C&cc electric fees (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
My electricity bill at home I pay £33 per month 3 adults using, even cooking with electric. just looking at site prices C&CC......cant get on CC site at moment for some reason.........for 1 or 2 adults for 28 nights electric they are asking £101.25. on top of pitch fee of over £200. I know profits have to be made and we all moan about energy prices at home, so imagine having your electric bill like this then gas,water etc. rather high profit margin here. perhaps the directors and David Bellamy are taking to much out for themselves.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Sorry but that is only £10.75 per night.....

Try getting a B & B for anywhere near that....:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I questioned this and the site fee recently (costed per person and not per unit) and was told that it is the members that set the fees (elected)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It sounds alot. But it works out at about £3.60 per day.
We very rarely get hook up.
It annoys us that the difference is only a couple of quid in some cases.
We personally think that there should be meters on each pitch. Then a lot lower pitch fee could be set. We have a solar panel , halogen lights , trojan batteries and an excellent inverter. Having the Webasto ( diesel ) heating , gas cooker means we dont even need hook up for those . So.....
The higher the charge for the electric the lower the charge for the pitch would be better for us.

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Sorry but that is only £10.75 per night.....

Try getting a B & B for anywhere near that....:Angry:
If you went to a B&B and they said to you before you start your electric charge will be £10.75 then the room charge on top would you still stay.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it is illegal to charge more per unit than the electric company charge the site so some expaination needs to be forthcoming.

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
Apart from the obvious at recovering fitting and maintenance costs for site owners I often wonder if those that piss take with their electric use spoil it for all. I once knew some one living on a cl site (went away for a weekend every so often to break the time rules) when he was out all day at work he left an oil filled rad on full all day. His electric use must have cost the owners more a week than he was paying on site fees! You see it often on sites, the attitude I'm paying for it so I'll use a fan heater and everything else possible.

Perhaps meters would be the way to go but suspect that would also put the cost up!

it is illegal to charge more per unit than the electric company charge the site so some expaination needs to be forthcoming
Perhaps the whole site bill is averaged by use, so those that don't take the piss with their use are paying for those that do.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Is this a club site? £101.25 sounds like an odd figure if it is, whereas 28 * £3.75 = £105, i.e. you're paying for a service pitch (£3.75) which is the same charge across all club sites.

The £10.75 per night that Derek referred to was for everything wasn't it - pitch + electric + facilities?

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
If you went to a B&B and they said to you before you start your electric charge will be £10.75 then the room charge on top would you still stay.

Sorry I don't get the point you are trying to make.....A B&B would cost you a minimum of £25 pn....take a fiver off for the breakfast and it would still be costing you £20...

The bottom line is simple....if you don't like the charges then don't pay them.....cause and effect?

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Sorry Acting-Strange I misread your reply........trying to do too many things at once.,you are right but my point is £33 at home and £100+ on a campsite, C&CC site Chertsey Surrey 1st November to 28th.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My electricity bill at home I pay £33 per month 3 adults using, even cooking with electric. just looking at site prices C&CC......cant get on CC site at moment for some reason.........for 1 or 2 adults for 28 nights electric they are asking £101.25. on top of pitch fee of over £200. I know profits have to be made and we all moan about energy prices at home, so imagine having your electric bill like this then gas,water etc. rather high profit margin here. perhaps the directors and David Bellamy are taking to much out for themselves.

Camp sites pay commercial rate for leccy .. last time I checked it was about 14p per kwh .. so let's do the sums..

Assuming you have a 16A EHU .. at 230v that equals 3.68 kw which costs the site about 50p per hour.

in winter many will be using leccy heating .. and as we know, some do take the piss by running 2kw fan heaters in awnings .. so in theory you could use £12 per day .. £360 per month.. sites make a loss on electric during winter but it is offset by less use in summer..

Still think it expensive ?

I agree with the previous poster that metered is fairer..

Our friends installed card meters on their CL as they were making a huge loss due to abuse of leccy.. They now just about make a profit .. they charge the going rate at 14p per kw.

Far from being expensive, card reading meters are relatively cheap and not difficult to install in the existing EHU post DB. .. but not popular with campers who run fan heaters 24/7

As for your domestic bill, you obviously aren't using space heating ... Our house is all electric, we have Economy 7 (or whatever they call these days,) our monthly DD is £85 . That's a small 2 bed bungalow.. we don't heat the bedrooms nor the hot water tank.. we have an electric shower, but only take showers in the off peak period..

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I suppose its the convenience and demand but I could easily live with that.....at home i pay a regular monthly payment of £148....think i'll have to go full time on a C&CC site :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
what able the VAT eliment, as its a comercail supply (to the site ) it would be 20%, which would be reclaimable, but it would also need be charged to the finnal user (camper) at that rate by the club

so the £100 ( or so for ease of caculations)

would be ineffect £16.60 vat £83.33 elec used

or am I wrong?

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I suppose its the convenience and demand but I could easily live with that.....[HI]at home i pay a regular monthly payment of £148[/HI]....think i'll have to go full time on a C&CC site :thumb:

Are you running a Cannabis farm PJ?:RollEyes:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I totally agree with the rip off pricing for electric on sites. One thing I must add in there favour is the greedy campers. These, in my opinion are mainly caravan owners. How many times do you see an awning as big as the caravan with two people pitched, they have one or two halagen heaters burning ALL day. This is where most of the money goes. Motorhome owners are actually subsidising all these heavy electricity users. We, as sensible campers, are the caravan sites bread and butter and our frugal useage makes them more profits. It has always been the same, caravan sites are designed for caravans, us motorhomers are just a steady gravy train to the owners. You just need to look through either the CC or the C&CC magazine and find articles regarding motorhomes. Most months we don't even get a mention and if we are lucky enough to have a motorhome review it consists of a full page picture, a half page advert then a half page review which is normally rubbish. The big clubs are now starting to find things difficult and are offering tempting prices for breaks and special offers so it serves them right.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
£33 per month would suggest that at home you use gas for water and space heating. The CCs problem is that many motorhomes can consume far more KWhs than you do at home. Many like to use a fan heater in their awning running 24 hrs or A/C keeping things cool. The same usage at your home would cost far more than your £33 per month. Compare like for like and you have a better understand of the CC charges.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I dont understand why those bright orange halogen heaters are popular, they use plenty of electric but other than they give a cheery glow, they give next to nothing heat wise unless you are right infront of them. at least the old fashioned electric bar fires did throw out a fair amount of heat.
I have my awning up and if its cold i use one of those camping gas fires to warm it, works a treat.(my awning is a canvas/polycotton one though)

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Campsites have been down this year as a whole. Friend of mine has a CL which has been booked more than usual due to the price being so low.

There are many sites that are charging £30 plus per night which is ridiculous in my opinion, especially as many of those have no facilities - but it is those that have suffered as people are hunting out the CLs'

There will also be hose that have had a bad season so have raised their prices - if you think less along the lines of how much electric you have used, and think more on the lines of water, sewage and the council taxes that are included in the pitch fee then it makes more sense. If you take a friends cl - 25k a year for council tax on the site alone. That is alot of money for a retired farm to find.

We have full timed for about a year or just over now - we pay £2 a night, but use gas for heating the van mainly - we do have an electric heater, but that only is used for boosting now and again for 20 min inertals every 4 hours in the winter when we are home. Uses 400 watts on full blast, but we have never had it on full as yet. That equates to something like an hour and a half a day in total. When we plan heating, we always count units to ensure we are under total allowance per day. It is only fair!

That said - we have acclimatised to cooler living....not had a cold yet! No illnesses, no bugs....its' a healthy life!!:thumb:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
The big clubs are now starting to find things difficult and are offering tempting prices for breaks and special offers so it serves them right.

The C&CC had at least 2 special offers this summer, so I guess the crap weather (and economy?) must have had some effect. Mind you, there were plenty of restrictions on where/when you could use them.

To be honest, I find it hard to get annoyed at the EHU prices when I compare them to the Forest Holidays (owned by the C&CC) pitch prices, especially when it comes to the high season, and their new bank holiday price band. £19.60 for one person + EHU in the New Forest. £24.60 bank holiday. No facilities. They obviously think they'll get enough families booking that they needn't worry about solo campers walking away.

If I'm not mistaken they're still making a loss on the Forest Holidays stuff....I'm not surprised.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you running a Cannabis farm PJ?:RollEyes:
I wish...at least i would get some payback :roflmto:

just gone down from £153pm and an £84 rebate.

we are all electric except heating which is oil fired......dont get me going on the cost of heating our [STRIKE]igloo[/STRIKE] house in winter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back