Sorry...leisure batteries again. (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I currently have one AGM 100Ah leisure battery with a solar panel and controller connected to it. If I want to double up with two batteries side by side do I connect +ve/+ve, -ve/-ve? And what about the solar panel controller connections? +ve to one battery, -ve to the other or both to one battery?
I know the answer is probably somewhere here but I only have a few years left!

[HI]http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/second leisiure battery.htm[/HI]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tony, yes...pos to pos / neg to neg.
solar controller goes to one battery only.

always fit a fuse (30amp should be big enough) to both ends of the pos connecting wire between batteries unless they are so close as to not be vulnerable to cable damage.

if they are side by side i would still fit one fuse in the pos wire.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've posted your own answer to half the question.

The solar just connect + to + and - to - wherever is convenient on the batteries because effectively you have only one big battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just be sure the fuse(s) between batteries are big enough if you run an inverter. A 1.5 kw inverter needs a 150A fuse between the batteries and a 300A fuse in the inverter supply.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
someone said maybe on here maybe somewhere else about if you connect the batteries together + to + and - to - then connect the load + on one battery and - on the other battery its better for the batteries as the load is spread across both instead of onto one battery.

something to do with balance although this is supposed to be more effective on larger battery banks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
someone said maybe on here maybe somewhere else about if you connect the batteries together + to + and - to -[HI] then connect the load + on one battery and - on the other battery its better for the batteries as the load is spread across both instead of onto one battery.[/HI]

something to do with balance although this is supposed to be more effective on larger battery banks.

that is the correct way :thumb:

if you only have 2 batteries, then simply linking them together and taking the main feeds from diagonally opposite corners cannot be improved upon.

more here , for large battery banks http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back