To chip, or not to chip (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
That is the question. A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that he chipped his 4x4 and gets around 20% better fuel economy. I've always been sceptical of these but he is genuine and an engineer. What's everyone else's experience on here?
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
he chipped his 4x4 and gets around 20% better fuel economy.

I'd believe it when I'd personally monitored it over several tankfuls.

Fuel is burnt to do work to haul the vehicle, chipping it does not alter that equation. You've got to ask "why would a manufacturer send out a vehicle with a map so bad 20% of the fuel is wasted ?".

I wonder if it has been previously remapped with a disaster map ?

We re-flashed our van, excellent improvement in torque but non in fuel apart from my first outing when I used all that new torque and dropped the fuel from 25 mpg to 20 mpg, but I did give it some stick. However it was a well worth exercise because it now climbs hills a gear or two higher.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
10% improvement is more likely and acheivable. as in under 3mpg rather than 6mpg improvement. the torque increase is worth the monet as the engine doesnt need to work so hard

its all about emissions though and your likey to make more soot after chipping

chipped last 3 navaras from new, so this is from experience

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as TB1 said, an improvement in torque will mean less time/distance in lower gears, revving higher, so a fuel saving could be possible....but not 20% :Doh:

in todays world of folks looking for better economy from their vehicles the manufacturers would fall over themselves designing a new chip which gave a 20% improvement over the rest of the market and fit it as standard as a selling point.
just look at the car market with 60mpg+ cars.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
as TB1 said, an improvement in torque will mean less time/distance in lower gears, revving higher, so a fuel saving could be possible....but not 20% :Doh:

in todays world of folks looking for better economy from their vehicles the manufacturers would fall over themselves designing a new chip which gave a 20% improvement over the rest of the market and fit it as standard as a selling point.

This is the point, the manufacture of the engine has to pass the emissions cert. this is set at certain engine speeds and loads,

The aftermarket does not.

I also think 20% is very optimistic.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

The dark side had some real experts on this subject, I'm sure the info is their for the taking if anyone really wants to know the true facts.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back