Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I phone is due for an upgrade
Thinking of dumping the Apple infavour of the Galaxy 111 Blue Pepple

And dumping T Mobile due to their anti Tethering policy and Data limits1.5 gig or is that enough a month??

In Favour of 3s All you can eat and tether on their One Plan

Is 3s coverage as good as T mobiles I have never had a problem with the T Mobile coverage, and added to which they seem to be joining up with BT for free use of the Hot Spots should I bite the bullet and stay with them
For and against please
Geo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience Three has the best coverage of them all. I have all you can eat data and use the iphone as a hot spot/tethered. No probs:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We went with 3 too, and it seems to work pretty well, when I can be a$$$ed to use it:Blush:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am with Vodafone and they are crap.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Mrs B is with 3 for her iPhone. She's never had any problems with coverage though it was a struggle to cancel the dongle he used a while ago, they weren't going to give up a customer without a fight. I had thought of changing but I may stay with O2 to give different options when we're out and about.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

And dumping T Mobile due to their anti Tethering policy and Data limits1.5 gig or is that enough a month??

Is 3s coverage as good as T mobiles I have never had a problem with the T Mobile coverage, and added to which they seem to be joining up with BT for free use of the Hot Spots should I bite the bullet and stay with them
For and against please
Geo

I have found 3 coverage on my phone good so far, including at home as we don't have a landline I use a MiFi on 3, been with them for 4 years now.

My backup is having Jean's phone on O2 via GiffGaff so if my signal goes we use hers, but we can find when in the Highlands there is no signal.:Doh:

Keith & Jean

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have an iPhone and an S2 both on 3 all you can eat great phones fantastic service. You can even understand their helpline India.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've got the Blackberry phone on O2 and a 3 Mifi router never fail to connect with one or the other.
The 3 Mifi is a brilliant bit of kit even use it at home now less than a tenner a month for 10gig in fact don't have a BT line and don't want one. Had vodaphone for years but it was crap when travelling it was the reason I went to O2.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are now on 3 with all you can eat data, on the one plan.

Had no problem with signal all over Scotland, North of England, East of England, Wales, and all along the south coast. in fact its good everywhere.

I can tether two iPads and two laptops to my iPhone and all of us can stream data at the same time. I watch Sky Sports live and the kids watch You tube etc...

We had Vodafone, each time I cancelled a contract they tried to tell me about there "wonderful" coverage. When I told them I cant even get a signal in my own house, (in town) and their 3G signal is next to useless everywhere, they then told me they would have a 50% signal improvement later in the year. I asked, why do you have to improve your signal, you have just told me it is already so good?.... They went a bit quiet..

So....

3 - All you can eat......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

or

Vodafone - All day with no signal....:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Geo
3 is the best with 02 second, make sure you get a plan with Tethering allowed as not all plans allow Tethering. I have Tethered my iPhone (3yrs laptop) and iPad no problem

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

For and against please
Geo

giffgaff are offering
for £10.00 payg a month
1gigtethered
unlimited texts
250 mins
free calls to other giffgaff
for three months

or £12.00 no tethering but unlimited mobile interweb

plus 250 mins and texts

rthese will be the new rates novemberish

dont forget to get your iphone unlocked
they sell better and you can stick any sim in it wheree er you are

if your interested look at the bottom of this post
also visit giffgaff for theire goodybags

the sims are free minimum £10. top up + gives £5. gift first time
they run on o2 network and web based
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks all for the heads up.:thumb: it looks like 3 wins hands down for my particular needs, ::bigsmile:thanks for the alternative suggestions re internet access and other SPs
I have been totaly amazed at the legnths T Mobile have gone to in oder to try and keep my business, even resorting to outright lies and false promises, once signed up try then to convince them I was lied too:Angry: even read back to them from their T&C's I was told i was wrong re their tethering policy, The web is full of complaints and warnings and they don't believe those either
G

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Thanks all for the heads up.:thumb: it looks like 3 wins hands down for my particular needs, ::bigsmile:thanks for the alternative suggestions re internet access and other SPs
I have been totaly amazed at the legnths T Mobile have gone to in oder to try and keep my business, even resorting to outright lies and false promises, once signed up try then to convince them I was lied too:Angry: even read back to them from their T&C's I was told i was wrong re their tethering policy, The web is full of complaints and warnings and they don't believe those either
G

Still get your I phone unlocked then you can use it on three as well

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Pammies claimed that, to finish off her T mobile contract :thumb:
Then its all change again:Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If I cancel my Vodafone contract and unlock my iPhone can I put a 3 sim in it on a contract?

What I mean is can I take on a 3 contract without having to buy a phone?

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If I cancel my Vodafone contract and unlock my iPhone can I put a 3 sim in it on a contract?

Yes HERE £12.90 gets you a sim only contract with 1 gig data loadsa mins and text
OR
£12.90 200 mins 500 text and all you can eat data, be aware tethering is not allowed on all plans so check
Or for the truly unlimited data and tethering you need the £25 one plan
G

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
On our recent holiday down to Newquay from Ipswich and back via Nottingham the wife and daughter were continuously on the net via the 3mifi. Never lost the signal once.:thumb:

Ian

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
On our recent holiday down to Newquay from Ipswich and back via Nottingham the wife and daughter were continuously on the net via the 3mifi. Never lost the signal once.:thumb:

Ian

Good to hear Ian:thumb: Making the change today:thumb:
G

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I dunno about tethering in a motorhome!

The travellers around these parts tether their horses on grass verges, not in their caravans!::bigsmile:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When you finish with T Mobile make sure you get the pac correct we had endless trouble this year switching managements mobile from them.

If you get the Android there is the option of tethering but there is a option also to use the phone as a WiFi Hotspot which seems to work fine for us on the O2 network.

I have recently binned a vodafone dongle as the most useless thing I have ever bought - it has been replaced with a 3 MiFi unit which as others have said is brilliant and has yet never failed to connect with a good speed. We have been in some places where you would expect an iffy signal.
( a few years ago I had a phone with 3 and changed due to their poor coverage but boy has that coverage improved now)

I dont think you will regret going to 3

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

it then becomes the same asan i phone purchased direct from apple

mrs t had an i phone originally daughters unlocked from o2 while still in contract
now has a payg sim in it but only used as an alarm clock?!!!!!!:Doh:

i purchased an i phone 3 years ago new as a payg had a rolling sim contract
had it unlocked by o2 had three differant sims in it virgin t mob back to giffgaff(o2)
at the moment

the plus side you can get rolling sim contracts which are a better deal

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
if you want a phone unlocked

get it done while in contract

its then good for any network

you can put any sim in it

good for when your travling

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Another good point to go for 3 Geo, I have just upgaded my phone and as an existing customer they gave me a higher contract with greater freebies for £10 a month less.

Just call 333 and talk to the Indian gentleman. :ROFLMAO:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Please can you explain what 'tethering' means in the above context (no I don't mean the horse! ::bigsmile: ) I tried to download some banking software and was told I couldn't because my tablet was tethered.:Blush:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Please can you explain what 'tethering' means in the above context (no I don't mean the horse! ::bigsmile: ) I tried to download some banking software and was told I couldn't because my tablet was tethered.:Blush:

Using a Tablet or Lap Top on the WWW through your Phone
ie using your Phone as a Modem Is the ususal definitiopn in this context:thumb:
It is frowned upon by most service providers now, unless you pay for the privalage, downloading like that eats up any allowance you may have, they tend to let you get away with tethering if your just browsing, start downloading and the bells and whistles start flashing at HQ:Doh:
I you case it looks like they may have blocked you
Geo

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back