Motorhome crime stats for France (1 Viewer)

bhbh

Free Member
Sep 27, 2012
Shirley
Funster No
MH
small camper bongo
Exp
Hi
Anyone got a link(s) to official crime statistics for France in relation to motorhomes/campsites/aires please?

THanks

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi
Anyone got a link(s) to official crime statistics for France in relation to motorhomes/campsites/aires please?

THanks

Yep.
Price of beer is criminal.

Errrr.... Nope !

Have you one for UK ?:Eeek::Eeek:

Amicalement

Frankie

Yep.
Price of beer is criminal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I can give you my stats..
12 years.. France 0
Spain 1 break in at a carrefour car park..

Is the question because you have been reading the wrong threads and getting anxious ??

Even if these did exist they would never be acurate as i guess some people would not bother to report it and just want to move on..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Motorhome Crime.

We have a Report A Crime facility on FUN, the reports are plotted on a Google Map.

Started in Jan 2009, almost four years ago .. and in that time had only FOUR reports of incidents in France..
I'm not suggesting that it is the full picture, but it does show that they are few and far between.... :Smile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Having too much time on my hands before the quiz at 8.00, I tried researching the position for England. For 2010/11 I can offer you 100700 thefts OF a motor vehicle and 297323 thefts FROM a motor vehicle. This is from data.gov.uk at http://data.gov.uk/dataset/theft_of_a_motor_vehicle/resource/ba7916a4-02aa-44d8-8ebb-9d32ac7326fd

Searching that site for 'motorhome' or motorcaravan' produced zero results and so I assume the bizzies are not required to record that info.

I suspect your chances of getting an accurate, as opposed to hypothesised, answer to your query must be next to zer0.

So, now that I've tried to answer what was your first post on MHF, can you let us know why you're askin?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Been going to Europe for 20 years with caravan & motorhome - had 1 attempted break in in Spain but it always occurs to me that tents don't have locks!!

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi

THanks

Nothing to worry about I used to live there for 10 years, hardly ever locked my car.:Smile:

Just get yourself over there and relax....:Cool:

You will soon forget about why you asked your question.......:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with many Funsters above. Have motorhomed in France for over thirty years and never had anything approaching trouble/theft/crime.

Mind you I only had a couple of thefts in Blighty (broken into in Blackpool and a "mate" robbed my van in Bath.)

I was in trouble with a French woman several times but it was nothing that a bit of FB pie and a cuddle couldn't fix. :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You'll love France. Try it and enjoy.

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
B

bhbh

Free Member
Sep 27, 2012
Shirley
Funster No
MH
small camper bongo
Exp
MOtorhome crime stats

Thanks for comments. Certainly encouraging but the web is overflowing with opposing opinions. I would like to know the french facts - if they can be found!
Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what was it they say about statistics? oh yes 86.988765454% are made up on the spot, the rest are just lies.

If travelling in France was so dangerous and left you at such risk of theft, why are all the cross channel ferries and the train so heavily booked. many thousands visit yearly, and from them a tiny minority have an issue. Mind you its as likely your going to be robbed or your van stolen outside your home

I recall reading a report in a magazine some time back with data compiled by major insurers, which showed your highest point of risk is in the hours before departure on holiday. All your treasured belongings are in the van and your back and to putting in last minute items, maybe even forgetting to lock the van.

You could worry about being robbed, but wheres the "FUN" in that?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There could be far mare than are reported as many are under the influence of gas while being robbed. They dont remember a thing.:Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Thanks for comments. Certainly encouraging but the web is overflowing with opposing opinions. I would like to know the french facts - if they can be found!
Cheers

It would be interesting to see where and whom on the web is giving the opposing opinions you are concerned about.

You have here the opinions of many people who are "doing it" all the time, and have first hand experience of many many long trips to France. :thumb:

Not the tales of some wannabe reporters, or numpties who heard a story from a man whose sister's cousin had a dog, who knew a cat, who had his Whiskas nicked on a Motorway Aire in France.......:Doh:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Cheers
We go to France twice a year and have done for years ......touring on motorcycle and with the motorhome never had a spot of bother.
Look how many members of this forum there are, and the amount of us that go to France, if crime where a problem you would definitely hear it here first.Relax and:thumb: enjoy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Been going to and through France and other bits of Europe and elsewhere since 1969.

Flying, driving, motorbiking - staying in hotels, villas, apartments, tents, gites, motorhome.

Thefts suffered :

Mainland Spain 1 (from a villa but people we were with had left roller shutter on balcony window open :Doh:) Mallorca Nil Ibiza Nil Menorca Nil Greece (various) Nil Begium Nil Holland Nil Luxembourg Nil France Nil Goa Nil Kerala Nil Maldives Nil Dom Repub Nil USA Nil Australia Nil

In 40 degrees and wondering how the hell we were gonna sleep I've lay in bed half hoping to be gassed so I could at least sleep! and then laid awake even longer worrying that I may have tempted providence ..... :Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can say have had bikes (push bikes )tampered with in france once had the straps on a bike rack cut but a chain on the rack to the bumper stopped them going .
in spain broken into once .at el saler.
broken into twice in morroco .almost on the same place at taghazoute .
never so far had any trouble in uk . or the rest of europe . have travelled a few east european countries and found them safer i think than france by far .
never had any other trouble in african countries and have been to several in a vehicle .

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i had two loungers stolen from outside of van in france....never mind they must have needed them more than me :Eeek:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
It doesnt matter what country you are in or where you a from, if you have something that someone particularly wants to steal, well they may just steal it.

Just choose your sites and aires carefully. There are usually funsters somewhere in europe who can recommend sites or tell you where they currently are. Just go join them and have fun.

If we all worried about what people would steal we would sit in our houses and never go out.

If its meant to happen it will. Just make sure you are insured well enough to be able to replace anything in the unlikely event something is stolen.

If you are just worried about the motorhome itself being stolen well get a tracker fitted. Theres a special offer on a tracker on fun with VanBitz. It was under £300 if I remember correctly. A tracker also drastically reduces insurance on many new/newer motorhomes dependent on where you live.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You lot laugh and joke as much as you like but it happens!

We woke up in July and all of our red wine was gone:Eeek:

It was locked safely inside the van, several bottles in fact. The thieves had carefully opened each bottle and presumably poured it into something else to carry it away as the corks and the bottles were still around the van:whatthe:

Also they had made a mess with cheese, butter and biscuits leaving a right mess on the table and on the worktops.

Worse still, I think that they had gassed us because we all had headaches and were very thirsty. We didn't hear a thing nor could we remember very much!

So beware!

Eddie

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
We have a Report A Crime facility on FUN, the reports are plotted on a Google Map.

Started in Jan 2009, almost four years ago .. and in that time had only FOUR reports of incidents in France..
I'm not suggesting that it is the full picture, but it does show that they are few and far between.... :Smile:

One of those was mine.:Blush:

Has it stopped me enjoying France, Spain, Portugal or anywhere else I fancy going?:whatthe:

Absolutely not!:thumb:

Pete:Cool:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Indeed, and I added three of mine Pete .. didn't stop us either but it did make me more aware and that the scrotes don't go on holiday :Angry:

Three????????:Eeek:

You need to have a word with your security people.:ROFLMAO:

Pete:Cool:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As long as you are aware of your surroundings and dont leave things around for invite to any would be scroats. I think on the whole France is actually safer than England, yes on the net you hear stories of ' we got robbed -
we must of been gassed' thats because usually they have drank too much and not secured things as they would normally if at home -

The main thing to remember to take with you is common sense - if you stop somewhere and it doesnt 'feel right' move on to the next place, most will tell you not to stop on the motorway aires over night or the picnic aires along the road but use a proper motorhome aire or campsite.

You will find most of us do not believe the gas stories, sorry but gas kills they have to be very careful when giving it you for an op and it is weight specific to a person, so if someone can put gas in the motorhome in order to rob how come we havent had fatalities not even pets have died from 'gassing' - not possible as not everyone weighs the same. Not disputing that some have been robbed but it was not by gassing, more a case of letting their guard down having a drink too many or having driven for too long and not securing their enviroment properly.
Remember to shut windows roof vents properly place a secondary locking on doors - even one of those kits for house doors that allow it to open fractionally with the chain, something that makes a noise if its tampered with but is easy for you to remove and exit the vehicle if need be.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
You lot laugh and joke as much as you like but it happens!

We woke up in July and all of our red wine was gone:Eeek:

It was locked safely inside the van, several bottles in fact. The thieves had carefully opened each bottle and presumably poured it into something else to carry it away as the corks and the bottles were still around the van:whatthe:

Also they had made a mess with cheese, butter and biscuits leaving a right mess on the table and on the worktops.

Worse still, I think that they had gassed us because we all had headaches and were very thirsty. We didn't hear a thing nor could we remember very much!

So beware!

Eddie

SHIT!!!!!, is that what's happening to us every time wo go on a trip? Those bas*#~$s must be following us around Europe with a tanker full of gas. There was me putting it down to over indulgance. Must go and tell the wife to put another few bottles in the van - were in the clear!
:thumb:

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
i am currently camping at Prairies de la Mer (St Tropez) in southern France on an ACSI site if you have a good look around this part of the coast you will find you have to pay on most aires, and that most of the ones you pay for are full. The last aire we were on was €16.80 and this is because most have fencing or security. weve been on the road since april, France, Holland, Belgium Spain and Portugal and making our way back home but the French Med coast isnt good, last Tuesday we stayed on a free aire at Marsellie le Plage near Montpellier and guess what at 4 am ish someone broke in through the passenger door we were lucky we were disturbed so they didnt take anything but the French campers around us are of the opinion GB campers are targetted possibly for passports and fiats are easy to get into (apparently so) its not going to spoil our trip but a tip! if its a dodgy place or your not happy about it move or failing that take some rope and tie together the driver/passenger doors and keep valuables in the back of the van it seems they get in through the door and reach around to see what they can find. The flicking off and on of their torch woke my missus up and i got sore feet chasing them across a pebble car park in my grundys only to see dark figures jump into a waiting car and drive off. everyone camping down here is very concious of the crime being committed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back