Failed deisel Filter....expensive !!! (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Has anyone had their deisel filter fail on them on thier Fiat...mine is a 2009 3 litre ? Happened to me last week when we were at Black Knowl CC site in the new forest.

Made a bit of a mess of the sevice road but the wardens were very good and helpful as were the AA....who came out fast and got a new filter and fitted it in 48 hours.

it was the opinion of the AA man and an expert fiat motorhome man staying there...that it failed almost certianly due to being fitted incorrectly at the last service.

Special tools are needed to hold the filter in a vice and to torque the lid to the specified level. I was told doing it up "tight" was not good enough and it would fail if not done as specced.

Anyone else suffered this ???..at £218 for a new filter its worth knowing its an issue.

barry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes, ours went on the way to Spain in 2011.

Its a 2008 2.3 multi jet.

The Spaniards on site were going ape about the diesel spraying out.

A chap from a local Fiat dealer came out to fix it. I think it cost about 150 euros plus a tip for the mechanic who was really helpful and fitted us in on 2 consecutive evenings after work.

It had actually gone wrong half way through France but I thought the trail of liquid was from the air conditioning as I inspected it during fag breaks:Doh:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Fuel filter

Our's went 2 weeks ago, all correctly fitted, suddenly started to leak from the securing ring which was tight, fitted a new filter and sealing ring, all OK now.
PS Raining in the Mosel valley today.!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Our's went 2 weeks ago, all correctly fitted, suddenly started to leak from the securing ring which was tight, fitted a new filter and sealing ring, all OK now.
PS Raining in the Mosel valley today.!!

Did you use a new runner sealing ring? and did you torque it up as specced.
I'm told if you dont use the special cradle and tool which fits over the top to grip it the body distorts.

Made of plastic ? its mad !
Wht they dont have a fully replaceable unit that just slots in and out like many oil filters I dont know ??

barry

and its raining here in sussex too :)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Did you use a new runner sealing ring? and did you torque it up as specced.
I'm told if you dont use the special cradle and tool which fits over the top to grip it the body distorts.

Made of plastic ? its mad !
[HI]Wht they dont have a fully replaceable unit that just slots in and out like many[/HI] oil filters I dont know ??

barry

and its raining here in sussex too :)

Not enough profit if its easy to change

It's persisting here in tilbury Essex as well
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread