Quality Control???? (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Over the years I've had several new caravans and all were plagued with faults on receipt but to be fair my Autoquest 120 motor home was relatively free of defects when I received it.
This weekend I was viewing some 2013 model caravans and I couldn't believe the way they had been turned out of the factory, the defects were mostly down to poor adjustments but you couldn't help but notice them , things like overhead locker doors out of alignment with each other, bathroom doors not closing, bathroom wash basins set in sealant and smeared over the worktops, God knows what else you would find if you took one out and tested all the functions.
I was considering new again but not now, I'd have thought the quality problems I have experienced in the past would be long overcome with modern manufacturing processes but evidently not. I'll take my time now and search out a pre- loved one that will be in as good condition as my Autoquest 120 that I sold last week.:Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
would be long overcome with modern manufacturing processes

Long term British tradition, never invest in modern. Especially right now, not only using age old methods but cutting back to minimum labour.

But knowing how they are made, a bit, there really isn't much change from 50 years ago. More moulded units, lighter boards, CNC machining but essentially still assembled by hand by low paid workers probably on some bonus scheme.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Same problems reported in the Yank forums..

as Brian said, cheap labour who don't care ..

If they employed skilled labour and paid 'tradesman's' rates your van would be double or even treble the price..

I doubt we will ever see modern assembly lines as we have in car plants.. the volumes are just too low for such high investment ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Seems to be the norm nowadays.

Recently I was at a Land Rover dealers in Lincs, with a friend who needed some parts, so i thought i would look around the showroom whilst waiting.

Looking at a new discovery, i opened the door, mmmmmmm, very nice, then the salesman descended upon me with the most off putting sales opener known to man, "can i help you sir"?

To which everyone replies, "no thanks, just looking". And as i closed the door, the door mirror glass fell to the floor and broke into a thousand pieces.

"Nice to see the workmanship hasn't altered" says i, "that shouldn't have happened", says he.

Too right it shouldn't have happened, on a car costing tens of thousands of pounds.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back