Breathalisers for France (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Is it necessary to buy breathalisers for French travel that have bags attached to them or are the ones that comprise of just a tube ok? Anyone know of best places to purchase them please?
:Doh:

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that I am led to believe that they have to be "NF" approved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We got ours in a 'tabac' in France but only after trying a lot of places as we toured.
I was surprised by this.

Wyn

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Well said Frankie :Smile: too many people in making a killing out of this and that does include the ferry companies! I crossed Plymouth to Roscoff and they were 7 pounds for 2 !!!

You will not be fined till 1st November so please to not allow the scaremongers to rip you off . They do need to be NF but you can buy them here.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am not buying any.

Why should I?

I would rather pay the fine if I ever get stopped.

Who do the French think they are imposing silly regimes?

Tell them to stuff it:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I am not buying any.

Why should I?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Where did you say you were born ? Any french roots by any chance? If not... well be careful ... you start sounding like a frog :roflmto::roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was told last week in France that it wont be enforced till November and there is a good chance that it wont be enforced then. Dont know how true it is.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yep me too. The law is the law in any country whether you like or not or even if you think it is silly !!!

ps The French themselves are not that happy either so let them deal with their own laws. Is not anyone else's right to decide and certainly not folks from another country !!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yep me too. The law is the law in any country whether you like or not or even if you think it is silly !!!

ps The French themselves are not that happy either so let them deal with their own laws. Is not anyone else's right to decide and certainly not folks from another country !!

I agree.

I will take the 11 euro fine option though.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Just a point somebody mentioned to me, if you are supposed to carry two, but are unfortunate to get stopped and use one, don't forget to restock has then you will be then liable to a fine if your rearly unlucky. Pete :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi
Just a point somebody mentioned to me, if you are supposed to carry two, but are unfortunate to get stopped and use one, don't forget to restock has then you will be then liable to a fine if your rearly unlucky. Pete :thumb:

That's why it's daft. Perhaps you only get half the fine then.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Peter that is correct but let's not panic yet !! I live here and have in my vehicles but holiday makers do not worry . No fines till November and as I said don't be ripped off by the scaremongers !!!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have to admire the true British tradition, obey.
As soon as another country brings out a rule we are falling over ourselves to comply, that's good I suppose. Why can't we be like all the visitors and refugees to this country, just stick two fingers up and laugh. It is like the health and safety rules. I am begining to think they were created so the rest of the world could have a good laugh at us obeying them all when they just get on with life as normal.
No doubt the French breathaliser law is an excuse for UK sellers to once again rip us off selling them. How can the price difference be so great, greed comes to mind.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Peter that is correct but let's not panic yet !! I live here and have in my vehicles but holiday makers do not worry . No fines till November and as I said don't be ripped off by the scaremongers !!!

Hi I am not going to France at the moment, we usually go Spain via Santander I was only stating what had been pointed out to me , it's like the A frames in Spain It doesn't matter to me I don't use one, but people are being fined and after November it will happen in France with the breatherliser it's easy money for the police. Pete :Sad::Sad:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I agree with Treacle! Happy to obey laws that say I must behave or not behave in a certain way, but laws that tell me to buy summat I'm equally happy to ignore. If any Funster has personal experience of being fined for non-possession of any of the myriad items we are supposed to have with us whilst in France I would be very interested to hear their story.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Will it reduce the number of drunk drivers ?

If the answer is no then it's about as stupid as carrying a pregnancy test kit to reduce unwanted pregnancies.. :RollEyes:

As already mentioned, who has every been asked to produce any one of the myriad of 'must have's ' while in France .. ? I've been stopped and checked several times and never been asked to produce anything other than the legal docs we all carry..

I just can't see the logic in this law. ..

Oldhymer

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
Charente Maritime, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years, but not as frequently as we'd like!
Is it necessary to buy breathalisers for French travel that have bags attached to them or are the ones that comprise of just a tube ok? Anyone know of best places to purchase them please?
:Doh:
They must be 'NF' (Norme Francaise) marked to be legal and I'm not sure you can buy those in the UK at the moment (they are the tube type although you can buy the very expensive re-usable ones). They are very hard to find here in France at the moment and the Gendarmerie are not going to enforce the law until 1st November. We have two cars a motorbike (yes they need them too!) and the camping car and whether we will be able to buy them in time is anyone's guess as there is apparently only one 'NF' recognised manufacturer in France!
Incidently despite some reports in fact you will only need ONE per vehicle - the law says you must have one UNUSED tester in each vehicle, so if you don't drink and drive and don't use it you only need the one.

Fowey Phil

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Glambulance
Exp
Since 2008
I am not buying any.

Why should I?

I agree Chris
This is a really bad law, the breathalysers are not callibrated and therefore prove absolutely nothing. I think therefore all this nonsense is unenforceable. We should all refuse to be 'scared' into purchasing this rubbish.

Regards
Phil

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a pair at a show for around a fiver.

We now want a pair for the car.

Living in the Limousin we thought no problem,supermarket!!!

Pfft searched Aldi, Lidl, L'eclerc, Intermarche, Hyper u. Carrefour, and the local Tabac..........none to be found anywhere.

What does that tell you??? :Angry:

Anna

Free Member
Apr 19, 2012
Dordogne (orig.Scotland)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Feb 2012
We bought a pair at a show for around a fiver.

We now want a pair for the car.

Living in the Limousin we thought no problem,supermarket!!!

Pfft searched Aldi, Lidl, L'eclerc, Intermarche, Hyper u. Carrefour, and the local Tabac..........none to be found anywhere.

What does that tell you??? :Angry:

We live in the Dordogne and I noticed our local Aldi has them for sale at the check out! Haven't looked elsewhere as we're stocked up, thanks to returning guests having left theirs with us.....so gratuit for us!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Halfords under a fiver for 2

Halfords.. 2 for under a fiver...

When in Rome do as the Romans do. Wonder what would happen if we all just decided to obey what laws we liked and ignored the others.

Now I do not like traffic lights.. would I be wise to ignore them? do I need a fine and an endorsement? what about seat belts? do i need a fine and an endorsement etc., etc., .. so as I say when in Rome do as the Romans do. But then it is down to each of you to decide how you live and what you do.

Me? I think I would prefer to know as I head down the French highways that if I was stopped I would have the equipment I was required to have and not worry about fines.. same when in Spain.. I do not use a toad so I have no worries about being fined.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Halfords.. 2 for under a fiver...

[HI]When in Rome do as the Romans do[/HI]. Wonder what would happen if we all just decided to obey what laws we liked and ignored the others.

Now I do not like traffic lights.. would I be wise to ignore them? do I need a fine and an endorsement? what about seat belts? do i need a fine and an endorsement etc., etc., .. so as I say when in Rome do as the Romans do. But then it is down to each of you to decide how you live and what you do.

Me? I think I would prefer to know as I head down the French highways that if I was stopped I would have the equipment I was required to have and not worry about fines.. same when in Spain.. I do not use a toad so I have no worries about being fined.

Bob

Thats what I intend doing. Not many French will buy them.::bigsmile:

Seriously though I dont recognise laws by one member state that affect all other citizens from the other member states but which are not applied Europe wide.

Not saying I am right, because I am clearly wrong, but I am not buying breathalyser kits.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Thats what I intend doing. Not many French will buy them.::bigsmile:

Seriously though I dont recognise laws by one member state that affect all other citizens from the other member states but which are not applied Europe wide.

Not saying I am right, because I am clearly wrong, but I am not buying breathalyser kits.

Like yur style......but sounds expensive!:Eeek:

Got my money the hard way and £5 sounds cheaper than a fine but that's just me.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Lived in France for over 5 years and been stopped once, just a regular roadside check. May have been training exercise as gendarme was very young (bless). Only wanted to see my driver's licence (UK licence, French registered car) Just waved me on my way.
No-one has ever asked to see my spare bulbs (I have a wide selection!!) triangles, first aid kit or fluorescent jackets (again, various on board)
Do have a NF breathalyser thingy but alcohol makes me ill, so don't think that last half glass of wine I had in 2006 would affect my driving now.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back