Great time was had - Thank you all (1 Viewer)

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Back home after our first trip abroad in Helga.
A big sincere Thank you to all for your help along our way. We have learnt so much so thought it might be useful to jot these down for other novice travellers.
1) Parking along the Marine Parade at Dover before catching the 8am DFDS ferry was no problem
2) Purchasing the VIP ferry ticket does not get you priority boarding but gets you into the VIP lounge with free wi-fi
3) Ferry crossing good price compared to the tunnel but could have got it cheaper if booked through the CC club.
4) Bray Dunes was a good first stop but preferred the site at Arques which we used as a last stop on the way home - Thank you FIDGET (Terry)
5) Could have saved money by using more free or very cheap Aires
6)Cheap wine in German supermarkets
7) The site Manager at Burg Lahneck was very strict but the visit to the castle good.
8) Parking next to the beach at Le Touquet was great although quite a stroll into town and meal out pricy.
9) Loved Brugge worth a visit but large beers are VERY large!
10) Great but fairly expensive campsite at Valkenburg (camping Oriental 30Euro/night) but spotless showers and heated pool
11) Taking bikes would be a good idea
12 ) 8 days is NOT long enough
13) You can learn so much from the people you meet along the way so don't be too shy to ask.
14) Get yourselves the Destinations travel journal and log book before you go. We didn't receive it before we left but have really enjoyed filling in the gaps.
::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
11) Taking bikes would be a good idea
::bigsmile:

Did we not tell you this ?

Bikes are just brilliant. Lets you "make progress". You walk at 3 mph but on a bike, over 10 mph. You see that much more and get to the same places.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
That's quite a useful list of observations for anyone crossing the channel for the first time. It is always a bit scary the first time (like anything, really) but I've not heard of anyone who didn't enjoy it or anyone who had a real problem. Glad you had a good time and I bet you can't wait to go again.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Did you manage to get to Arques aire? and what did you think. the park /water-gardens just behind are quite nice .Terry :rain: (I.o.W.)

OP
OP
H

Helga

Free Member
Aug 20, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi, Did you manage to get to Arques aire? and what did you think. the park /water-gardens just behind are quite nice .Terry :rain: (I.o.W.)

Yes it was a great spot, managed to do the last minute shopping close by.

Thank you so much for the tip.

Helga x

:thumb:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
JUNE

Have never used the VIP lounge but all the ferries have free WIFI on board I think. Some parts of the ship have a better signal than others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back