5th Wheel v RV (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Went to Newark at the start of the month and we had a look at a couple of 5th wheelers.

SHMBO loved the extra space with the slide out, all the fitments in the kitchen area and the island bed, wanted to buy one there and then.:Eeek:

Must admit I did like them myself and we are now considering one for the future. Liked the fact that once on location you have a vehicle to travel around in without towing. Started to look through threads on her and gathering info.
Seen a few items saying not easy to reverse, have to be straight on to mount and dismount, what are they like for towing and parking up ?

The other alternative would be an RV with the slide out, but would have to tow (wife disabled so need a car). Wouldn't want anything too big or too thirsty.

Obviously there are a lot of 5th wheel and RV owners on here so just looking for advice on the Pro's and Cons of them both.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have had an Rv for the last couple of years, and it is great, especially with the slide out. Loads of room, comfortable, easy to drive and bumble along with the cruise set, auto box, and not too thirsty.
However, family problems have dictated that we change to a fifth wheel outfit, again with a slide out, and American truck to tow.
I am in the process of selling my RV, and have yet to buy a 5er, but i have driven artics for many years, and as for reversing, a doddle, just a matter of getting used to it, and as for hitching 'straight on only', i do not see why!
I have hitched artics from 90 degrees, so i don't see why it would be any different. I know you cannot bang onto the pin from right angles, because of the legs being vulnerable, and there is no chamfered edge to the pin box if hitching either side of front, but if coupled gently, i do not see a problem.

Craig

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can't advise on fivers but look spacious but cumbersome to me but ideal for full timing I would think.
I'm on my third RV and tow a small car (Peugeot 107 ) behind no problem and a car this size much more economical and easier to park than some of the larger four wheel drive pick ups needed to pull a fiver .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for the replies Craig/Larry, i'm not overly worried about reversing, same principal as my twin axle trailer just bigger. Take it slow and get practice.

As for towing a 5er, i would prob want a 3 litre diesel 4 x 4 rather than an american truck so economy and parking shouldn't be too much of a prob.
Would only use it for towing and getting about when unhooked as we have a smaller Meriva for normal use.

Deleted User
I have never owned an RV so can only comment on my experience of using a 5'er for almost fulltiming (9 months of the year) for the last four years. A lot depends on what you intend to use the vehicle for, our 5'er is basically two berth, the alternative beds are too small for adults.We haven't found it convenient for short stops but that is primarily because of the amount of stuf(outside chairs, tables etc) we carry about some of which has to be stowed in the living area whilst travelling, the RV's that I have seen seem to have more locker storage especially the ones fitted with a 'pusher' engine

5'ers can be dropped and picked up at an angle but you are limited by the sides of the pickup and the landing legs are not strong enough to take much sideways force, we carry wooden blocks so we don't extend the legs fully.With most double cab pickups it is not possible to articulate to 90 deg so manoeuverability is slightly limited.We spend most of the year on the continent and the size of pitches and site roads is a problem, we do not now turn up at a site without checking access but this is also a problem with many RV's.I have driven artic's for 40+ years so reversing etc is not a problem but on a lot of continental sites there is simply not enough room and this limits choices.

The big plus points of the 5'er are space with the slideout and having a vehicle for everyday use but in my opinion are best suited for longer stays but others will have different experiences and use theirs in different ways.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My views which I feel are valid

Having had RV's for 25 years plus, I am of course going to say they are better - or am I?

Not all RV's are massive as we know.. mine is 23' something and have towed my Hyundai Matrix on a trailer all over the place and to France.. with the disabled scooters in the car.

You mentioned costs.. I would expect a tow vehicle for a 5ver would not be any cheaper to run hauling in effect a box behind it. While I have looked a a fair view.. seem some very nice one's and some not so good.

For me the access to the bedroom is an issue and the toilet seems smaller on a fiver than an RV.. well smaller than mine that is.

I have watched many hitch and unhitch.. some do it easy and others seem to make a mountain out of it... one of our members does it with a land rover with an extension part on the pin.

Getting in and out of them seems a big climb... and I felt a little unsafe on the stairs they have fitted.. just my own views from going on a number of them.

Lots of room inside with the slide out... That I will agree. But not to sure about the towing of them.... still need a meaty American Pickup so the fuel is not going to be cheap.

As my disability issues have got worse I have been looking at a toy hauler and that is the route I am taking when I have sold the Winnebago (again) ..

I am sure those that have them will tell you how wonderful they are as will RV owners.. but it has to be horses for course and you need to be sure it meets your needs.. I do have one question where do you store a scooter or any large heavy item... OK the front part has a flap and most have a generator in there.?

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i often wonder if some actually do go too big and make problems for them selves .
i have had mine 12 yrs now . best move i ever did . use the truck as a car . it fits in carpark spaces ok . yes bit heavier than a car on fuel but only one insurance . like some i can put disabled tax on it .
i have room for disabled scooter in back if needed . i use a m,bike instead. small dax style .
i,m sure there must be a uk company that can build to just what you need .
unfortunately the market doesnt cater for disabled folk at the moment very well.
but keep looking ,you may find just what you want . mine is bed over garage so doesnt suit you i agree . but im sure something must be out there.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
For me the access to the bedroom is an issue and the toilet seems smaller on a fiver than an RV.. well smaller than mine that is.

Ours has a fully enclosed bathroom and we have no problem with size (those that know us know that a small toilet would be an issue for us) - so not all fivers have small toilets.

Lots of room inside with the slide out... That I will agree. But not to sure about the towing of them.... still need a meaty American Pickup so the fuel is not going to be cheap.

You can tow our 30' fifth wheel with a Japanese pickup or even a 1500 American pickup - big yank tank not needed on all fivers - even so we have a Dodge 3500 diesel (needed for our demountable camper) and get 19mpg towing the fiver and 23mpg with the camper and have had 28mpg empty.

I am sure those that have them will tell you how wonderful they are as will RV owners.. but it has to be horses for course and you need to be sure it meets your needs.. I do have one question where do you store a scooter or any large heavy item... OK the front part has a flap and most have a generator in there.?

There again not all fifth wheels are the same - our 30' has plenty of storage, inside and out. Plenty of room to store a broken down mobility scooter of moderate size in the through locker or front locker - our mobility scooter breaks down and is stored on the back seat of the Dodge. Generators are not built into fifth wheels as standard like RVs, most have a mobile one stored in a locker which to be honest are far more economical to run than those fitted into RV's.

Our comments above are not biased as we are fifth wheel owners, but they are based on experience and fact.

Nigel and Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We have owned a fifth wheel going on for eight years - started with an old one and when we retired we bought our new one, two years ago as we loved the concept so much.

There are weight issues, which you must be aware of when purchasing a rig. We are more than happy to discuss the legalities with you via pm for anyone who is interested, before the possibility of you making an expensive mistake.

Having never towed a fifth wheel before, we were a little apprehensive, but we soon got used to it and it's so much easier than towing a caravan. It is not necessary to unhitch or hitch up straight on.

If everything has a home (ie have nothing stored in the habitation area, you can pack up, hitch and be on the road within 20 minutes, unhitching takes the same amount of time), so stopping over for one night is no problem. With ours you could sleep overnight with the slide in, some models this is not possible.

You only have one lot of insurance and if staying in one place for a while, you do not have an engine sitting there idle.

Due to mobility problems we have regrettably moved back into our house and will be putting the fiver up for sale in the next couple of weeks. The pick up we are keeping with the demountable. If any one wants to view the fifth wheel (even without the intention of purchasing) we would be more than happy to show and explain the in's and out's of the concept, as we liked it so much, it would be nice for others to enjoy. We are based in Suffolk.

Nigel and Pamala

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
5th Wheel

We also looked at them at Newark show, but when we got a quote for Insurance for an idea it came in about £800 which is miles dearer than our Dethleffs motorhome, and smart, so its put us off a bit.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Went to Newark at the start of the month and we had a look at a couple of 5th wheelers.

SHMBO loved the extra space with the slide out, all the fitments in the kitchen area and the island bed, wanted to buy one there and then.:Eeek:

Must admit I did like them myself and we are now considering one for the future. Liked the fact that once on location you have a vehicle to travel around in without towing. Started to look through threads on her and gathering info.
Seen a few items saying not easy to reverse, have to be straight on to mount and dismount, what are they like for towing and parking up ?

The other alternative would be an RV with the slide out, but would have to tow (wife disabled so need a car). Wouldn't want anything too big or too thirsty.

Obviously there are a lot of 5th wheel and RV owners on here so just looking for advice on the Pro's and Cons of them both.

PaulyP
I was talking to a chap down on a CCclub cl site down in Kent last week ...he had a (5er) 5th wheel with side out’s with an American pick up....he said CCC sites are now putting size limits on which restricts him from going on with his outfit...Canterbury is one...so just take that on board before you buy check available sites you can go on:Eeek::Doh:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for all the great replies, :thumb::thumb: I know it's subjective asking which is best but the answers can only be from the viewpoint of what you have.

The one's we looked at were spacious as far as toilets and showers were concerned, my wife found it easier to get in / out off than our Hymer ( 3 steps as opposed to 1) and a couple of steps up to the bedroom were no probs.

If we get more serious about a 5er then i will research insurance options, currently payed £500 for the M/H but only cause i added my son/son in law.

At the moment i am leaning towards an RV but lots more research to do before deciding. Ideally a 5er or RV would be around a max of 25 foot.

Will keep looking and hopefully change change next year.

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
I used to have a 7 metre motorhome. When it came to replacing it I went for a Kountrylite 26RK with a Toyota Hilux. Two of us have now been living in it for 18 months both in the UK and on the continent. Planning ahead for campsites is essential, but we have had very few problems. The decision to get a 5th wheel has, for us been the right one. A bit of shopping around for insurance was necessary but not too expensive. I feel anything longer than 8 metres could be a problem when touring but great for living in.

Mike

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
I used to have a 7 metre motorhome. When it came to replacing it I went for a Kountrylite 26RK with a Toyota Hilux. Two of us have now been living in it for 18 months both in the UK and on the continent. Planning ahead for campsites is essential, but we have had very few problems. The decision to get a 5th wheel has, for us been the right one. A bit of shopping around for insurance was necessary but not too expensive. I feel anything longer than 8 metres could be a problem when touring but great for living in.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .might be because of where i live ,but i pay 453quid with camptons only paid it last month. as to size a 5er is going to be smaller than an rv and car or trailer . mine is only 20ft altogether 10mtr . goes almost anywhere .
think some are built by companies that never have to use them .
you could get one built to suit you . :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back