Catching a Car Ferry East from Italy (1 Viewer)

Waz

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Western Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Newish
Hi All

I require some suggestions on a route plan and car ferry from Italy to Greece in February 2013. I'm considering putting the camper on the car ferry from Bari to Patra and driving to Athens before heading north to Austria. I have no idea of routes, or travel safety in that area and would welcome any advice from your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Waz

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have spent two winters in Greece but have always taken the ferry from Venice to Patras and back. People I have spoken too say the other crossings are fine. If you have time take in more of Greece. Especially the Pelopenese.

As regards the trip north to Austria , we met a couple who made the trip south that way and said they would not do it again. It took them 2 weeks from getting off the ferry from UK. Said some countries they did not feel too safe especially Albania and many roads were in a bad condition. But having said that it could be interesting and you could do an arc to miss Albania. I believe there is a 50 km part there where it is drive and just do not stop.

Not sure if that is of use :Smile:

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Anek from Venice

I'm in SW Crete right now and crossed from Venice to Patras Open Deck with Anek.

For my money Open Deck is the way to go especially if you have animals as you can say with them during the journey. On Kriti II there are toilets and showers on the car deck so I had no reason to go anywhere for the entire 32 hour trip. The crew leave you alone, you can see the sea, get out your table and chair and sit in the sun.

The trip from Piraeus to Souda is less amusing although the kennel area on the ship was reasonable. The trip is around 8 hours.

A number of years ago, 2001 I think, I travelled to Greece via Germany, Austria, Hungary, Roumania and Bulgaria. It was a long drive for one person. Roumania was interesting as they were driving horse-drawn carts with no lights on main roads. Bulgaria was not a good experience as the roads were very poor and quite dangerous. Near Sophia we ran into a huge pothole on the main ring road destroying two tyres. Whilst awaiting the tow truck we were robbed and the window smashed.

I think the Bulgarians have moved on since then investing EC money in infrastructure but I'm not sure I'd rush back. They were having a war in Yugoslavia at the time so Bulgaria seemed the better option.

From my calculations, the most economic route to Greece was from Venice and, travelling from UK I think Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy gives the best balance of speed and tolls. It took me around 26 hours to get to Venice from Dunkirk in an elderly Hymer 550.

OP
OP
Waz

Waz

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Western Australia
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy
Exp
Newish
I'm in SW Crete right now and crossed from Venice to Patras Open Deck with Anek.

For my money Open Deck is the way to go especially if you have animals as you can say with them during the journey. On Kriti II there are toilets and showers on the car deck so I had no reason to go anywhere for the entire 32 hour trip. The crew leave you alone, you can see the sea, get out your table and chair and sit in the sun.

The trip from Piraeus to Souda is less amusing although the kennel area on the ship was reasonable. The trip is around 8 hours.

A number of years ago, 2001 I think, I travelled to Greece via Germany, Austria, Hungary, Roumania and Bulgaria. It was a long drive for one person. Roumania was interesting as they were driving horse-drawn carts with no lights on main roads. Bulgaria was not a good experience as the roads were very poor and quite dangerous. Near Sophia we ran into a huge pothole on the main ring road destroying two tyres. Whilst awaiting the tow truck we were robbed and the window smashed.

I think the Bulgarians have moved on since then investing EC money in infrastructure but I'm not sure I'd rush back. They were having a war in Yugoslavia at the time so Bulgaria seemed the better option.

From my calculations, the most economic route to Greece was from Venice and, travelling from UK I think Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy gives the best balance of speed and tolls. It took me around 26 hours to get to Venice from Dunkirk in an elderly Hymer 550.

Thanks for all the good advice. Based on what I'm hearing I think we will probably pass on doing the drive North. We are in no hurry so we're happy to take our time and backtrack if necessary.

Cheers

Waz

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Did Greece, the Peloponnese and Athens 2 years ago enjoyed it but would not go to Athens again, in fact would avoid it like the plague, graffiti everywhere, never felt safe or comfortable , have been before and enjoyed it but it is changing.

Be careful around the ports safety is a issue. Have to say found the people on the Islands a lot friendlier than on the main land.

Having said that some beautiful places to visit and many pretty sites set in lemon and orange groves or on the sea, and surprising wifi quite easy to get.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Can't be too careful - but there's hope...

Parked by the old Patras - Athens road on Tuesday, as my ferry to Crete was not until the evening, this guy comes past on his scooter. I was sitting, drinking coffee in the shade of my van, my dogs at my side.

I heard him slow down and then turn around not quite knowing what to expect. He asked me in English if I was ok and needed any help. He explained that he was Greek but had worked in London for a while even showing me his UK driving license. It transpired that he had some land not far away where he cultivated olives.

We talked for a while and he told me he'd also spent time on Crete. Before he left he wrote down his name and said that if ever I had any problems whilst in Crete, I could contact one of his cousins who would be sure to help.

Now wasn't that nice?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back