camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
Since subscribing I am seriously beginning to be tempted by mh's bigger than I've considered before. I've just seen this. .

This looks fab but I'm nervous about driving such a big vehicle.Any suggestions where I could find tuition/advice?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I believe both the Camping and Caravanning Club and the Caravan Club offer tuition - normally in the form of one-day courses - especially for motorhome drivers. Worth checking with each of the clubs to find out more. :thumb:

Looks a nice van, by the way.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Mike

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Since subscribing I am seriously beginning to be tempted by mh's bigger than I've considered before. I've just seen this. .

This looks fab but I'm nervous about driving such a big vehicle.Any suggestions where I could find tuition/advice?

They are no different than driving a car.....just a little wider and a longer so adjust to it, more room when turning, at junctions, and roundabouts use your mirrows all the time when turning or reversing...have a colour camera fitted at the rear will help you ...and after you have driven for a few miles it will seem like you always have...But never forget the tail end, on some with a large overhang its like a fish tail coming round after you have turned :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You will probably be pleasantly surprised how easy they are to drive, but a one day course with one of the afore mentioned clubs would set your mind at ease.
If it is under 3.5t you wouldn't need to worry about licences either.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Its alldown to confidence. It may seem large (its actually a metre shorter than mine),, take a test drive, after ten minutes youll wonder what you worried about. Just use your mirrors and give a bit of extra space on corners as the back will cut the corner a bit.:thumb:

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
When we got our LHD A class I did a surf for likeLy sounding local driving instructors. Phoned two- one did all the minibus training for the local authority and the other had his own MH. I did 2 hours with him and, as has been said, it is all about confidence. That persuaded me that it isnt really very different at all to other driving. I could still do with more manouvering in tight places practice though!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice van. Not big enough to cause you problems apart from learning the overhang.

But it is a prime example of how a fixed bed eats up the inside. Pretty poor for lounging about in on a rainy day, unless you use the bed. Criminally poor kitchen.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I would agree whith what has already been said but particularly with Heyupluv's mention of a rear view camera. I was driving ours for 2 years and the only real difficulty was reversing. Although I had been considering getting a camera I was finally pushed into it after reversing into a car which was behind me, unnoticed, on a country road. Only after having the camera fitted did I realise just how much you cannot see using mirrors alone (I really appreciate the signs on the back of lorries: "If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you)

Now I often notice that looking in my mirrors the road behind may seem empty but in my camera I can see a couple of cars or even a transit van which is otherwise unseen!

Not only is it useful for reversing, however, the camera also acts as a rear view mirror which gives much more information about the situation before lane changes or overtaking. I wouldn't be without one now. :thumb:
Wyn

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
But it is a prime example of how a fixed bed eats up the inside. Pretty poor for lounging about in on a rainy day, unless you use the bed. .

That's exactly the problem with ours.

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)

Dont be nervous about the size. As already been said try CCC or CC see what they offer. I trained London bus drivers and 95% of those had only driven a car before. Youll get the hang of it after about 45mins, good luck and happy motorhoming.

OP
OP
C

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
rainy day living

Nice van. Not big enough to cause you problems apart from learning the overhang.

But it is a prime example of how a fixed bed eats up the inside. [HI]Pretty poor for lounging about in on a rainy day, unless you use the bed.[/HI] Criminally poor kitchen.
can you suggest any of similar or smaller that are good in this respect - :Smile:ta

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
get to lincoln this weekend and have a good look around it really is the only way to get a real idea of whats out there.

if you miss this show the caravan club do courses at the NEC show in october.

Last edited:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The C&CC definitely run MH manoeuvring training. There are dates and venues on their website for the rest of 2012 but their 2013 calendar is not out yet.

I am upgrading to a bigger van (8.7m) and my wife wants to go on one to give her confidence.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I would agree whith what has already been said but particularly with Heyupluv's mention of a rear view camera. I was driving ours for 2 years and the only real difficulty was reversing. Although I had been considering getting a camera I was finally pushed into it after reversing into a car which was behind me, unnoticed, on a country road. Only after having the camera fitted did I realise just how much you cannot see using mirrors alone (I really appreciate the signs on the back of lorries: "If you can't see my mirrors then I can't see you)

Now I often notice that looking in my mirrors the road behind may seem empty but in my camera I can see a couple of cars or even a transit van which is otherwise unseen!

Not only is it useful for reversing, however, the camera also acts as a rear view mirror which gives much more information about the situation before lane changes or overtaking. I wouldn't be without one now. :thumb:
Wyn

Just to add to the rear view camera, is the built in mike....you can hear in the cab:thumb::thumb:
....As the vicar said every little helps
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's exactly the problem with ours.

Talk yourself into an old Hymer ( they all seem old and yet like new ) and you'll realise what they based the tardis on.

If we ever changed it would be to one of those.

Some of the u-shaped lounge designs are good loungers but you pay by making up the beds every night.

You've got to hand it to the RVs, even 23 foot ones, slide technology delivers the goods.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Size isn't the only thing to consider with a large motorhome, but the restrictions that it will place on you in use. As you have a small camper at the moment you will certainly notice the places you won't be able to get to anymore and the difficulty of parking such a large beast. I'm not saying don't go for it, but just consider all of the implications very carefully.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you are determined to drive a larger motorhome but, as you say, are too nervous then consider sending Rick (Motor roamin') a PM.

Broken Link Removed

He runs a large vehicle/HGV driving school in Leicestershire and i'm sure he runs short courses on driving and manouvering using your own vehicle.
he'll explain what you need to know and give you the confidence to do it.
a couple of days and he'll have you driving like a pro :thumb:

OP
OP
C

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
thanks

Thanks everyone , this is very helpful!

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Confidence and calmness, that's all you'll need. After all it is only an overgrown Transit. It will take a few hours to become confident, and a driving course could help you overcome your fears.
As for limiting you to where you can go, only you will know. If you want something that can get you anywhere, buy a scooter.

Craig

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
if you are determined to drive a larger motorhome but, as you say, are too nervous then consider sending Rick (Motor roamin') a PM.

Broken Link Removed

He runs a large vehicle/HGV driving school in Leicestershire and i'm sure he runs short courses on driving and manouvering using your own vehicle.
he'll explain what you need to know and give you the confidence to do it.
a couple of days and he'll have you driving like a pro :thumb:

Yes we do......we do many of them for any thing from car and caravan to Articulated lorrys most people require no more than 4 hours it's all about understanding the charicteristics of a larger vehicle and gaining cofidence with a qualified instructor who isn't going to let you get in trouble.

If your interested pm or call me 07974 758989 or look at our website dataacademy.co.uk plenty of feedback on there or look at our face book page (not that I have a clue about that :ROFLMAO:) it's done by one of directors :RollEyes: ::bigsmile:

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my first motorhome was a mere 20ft long...not much longer than my car.

my second and third were both 24ft long...absolutely no difference driving them.

my current motorhome is 34ft long and 7.5 tons

first couple of trips had me on the edge of my seat...not because of the size but because its left hand drive.....30 odd years since i drove left hand drive.

2 years down the line its second nature to jump in it and drive without even thinking about it.

experience and practise instills confidence :thumb: (sometimes overconfidence :Blush:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back