Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
had to replace the water pump and during our recent holiday the hot tap started to drip and on our last day the hot pipe in shower whale mixer valve came clean out of its housing (including the brass ferrel).
my is question is is there an increase in pressure from the boiler when the water is hot as water will flow for a short while without the pump?
the new direct replacement water pump has a slightly higher pressure e.g. 20psi from 16psi and my concern is will it happen again as in my view the pipe connection to the whale valve is poorly design.
i got the following reply from whale:
"Thank you for your enquiry. The new pump which cuts out at 2bar will have no effect on the mixer Sir. Only excessive pressures above mains pressures would cause issues for caravan equipment. Unfortunately the brass inserts cannot be replaced therefor eyou will need to replace the mixer unit completely. The part number for the Elite mixer shower is MT0140B and you can order this through any of the below retailers:”
on the face of all should be well, except if the boiler causes excessive pressure.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had this problem on RVs. To remedy it I used to switch the pump off and open a hot tap whilst the boiler was warming up. Once the water is up to temperature turn tap off and switch pump back on. Its the water expanding when hot.....it has to go somewhere.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have had this problem on RVs. To remedy it I used to switch the pump off and open a hot tap whilst the boiler was warming up. Once the water is up to temperature turn tap off and switch pump back on. Its the water expanding when hot.....it has to go somewhere.

As one who is slow on the uptake regarding things mechanical and electrical how do you switch the pump off? My mh does not have a separate isolation switch for the pump or the lights, just a master switch. Would this mean, at night, plunging mh into darkness whilst I wait for the hot water to heat up?

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As one who is slow on the uptake regarding things mechanical and electrical how do you switch the pump off? My mh does not have a separate isolation switch for the pump or the lights, just a master switch. Would this mean, at night, plunging mh into darkness whilst I wait for the hot water to heat up?

Norman
Having owned more motorhomes than I can remember I have never had one that didn't have a switch for the water pump, so am afraid I cant help in that matter.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have a look at your control panel, you prob have one :thumb:
You will be in the dark a long time, boiler will not work with power off
Terry :winky:

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year

what a useful piece of advice, :thumb: many thanks snowbird

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what make and model is the water pump ?

the boiler should have an expansion area (free space) at the top to counter the effect of hot water expansion, the air gets compressed as the water expands....just as a sealed domestic boiler (combi) has an expansion tank.

regardless of what whale have said, I reckon a 2bar (28psi) cut-off pressure is too high for the system.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back