Motorhome Parking web site reloaded (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Earlier this morning Mel (Minx) suggested that I make the web site available again without further updates. As it happens, this was something I was already considering as a result of the many messages of support I have received on Fun, on other forums and privately.

So, I have just reloaded the web site. It does, now, have a limited life though - just under two years until the domain registration expires.

In the meantime (if it is a resource for which there is a real need) I hope someone else might feel able to grasp the nettle, do the necessary research and create an alternative/replacement - and there is no reason why that might not be a better site.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Earlier this morning Mel (Minx) suggested that I make the web site available again without further updates. As it happens, this was something I was already considering as a result of the many messages of support I have received on Fun, on other forums and privately.

So, I have just reloaded the web site. It does, now, have a limited life though - just under two years until the domain registration expires.

In the meantime (if it is a resource for which there is a real need) I hope someone else might feel able to grasp the nettle, do the necessary research and create an alternative/replacement - and there is no reason why that might not be a better site.

Hi Graham, lets have a chat at the weekend:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
No doubt we will ::bigsmile:

Graham,I'm really glad that you have decided to continue. I know you must be disappointed but clearly many funsters seem to be missing your site, and to continue shows the other low life your determination not to be beaten. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Beginning to sound like a DFS Furniture Sale "Must end soon" so it can start again tomorrow:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Graham,I'm really glad that you have decided to continue. I know you must be disappointed but clearly many funsters seem to be missing your site, and to continue shows the other low life your determination not to be beaten. :thumb:

Fear not Keith looks like that capitalist Jim is moving in for the kill
Hold out for 6.5 Million Graham:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Graham - I have a web hosting account that I'd be more than happy to put at your disposal for free if needed. What you've started should most definitely continue in some form or other. God knows I struggle to find time to update my own little corner of the interweb, but it would be sad to think all your effort would fade to nothing.

Keep me posted if required.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham - I have a web hosting account that I'd be more than happy to put at your disposal for free if needed. What you've started should most definitely continue in some form or other. God knows I struggle to find time to update my own little corner of the interweb, but it would be sad to think all your effort would fade to nothing.

Keep me posted if required.

Thanks. Hosting isn't a problem at all. What takes the effort is the research into and communication with around 400 local authorities and other organisations, both initial data gathering and keeping it up to date.

The most elegant solution would be for local authorities to publish motorhome parking information on their own web sites - the type of thing I used to encourage when working as a FoI officer. Some councils (rather more than 6 years ago) now do so but by no means all. That means that if it is to be done then some individual has to do it as any web site with any commercial connection would have to take out a RoPSI licence with each authority - and at around 50 quid a throw that would become expensive :Smile:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
Thanks. Hosting isn't a problem at all. What takes the effort is the research into and communication with around 400 local authorities and other organisations, both initial data gathering and keeping it up to date.

The most elegant solution would be for local authorities to publish motorhome parking information on their own web sites - the type of thing I used to encourage when working as a FoI officer. Some councils (rather more than 6 years ago) now do so but by no means all. That means that if it is to be done then some individual has to do it as any web site with any commercial connection would have to take out a RoPSI licence with each authority - and at around 50 quid a throw that would become expensive :Smile:

i to have used your site and found it very usefull thank you:thumb:
maybe you could consider help from area reps !! i dont have time to fully take something like this on but will be happy to help under your guidence with some of the donkey work if this helps
glyn

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i to have used your site and found it very usefull thank you:thumb:
maybe you could consider help from area reps !! i dont have time to fully take something like this on but will be happy to help under your guidence with some of the donkey work if this helps
glyn

Thanks Glyn. I've looked at a system of area reps in the past but it's not proved practical - but maybe somebody else would have a better idea than I of how to run such a scheme :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012

Can you let me have the URL please? :Smile:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I wouldn't let the domain expire Graham, I have no doubt that the domain "Motorhome Parking" is worth a few quid, I would estimate in the region of £500 at least for the name alone but probably more depending on the nature of the buyer.

Directory sites, clubs and so forth are springing uk which provide no real content - such as UK Aires etc. Motorhome Parking has a "Page Rank" of 3 which is excellent - that's as high as Motorhome Fun's home page! Carefully managed and monitised (not charging users, or overt advertising) it could be a nice little earner for someone ;)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't let the domain expire Graham, I have no doubt that the domain "Motorhome Parking" is worth a few quid, I would estimate in the region of £500 at least for the name alone but probably more depending on the nature of the buyer.

Directory sites, clubs and so forth are springing uk which provide no real content - such as UK Aires etc. Motorhome Parking has a "Page Rank" of 3 which is excellent - that's as high as Motorhome Fun's home page! Carefully managed and monitised (not charging users, or overt advertising) it could be a nice little earner for someone ;)

Flattering to think the domain is worth a few quid but it would only be the domain name, not the content.

As mentioned earlier, commercial exploitation of the information would result in the site being massively more expensive too run. Any commercial connection would necessitate taking out a RoPSI licence with each authority - and at around 50 quid a throw for each of about 400 authorities that would become expensive ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back