camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
Someone who was having a nosey at my campervan expressed surprise when he saw Camping Gaz.He thought it was unusual for a campervan/motorhome.
So I was wondering why I have an LPG warning on the back of my van because as far as I know it's not LPG in Camping Gaz.Is the warning just a general /universal practice so they know you're carrying gas of some kind or is it the wrong label?

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Someone who was having a nosey at my campervan expressed surprise when he saw Camping Gaz.He thought it was unusual for a campervan/motorhome.
So I was wondering why I have an LPG warning on the back of my van because as far as I know it's not LPG in Camping Gaz.Is the warning just a general /universal practice so they know you're carrying gas of some kind or is it the wrong label?
With all gasses it best advised to shoe a safty warning on your MH, and whan traveling on Ferrys its good to show and just incase of emergency its good to alert serviices who is on help, cheers ALF.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i think you will find it is lpg in a camping gaz cylinder

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lpg ...liquified petroleum gas .
they are all that. just different classes of gas . in africa they use pentane alot . just a lowe grade that burns ok in warmer climates . butane is popular in warmer eu climates .propane best in colder winter climates .
most use bigger bottles as its cheaper . could be calor /flogas etc .but its all lpg .

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
I think I'm right in saying that Camping Gaz is butane, whereas the gas more often used in motorhomes is propane. Butane is much less efficient when the temperature gets down to single figures.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

I can assure you that you do have LPG in your bottle, most motorhome /caravanette converters used to use these bottles at one time possibly as a space saving thing as they fit under seat bases quite well. however things have moved on and people are no longer prepared to be conned into paying extortionate prices for a couple of lb of gas for the convenience of the size, well thats the way I see it anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've got Campingaz....it's not that unusual once you drop down to microcampers, older Romahomes, etc. It's the only bottle that'll fit in my gas locker.

It is LPG and I think there's a small percentage of propane in it, but not enough to prevent it being a pain in the a!*e when the temperature heads towards freezing :Angry:

OP
OP
C

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
lpg

Thanks for all the replies.
For some reason I thought lpg stood for Liquid Petroleum Gas but after a bit of research I've discovered it's liquid propane gas.
I also read "Unlike some other natural gas derivatives, butane only releases carbon dioxide as a waste product, not carbon monoxide." on this site http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-butane.htm. Apparently propane is the dangerous component that can produce carbon monoxide, and camping gaz is a mixture of the two.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back