Fiat's Ducato Water Feature (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hi all,
i'm sure this must have been covered before but the problem i discovered after my recent purchase (insufficient research) of an 07 ducato is still in evidence on the latest 12 reg vehicles.

I have now sealed the bottom of the windscreen and the center of the the wiper scuttle and fitted drain pipes to the scuttle and the air intake. Also redirected the main air intake drain so water is not discharged over the gear selector.

recently looked at a 12 reg mh and most of these problems still exist although there is a cover over the engine.

water leaking onto the cam belt and then freezing can cause major problems.

bern

its under Peugeot on page 3

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yep, it's well documented!

I recall a post somewhere on the net where someone actually broke a cambelt during starting due to ice whilst on a skiing trip.:Angry:

You could always buy a Fiat-based van with an overcab bed to stop the water from going in!::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi all,
i'm sure this must have been covered before but the problem i discovered after my recent purchase (insufficient research) of an 07 ducato is still in evidence on the latest 12 reg vehicles.

I have now sealed the bottom of the windscreen and the center of the the wiper scuttle and fitted drain pipes to the scuttle and the air intake. Also redirected the main air intake drain so water is not discharged over the gear selector.

recently looked at a 12 reg mh and most of these problems still exist although there is a cover over the engine.

bern

[HI]its under Peugeot on page 3[/HI]

What is on page 3 and where is page 3.....?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sorry to hear of your water problem, very common. I have had 11 Sevel vehicles, 2 Peugeot and 9 Fiat. EVERY vehicle gave me grief and the last one, a 2008 Peugeot, was the final straw. Over a period of two and a half years no less than 17 recalls were requested. It was so bad in the first three months I refused to take it back to the dealer as a 50 mile round trip was now getting expensive. After many phone calls to Peugeot (customer care-stop laughing) they agreed to refund a tank of fuel for the outstanding 400 miles. The week I sold it yet another one arrived. This time it was a recall, for the recall for the recall. How can a so called caring professional manufacturer have to repalace the same item three times. The water ingress is not a new problem but first started in the previous model round about 2002, not sure. Even then they couldn't give a dawn but made noises as if they did. I still laugh at the Fiat advert in MMM which proclaims them as "Professional's", they are a total waste of space and the sooner more base vehicle manufacturers enter the arena the better.
I now own a Renault Master, great, no recalls, civilised drive, upto 32mpg with 4tonne and a quiet cab where everything works and no dash lights to distract me.
I hope you get sorted soon but don't take any crap, remember they have a manual full of it.

OP
OP
berni109
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thanks, Jim - should have made it more clear in my original post.

I cant believe people are still spending £50K plus on something with such a fundamental flaw.

bern

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sorry to hear of your water problem, very common. I have had 11 Sevel vehicles, 2 Peugeot and 9 Fiat.

You must be very patient and or understanding ..

One with problems would have been enough for me to say enough is enough.. but are there any base vehicles that don't have issues ?

I've also read bad reports about new Fords, Mercs and Renaults ... to be frank I don't want a 'modern' van loaded with electronics.. too many things to go wrong, give me an old fashion engine that can be fixed by a blacksmith with a lump hammer..

In saying that I've owned a Honda CR-V for almost three years, lovely car to drive, very comfortable and spacious,.. done 78k miles and it never misses a beat.. shame Honda or Toyota don't do a 3.5t panel van ...

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You must be very patient and or understanding ..

One with problems would have been enough for me to say enough is enough.. but are there any base vehicles that don't have issues ?

I've also read bad reports about new Fords, Mercs and Renaults ... to be frank I don't want a 'modern' van loaded with electronics.. too many things to go wrong, give me an old fashion engine that can be fixed by a blacksmith with a lump hammer..

In saying that I've owned a Honda CR-V for almost three years, lovely car to drive, very comfortable and spacious,.. done 78k miles and it never misses a beat.. shame Honda or Toyota don't do a 3.5t panel van ...

All your comments are very true. We must realise all base vehicle are just commercials and no regard is given to a chassis cab that is to be converted into a motorhome.
Two years ago we spent 3 months touring New Zealand and hired a motorhome. It was a 4.5 tonne ex Japan bus based on a 2.2 litre Toyota. Fantastic machine and never missed a beat in 3000 miles. I to prefer to fix/service myself but when I lift the bonnet of modern vehicles now it is nearly impossible to identify anything. As long as it has a sump plug I can do oils, filters etc.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
Hi all,

there is an "engine reconditioners" near my workplace and they have a just had a 10 plate ducato autotrail brought in that had thrown the cambelt off due to ice on the belt so be careful if starting your ducato's in frosty weather

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back