Reluctant starter (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, today the MH has been a reluctant starter a couple of times. It is a 2.0 litre Peugeot boxer diesel, 03 plate ,24000 miles. This morning when I went to start it it was sluggish and sounded like the battery was low. 200 miles later and a few stops later with no starting issues we stopped at reception to book in, went back out and it again seemed sluggish. Any suggestions as to what could be the issue. Battery seems ok voltage wise. Thanks

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi, today the MH has been a reluctant starter a couple of times. It is a 2.0 litre Peugeot boxer diesel, 03 plate ,24000 miles. This morning when I went to start it it was sluggish and sounded like the battery was low. 200 miles later and a few stops later with no starting issues we stopped at reception to book in, went back out and it again seemed sluggish. Any suggestions as to what could be the issue. Battery seems ok voltage wise. Thanks

Battery connection loose or earth needs cleaning maybe. Pete

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Forgot to say, we are currently in Cornwall, so can anyone recommend a MH garage around this area that could check it out if we drove in? Thanks again:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first thing Gordon.....check the earth cables.

battery to chassis AND chassis to engine.

a high current can break down the connection.

give them a tug to see if any are in the slightest loose, especially if any are the flat braided wire type.
they can look OK but do rot without losing their shape until pulled.

other than that it could be the starter motor is failing.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I would try what Pete says first then check the terminal to the starter motor :thumb:
terry
snap John :thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Earth bonding from bottom of engine to chassis on nearside.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I had the MH in at the garage to check the handbrake. I mentioned the reluctant starting to them so they said they would check the earth leads etc. ( Local garage and I know and trust them ) They have said that the battery is on it's way out. As I carry a battery boost they said not to worry at the moment as it is still starting and should it not I can use the booster. I was wondering , can I charge the battery without disconnecting from the vehicle? Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I had the MH in at the garage to check the handbrake. I mentioned the reluctant starting to them so they said they would check the earth leads etc. ( Local garage and I know and trust them ) They have said that the battery is on it's way out. As I carry a battery boost they said not to worry at the moment as it is still starting and should it not I can use the booster. [HI]I was wondering , can I charge the battery without disconnecting from the vehicle?[/HI] Thanks

Yes, if you use the correct type of charger. Our Autoquest was based on a 2.0 litre Peugeot boxer diesel, 04 plate. Before fitting a Battery Charge Manager I used to charge the starter battery regularly using a Tronic T4X charger from Lidl (similar to Ctek and Aldi also have a version at times).

The Tronic automatically switches to a floating charge when the battery is fully charged. I don't think an ordinary charger does the same so would have to be monitored more carefully.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
check the fluid level in the cells of the battery and top up with distilled water if needs be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back