Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask the audience. :Smile:

Young lad wants to borrow my box trailer to pick up a motorbike. His car license allows him to tow an all up weight of 750kg The bike and the trailer weigh less than 750kg

The trailer is plated to carry a max of 1400kg.

Is the lad restricted to 750kg actual or does the plated weight exclude him no matter what the actual?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The way I read the Direct Gov web site it is the actual weight so long as the train weight does not exceed 3500 Kg
Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg
As category B but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 3,500 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle
Example of category B with a trailer weighing over 750 kg: Motor vehicle with an unladen weight of 1,500 kg and a maximum weight of 2,000 kg towing a fully loaded trailer with a weight of 1,500 kg – total weight 3500.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think he would be ok. Cops are too thick to ponder that one.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Let him borrow the trailer.

Instruct him that if he spots any police to make a run for it.

If he escapes all well and good.

If they catch him they will be too busy arresting him for attempting to evade arrest that they won't notice the plate with the weight limits on it.

If they knock at your door deny everything.

If they arrest you hire Treacle. (I believe he is closer to you than Slobadoberbob.)

In the last resort call GJH as a character witness.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
as long as the trailer weight is within the kerb weight of the towing vehicle and the combination of both do not exceed 3500kg he is fine.
I think you will find now that Vosa if they pull you do not go off actual weight but go off the plates on the vehicle combination first, so if the trailer weight comes to more than the allowed train/kerb weight for the towing vehicle, he could be done on a technicality even if he is not exceeding his licence weight allowance in reality if they choose to actually weigh it

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree JJ's cunning plan.

Dont call me though - apparently I will be unloading and laying 850kg of "polished pebbles" that are being delivered today for one of our borders.

I do wish my wife wouldnt watch these 'kin garden makeover programmes.:Sad:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Let him borrow the trailer.

Instruct him that if he spots any police to make a run for it.

If he escapes all well and good.

If they catch him they will be too busy arresting him for attempting to evade arrest that they won't notice the plate with the weight limits on it.

If they knock at your door deny everything.

[HI]If they arrest you hire Treacle.[/HI] (I believe he is closer to you than Slobadoberbob.)

[HI]In the last resort call GJH as a character witness.[/HI]

JJ :Cool:

Blimey, do you have Jim that much?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Dont call me though - apparently [HI]I will be unloading and laying 850kg of "polished pebbles"[/HI] that are being delivered today for one of our borders.

I was going to say that would only take 5 minutes - but probably 6 the way you solicitors charge :roflmto: Just open the bags, tip 'em up and let 'em roll into place. Tell The Boss that it's more natural of they find their own resting place :roflmto:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
[HI]I was going to say that would only take 5 minutes - but probably 6 the way you solicitors charge :roflmto:[/HI] Just open the bags, tip 'em up and let 'em roll into place. Tell The Boss that it's more natural of they find their own resting place :roflmto:

Cheeky sod::bigsmile:

I think they will come in one big bag. 850 kg is quite a lot I think.

I will be doing the rain dance later tonight or I might faff around in the morning if it doesnt work hoping for a heavy shower later.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So in a similar vein could I drive my 3.7 ton through a 3.5ton max zone if i have 200kg spare payload?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no. plated weights are the weight allowed not the actual weight .
even axle weights are used on some bridges etc . trucks get pulled and warned /booked as sometrimes you are empty and take a chance . advice is dont chance it.

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year

Dont call me though - apparently I will be unloading and laying 850kg of "polished pebbles" that are being delivered today for one of our borders.

just wait until you have finished the stones and she changes her mind!

i have taken a lawn up layed slabs only to reverse the process because the dog had nowhere to pee!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
for VOSA checks its the trailers gross weight, in this case 1400kg, taken into account whether its loaded or empty.

looking at this from DVLA there shouldnt be a problem unless his car is a tichy little thing weighing next to nowt as the trailer cannot weigh more than the cars gross weight..

Example of category B with a trailer weighing over 750 kg: Motor vehicle with an unladen weight of 1,500 kg and a maximum weight of 2,000 kg towing a fully loaded trailer with a weight of 1,500 kg – total weight 3500.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back