Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
For those funsters that are not aware:
Just got a letter from Chorley Belvedere retail park, arrived at 15:54:35 and departed 18:41:45 on 4 Sept 2012 meaning we were 17 minutes over the 2hrs 30mins allowed in their car park, for this infringement we have to pay £60 within 13 days thereafter it will go up to £90 + £30 admin costs. Talk about scare tactics. We have obviously become a police state. I can't even remember the Belvedere retail park!:cry:
It is apparent with the parking eye system even if you are 1 minute over you will get charged £60 and in this instance it is not even worth appealing since it is a private company you are dealing with. i suppose we were lucky not to be clamped.
This is our first holiday in England for many years as we usually go abroad and there, even with language difficulties we always managed to park legally.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
always worth firing off a letter as had a similiar thing in Coventry 12mins over and i wrote and advised that we had no control over the volume of shoppers and length of time in que to pay and there had to be some lea way.
The company concerened wrote back and said that if i could provide a copy of receipts then they would refund the charge ( I paid first so that the charge did not go up)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would have told both companies to stick the tickets where the sun dont shine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I suppose you could ask for/demand the following:

"that at all material times the computer was operating properly, or of not, that any respect in which it was not operating properly or was out of operation was not such as to affect the production of the document or the accuracy of its contents."

A "statement" has the same meaning as in section 10(1)(c) of Part I of the Civil Evidence Act 1968, where it includes "any . . . device in which . . . data . . . are embodied so as to be capable . . . of being reproduced therefrom." This would include the memory of a computer.

Treacle or Slobobbobb can confirm , but a company must confirm that the computer/Parking eye system was working correctly at the time and a qualified person must confirm this, not just any employee, but someone qualified to do so.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why a police state? If it is private property the charge has nothing to do with the police. Sorry if this offends but, whatever the rights and wrongs of there being time limits on parking, it wasn't the fault of the car park owner that the time allowed was exceeded.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Why a police state? If it is private property the charge has nothing to do with the police. Sorry if this offends but, whatever the rights and wrongs of there being time limits on parking, it wasn't the fault of the car park owner that the time allowed was exceeded.
:thumb:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
If they do not know or cannot prove who the driver was they cannot take you to court!!!!!

It is not a legal requirement of you to let them know who the driver was either as I believe only the police can demand that information from you and this is a civil matter.

So follow Geo's suggestion and I don't think you will hear anymore from them!

It's just scare tactics:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Regards Pat

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
If they do not know or cannot prove who the driver was they cannot take you to court!!!!!

It is not a legal requirement of you to let them know who the driver was either as I believe only the police can demand that information from you and this is a civil matter.

So follow Geo's suggestion and I don't think you will hear anymore from them!

It's just scare tactics:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Regards Pat

Its a civil matter, not a criminal one, I suspect they are suing the keeper of the vehicle and not the driver, no RTA offence has been commited, so they are in fact suing you under the terms and conditions of parking there and the overstay is in breach, you assumed the T & C when you parked there...

I suspect you breached your contract.,

Private companies have a right to access the DVLA records under certain conditions,
By law, DVLA must protect your personal details held on the registers. DVLA can however, under government regulations, disclose information from the vehicle register to those who can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause'. Enquiries must give full details of why they want the information and how it will be used.

Some of the circumstances considered to be ‘reasonable cause’ include:
•matters of road safety
•events that occur as a result of vehicle use
•the enforcement of road traffic legislation
•the collection of taxes

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nothing personal against anyone but why, when cases like this arise, do we always see posts urging that the motorist avoid the consequences of the action that he/she was responsible for?

One of the major problems with our society is that people try to avoid taking responsibility for what they do when it doesn't suit them.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
If the 'fine' was say a tenner everybody would grumble but probably pay up and go on their merry way .

Its when these companies resort to greed and try to fleece people , come on 60 quid . They could go whistle as far as I'm concerned .

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Nothing personal against anyone but why, when cases like this arise, do we always see posts urging that the motorist avoid the consequences of the action that he/she was responsible for?

One of the major problems with our society is that people try to avoid taking responsibility for what they do when it doesn't suit them.

It's true: How often do we question as to why a person for no good reason abandons his or her car on a double yellow line, or in a disabled/mother & child bay. To some, taking a hit from a traffic warden or a speed camera is just one of the many everyday risks that they knowingly take, DESPITE the heavy penalities, only to complain afterwards. You either take the risk or you don't. That is the their choice, and as pointed out, his or her responsibility alone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
sorry GJH i meant it as a metaphorical statement as in the parking eye is an automatic system and does not take into account human circumstances and previously if we are in a queue to pay and new we were going to be a few minutes over one of us one go the vehicle and talk to the parking attended, now we will have dump our shopping and get the vehicle out of the car park.
Thank you all for your very good suggestions however CAMOCAM1 point :thumb: is valid in our case, as my better half reminded me we spent a shed load of money in TKMAX and i will try this approach.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as you say Shiffty

I suppose you could ask for/demand the following:

"that at all material times the computer was operating properly, or of not, that any respect in which it was not operating properly or was out of operation was not such as to affect the production of the document or the accuracy of its contents."

A "statement" has the same meaning as in section 10(1)(c) of Part I of the Civil Evidence Act 1968, where it includes "any . . . device in which . . . data . . . are embodied so as to be capable . . . of being reproduced therefrom." This would include the memory of a computer.

Treacle or Slobobbobb can confirm , but a company must confirm that the computer/Parking eye system was working correctly at the time and a qualified person must confirm this, not just any employee, but someone qualified to do so.

As you say Shiffty.. as there seems to be an implied contract which must be at the point of entry into the car park ..read Shoe Lane Parking ...offer and acceptance... presuming it was and you accepted this contract and you parked as we know you did then as Shiffty says you need to write and ask for the proof. It is for them to prove there case not for you to defend it.

As it is a private company, I myself would just ignore the communications ...OK you will get debt collection agents chasing you.. if they decide to go to court fine just ask for the proof that they computers were working correctly at the time. Same as police have to have the speed equipment in patrol cars calibrated and a certificate available. No difference in this case.

Bob

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
As you say Shiffty.. as there seems to be an implied contract which must be at the point of entry into the car park ..read Shoe Lane Parking ...offer and acceptance... presuming it was and you accepted this contract and you parked as we know you did then as Shiffty says you need to write and ask for the proof. It is for them to prove there case not for you to defend it.

As it is a private company, I myself would just ignore the communications ...OK you will get debt collection agents chasing you.. if they decide to go to court fine just ask for the proof that they computers were working correctly at the time. Same as police have to have the speed equipment in patrol cars calibrated and a certificate available. No difference in this case.

Bob

thanks bob, the form i have has 2 pictures of my motorhome (front & rear) with times above them, would this count as proof?

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
yes counts as proof, as said before just drop them a polite letter requesting refund as its the shops that pay the Co to monitor the parking, which is mainly aimed at those that park there and shop elswhere. if you get no joy from the parking people then speak to TK Max

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You have 2 choices..
Pay it....

or

DO NOTHING.. and I mean nothing.. It's a private invoice not a fine.. Been through this twice in the past couple of years with wife and daughter overstaying.!! Dont write, dont answer.. The process is that they get your details off DVLA for about £2.50 and then try a few quid on stamps and letters.. If you pay a nice £60 they are quids in.. Usually you get 2 - 4 letters chasing payment, threatening with debt collectors. The stupid thing is that one of these companies actually sent the debt collectors letter from the same address.! and it's "solicitor" was next door...:ROFLMAO:
Sit it out and it will all go away, IF and a very big IF they want to follow up they need to take you to small claim court and that will cost THEM, so they dont bother Even if they did that and you attended the JP would most likely say charges are unfair....

www.peppipoo.co.uk. lots of info on here :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
For those funsters that are not aware:
Just got a letter from Chorley Belvedere retail park, arrived at 15:54:35 and departed 18:41:45 on 4 Sept 2012 meaning we were 17 minutes over the 2hrs 30mins allowed in their car park, for this infringement we have to pay £60 within 13 days thereafter it will go up to £90 + £30 admin costs. Talk about scare tactics. We have obviously become a police state. I can't even remember the Belvedere retail park!:cry:
It is apparent with the parking eye system even if you are 1 minute over you will get charged £60 and in this instance it is not even worth appealing since it is a private company you are dealing with. i suppose we were lucky not to be clamped.
This is our first holiday in England for many years as we usually go abroad and there, even with language difficulties we always managed to park legally.

By coincidence,....

We too have just received a parking charge notice to owner (my wife), from Parking Eye car Park Management in the post a few minutes ago. :Sad:

Where did we obtain this penalty?

Sunderland Royal Hospital.....

We took our 4 year old son in for a simple operation on his nose last Wednesday. This required him being put under with anaesthetic so we had to stay with him whilst he was put under, then wait for him to wake up again and the staff to ensure he was well and good to be discharged..

They said he should be out again before lunch so I paid and put ticket on the car, but due to the hospital being busy we were there a little longer than expected, so over ran the time on the ticket.

Now having to pay parking fees just to visit friends or family in hospital is bad enough, but being "fined" for taking a 4 year old for an operation, what the hell is going on in this world....:Eeek:

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....:Angry:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
If the 'fine' was say a tenner ......

...then even more people would see it as an acceptable risk. Knock it up to £250 and very few would - AND - the said companies trying to "fleece you" would soon be struggling.

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
thanks for the links, proved interesting reading. seems the advice is to wait it out in that way you are not acknowledging the claim. however id prefer to reply on the grounds suggested by camocam1 large queue at check-out. also stating the fine is disproportionate to the offence and i am not going to pay (as the guide suggests)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you can lead a horse to water

thanks for the links, proved interesting reading. seems the advice is to wait it out in that way you are not acknowledging the claim. however id prefer to reply on the grounds suggested by camocam1 large queue at check-out. also stating the fine is disproportionate to the offence and i am not going to pay (as the guide suggests)

You can lead a horse to water springs to mind.:RollEyes:

a fool and his money soon are parted is another one.:RollEyes:

Do not acknowledge it or answer it...

OK free legal advice.. said I would not give any more.... see what you have done.. a even poorer lawyer than I was this morning.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
You can lead a horse to water springs to mind.:RollEyes:

a fool and his money soon are parted is another one.:RollEyes:

Do not acknowledge it or answer it...

OK free legal advice.. said I would not give any more.... see what you have done.. a even poorer lawyer than I was this morning.

Bob:Blush:

thanks bob:thumb:, obviously you were a lawyer but now you have returned to the human race :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had quite a few of these. I just ignore them, its an invoice not a fine. They do go away, normally after 3 or 4 ignored requests. I pick mine up at Motorway Service Stations. I normally get my head down for 3 or 4 hours max, but by the time you fuel up and brew up again it might be 4 and a half.

Yes, I know I shouldn't. I know by parking I am accepting the contract etc etc. I just refuse to pay for such a short stop on a bit of concrete, diesel and lorry driver pee.

I think I was just annoyed by the first "Fine" I got, all dressed up with black and white check to look as official/police/council "Fine" so thereafter I now enjoy ignoring them. And, they've only got till October 1st to clamp me:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had quite a few of these. I just ignore them, its an invoice not a fine. They do go away, normally after 3 or 4 ignored requests. I pick mine up at Motorway Service Stations. I normally get my head down for 3 or 4 hours max, but by the time you fuel up and brew up again it might be 4 and a half.

Yes, I know I shouldn't. I know by parking I am accepting the contract etc etc. I just refuse to pay for such a short stop on a bit of concrete, diesel and lorry driver pee.

I think I was just annoyed by the first "Fine" I got, all dressed up with black and white check to look as official/police/council "Fine" so thereafter I now enjoy ignoring them. And, they've only got till October 1st to clamp me:ROFLMAO:

So presumably then, Jim, you would welcome anyone to your CFL even if they decide not to pay? :reel: ::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
So presumably then, Jim, you would welcome anyone to your CFL even if they decide not to pay? :reel: ::bigsmile:

You little tinker Sundance,

just turn up,

park up, :coolthumb:

pee in the hedge,

pull off the unenforceable ticket :thanks:

and

hey ho, off you go....::bigsmile:riving2:

Job done...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

You presume right. if anyone wants to stop on my CL for a few of hours kip on route to somewhere, they are welcome FOC

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I got one of them On the motor way, they are just Invices disguised has a fine just ignore and it will go away after 2or 3 more letters,don't contact them , I got that info off here about 2 years ago, a friend got one from Mc D,s for a minute told her the same ,same result. Pete :thumb

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Perhaps we should all hold a protest day when at a given time on a given day we all dump our shopping wherever we are (at an outlet using said parking system of course) and walk out telling the retailer we are running out of our allotted parking time time. That might actually be fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back