"A" frames (I know ........) (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Not being an "A" framer myself, it appears that the problems arise because the brakes don't work on the toad.
I've just been on Armitages of Ferrybridge web site and they have "A" frames that have braking systems and lighting systems. Even a parking brake and jockey wheel.

I may be miles behind the times here, but doesn't that sort out the legal aspect, or am I just being naive. :Blush:

Sorry to open this up again if you knew about it all along. :hardhat:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi it sorts part of the problem, however a vehicle on an "A" frame becomes a trailer and has to be capable of being reversed. due to the steering geometry of the car, camber angle etc that is almost but not entirely impossible.But lots of people do tow for many hundreds of miles every year. How you fare if pulled depends on what plod had for breakfast, hee hee. Definitely illegal in Spain and some other countries so be careful. Try a search on here for thousands of posts on the subject for and against, no point in reinventing the wheel.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you will find that although they have brakes when going forwards . that comply .
when going backwards doesnt have auto reverse braking . ie .the brakes would come on if you reversed back ,specially up a hill .
there are systems that dont use the sliding hitch . and these would comply in my mind . i cant see the sliding hitch ones complying properly .
but really it makes much more sense to get a mini artic .or a 5er.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Most round here use 'legal' ones, ie braked, either overrun cable connected to the toads footbrake pedal or electric, the electric type either sence movment and apply pressuere via a ram to the footbrake pedal again or the ram (and it's mechanism) have a direct elctrical connection to a control box connected to the towing vehicles brake pedal, well the brake light switch.

None braked or recovery are the ones you're thinking off and apart from recovery they aren't suitable really for the task, not least of which because they are bound by specific laws, ie recovery only and speed limited to name but two. To complicat I beleive some can be braked but I don't know how.

Fundamentaly a recovery frame clamps to the vehicle suspension whereas the sort MHs typically use use dedicated brackets to connect, attached to the chassis, or structural part of the toad vehicle.

Reversing is contentios, the rules state reverse but not how for or any manoverabilty, and a framed car will go backwards, but not for, unless you're very luck or sneak someone in the drivers seat to steer:ROFLMAO:

I deliberatly used the term 'legal', as I think we all agree it's a bit of a grey area as here in the UK they are neither legal or illegal and as long as trailer regs are observed you're at least in the right (legal) direction, well until a law is passed or precedent set in court.

A frames arn't new, been around decades, safe, simple and personal choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
So it is me being a bit slow then :Blush:

Thought I may have stumbled onto something new, but apparently not. :Doh:

I don't intend using one myself anyway. Much prefer the (legal) motorbike in the trailer. :thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
recovery dollies have a speed limit .recovery aframes dont .
only conventional trailer speeds .
dollies are classed different . 40 on motorways .20 mph on other roads .

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
but really it makes much more sense to get a mini artic .or a 5er.
This presumes you always want a car with you, what if it's occational, what if it's not every time, what if the car is a 'fun' car, MH = flexible, all others pose limitations?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There might be loads of reasons why A frames are illegal (I don't know of any, and no one has yet convinced me they are illegal) but reversing is not one of them. I have seen A frames reversed loads of times.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no limitations with mine probably goes places many motorhomes fear to tread . and i carry my m,bike in the back. might even be shorter than many m,homes .lower and narrower.
3m high .7ft6ins wide .10mtr long .
every one knows artic is more manouverable than a rigid.
plus only one insurance one tax (m,home /car).
can agree that a 4x4 truck ie. canter would be nice under the front but cant have it all.
mind i do have aframe ,towboy dollie and loads of recovery equipment here should i want to do it different . bike trailers, front wheel lift and kliponoff carriers .
but artic is definately the ultimate way to do it .hee hee . :thumb:
but dont go too big is the answer .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There might be loads of reasons why A frames are illegal (I don't know of any, and no one has yet convinced me they are illegal) but reversing is not one of them. I have seen A frames reversed loads of times.
I hate to start an other A frame war BUT......if the brake linkage is correctly adjusted you cannot reverse an A frame except down hill.

the rolling resistance of the toad will be higher than the overrun hitch spring/damper resistance and thus will apply the brakes.
once the wheels castor left or right the resistance is then 100%..effectively stopping the car dead.

downhill, of course, the car will try to run away against the hitch so the hitch wont slide, so the brakes wont come on....unless the wheels castor left or right as above.

final comments from me on the subject :thumb:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa that why you need the leccy operated brakes , no pressing on brake pedal no brakes coming on . or air both work fine.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I quite fancy an A frame myself.

Not to use in Spain but everywhere else.

Assuming I have the towing power could I stick an A frame on a. BMW 5 series?

I don't really see much point towing a dinky car.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Assuming I have the towing power could I stick an A frame on a. BMW 5 series?

providing it aint an auto and the vans train weight is rated for the weight of the BMW, then i cant see any reason why not.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Assuming I have the towing power[HI] could I stick an A frame on a. BMW 5 series?[/HI]

that's putting the cart before the horse.. :roflmto:

better buying a nice caravan ... :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I hate to start an other A frame war BUT......if the brake linkage is correctly adjusted you cannot reverse an A frame except down hill.

the rolling resistance of the toad will be higher than the overrun hitch spring/damper resistance and thus will apply the brakes.
once the wheels castor left or right the resistance is then 100%..effectively stopping the car dead.

downhill, of course, the car will try to run away against the hitch so the hitch wont slide, so the brakes wont come on....unless the wheels castor left or right as above.

Not with an unbraked frame with a brake buddy, buddy :winky: :reel:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I hate to start an other A frame war BUT......if the brake linkage is correctly adjusted
[HI]you cannot reverse an A frame except down hill.
[/HI] the rolling resistance of the toad will be higher than the overrun hitch spring/damper resistance and thus will apply the brakes.

Similar to a Fiat then. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we aret doing too bad ,you said last comment by you on it ages ago . hee hee.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Some automatics can be towed without problem - don't know if the BMW is one though.

Some a-frames (like the Blue Ox Aventa that I have for sale :winky:) aren't braked and so can be reversed without suffering the sliding hitch issue that PJ mentions above

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Some automatics can be towed without problem - don't know if the BMW is one though.

Some a-frames (like the Blue Ox Aventa that I have for sale :winky:) aren't braked and so can be reversed without suffering the sliding hitch issue that PJ mentions above

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

My reason for posting this thread was to point out that a particular make of "A" frame had a braking system, so effectively making it "more" legal, if that makes sense. Surely your unbraked "A" frame is "less" legal.

Blooming heck, it's a mine field, innit !!!!!!! :Eeek:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
My reason for posting this thread was to point out that a particular make of "A" frame had a braking system, so effectively making it "more" legal, if that makes sense. Surely your unbraked "A" frame is "less" legal.

Blooming heck, it's a mine field, innit !!!!!!! :Eeek:

I understand why you might think that that but of course the manufacture, sale, purchase and ownership of an unbraked a-frame is not illegal.

When in use I always used a Brake Buddy braking system (also for sale :winky:) and therefore I had a braked trailer attached whenever I was towing the car.

HTH

Bryan

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
boring, boring and boring...

Bob

Probably as boring as reading about someone trying to sell an RV........................again and again and again ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry Bob, couldn't resist that :thumb:

It's only boring to those of you who have been there and done that.
Us novices have yet to learn it all. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back