Free Member
Aug 23, 2012
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First serious post!

Our new Hobby is plated at 3500kg – to replate to 3850kg would cost us £200 at the dealer and I can see advantages (current payload is just under 300kg) but am not sure whether there are disadvantages. We both have the licences and are well under 70 so there’s no issue there. There’s only the two of us (plus the dog) and we’re not intending carrying a Motorbike or Scooter. However, we do intend to add a Satellite Dome and Roof Mounted Air Con, Gaslow etc so we may get close to our limit.

Obviously we move tax brackets (and I understand it’s actually cheaper at the moment) but what else may cause us some thought?

We plan both UK and Europe touring if that makes a difference

Would appreciate any comments

Roy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You would officially be a Classe 3 on French Autoroutes, as opposed to a Classe 2. I think though that it would be unlikely in the extreme for a Peage collector to realise.

Steve

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are at 3850kg and have always passed tolls as a class 2.

A 300kg payload will be gone in no time. Why have the stress of worrying about your weight?

I would plate up, there is no disadvantage and the tax is cheaper. One assumes your UNLADEN weight is more than 3050kg, so there will be no difference in UK speed limits either.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roy M

Free Member
Aug 23, 2012
Carlisle
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My "weight in travel ready state" is quoted at 3,207kg and that includes 180litres of Water / Waste and 75kg driver so I guess I'd be under (but very close to) the 3050kg - I'm not sure if it would really trouble me though

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
an often overlooked fact is that vehicles over 3500 that are wild parked are expected by law to have parking lights on. under 3500 do not. wierd or what.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
does anyone know it is possible to increase the gross weight of my transit herald camper that i have just bought,it is gvw 3300kg,i would very much like to increase this to gvw 3500kg:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
does anyone know it is possible to increase the gross weight of my transit herald camper that i have just bought,it is gvw 3300kg,i would very much like to increase this to gvw 3500kg:thumb:

If it's the one on Ebay from Wisbech, it looked like a nice van!:thumb:

There's a company called SVtech that up-plates stuff.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Plating to above 3500, makes your vehicle PRIVATE HEAVY GOODS. It made mine unablke to go into London due to the LEZ. Not a major problem you may think, but coming back from Wales, its either 45 mins through London, or 90 mins plyus around the M25, not a problem for you....but there may be some future drawbackas, keep an eye on it.

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Plating to above 3500, makes your vehicle PRIVATE HEAVY GOODS. It made mine unablke to go into London due to the LEZ. Not a major problem you may think, but coming back from Wales, its either 45 mins through London, or 90 mins plyus around the M25, not a problem for you....but there may be some future drawbackas, keep an eye on it.

Can you drive a vehicle plated up to 3850 on a standard car licence??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you drive a vehicle plated up to 3850 on a standard car licence??
depends when you took your test.

if before 1997 then you can drive up to 7500kg...known as 'grandfather rights'...on a standard car licence.

after 1997 then you are restricted to 3500kg until you take a further test for C1 category, which again will allow you up to 7500kg

there are other things related to both licence categories but for now are unimportant unless you intend towing.

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
depends when you took your test.

if before 1997 then you can drive up to 7500kg...known as 'grandfather rights'...on a standard car licence.

after 1997 then you are restricted to 3500kg until you take a further test for C1 category, which again will allow you up to 7500kg

there are other things related to both licence categories but for now are unimportant unless you intend towing.

Trouble is I will be on a standard NZ licence.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Trouble is I will be on a standard NZ licence.
just read your other post regarding the Hymer/alko chassis question and it dawned on me you aint British :Doh:

I would think, in the light of this, you will be restricted to 3500kg gross weight....which is the weight limit for a motor car, which a motorhome is as far as driving licence is concerned.

after 3500kg it becomes a Large goods vehicle (heavy goods vehicle)

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
just read your other post regarding the Hymer/alko chassis question and it dawned on me you aint British :Doh:

I would think, in the light of this, you will be restricted to 3500kg gross weight....which is the weight limit for a motor car, which a motorhome is as far as driving licence is concerned.

after 3500kg it becomes a Large goods vehicle (heavy goods vehicle)

Cheers Papajohn:Smile:
Actually I am British but have lived in NZ for over 40 years . Still travel on my British passport .
Having a hell of a job planning our trip ,coming over in Aprill next year for 6 months travelling through the UK.
This weight problem is a headache as it's very difficult getting insurance as it is. Replating to 3850 is out of the question then:Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cheers Papajohn:Smile:
Actually I am British but have lived in NZ for over 40 years . Still travel on my British passport .
Having a hell of a job planning our trip ,coming over in Aprill next year for 6 months travelling through the UK.
This weight problem is a headache as it's very difficult getting insurance as it is. Replating to 3850 is out of the question then:Sad:

I would imagine that what ever weight restrictions or grants apply to your upside down licence will apply here too,
Simples:thumb:
Geo

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
I would imagine that what ever weight restrictions or grants apply to your upside down licence will apply here too,
Simples:thumb:
Geo
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. In Kiwi there is an exemption for motorhomes up to 4000kg. As I understand it in the UK you can only go up to 3500 kg on a standard car licence , if you are driving on an overseas license.
Simples it certainly aint::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Assuming you passed your test in the UK before you left, why not just reapply for your British licence ok up to 7500kgs then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back