wessex wanderer

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I keep thinking that a car would give us a wee bit more flexibility, would appreciate any comments and advice..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Did you use a particular mathematical formula to arrive at your thinking or was it a Eureka moment::bigsmile:
Yes you are right it does add flexibility,
It also adds problems about how you tow, have you the capacity to tow, both physically and legally
Geo

OP
OP
W

wessex wanderer

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oohh Geo this was a pure Eureka moment :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I've done some research, A frames, engine size, car weights etc..:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Here we go again??? :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Towing

If you use the 'Search' button on the MHF toolbar and type in towing you will find all the info you need to make your mind up

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi there - we all ask questions without searching -
You are not alone!:ROFLMAO:

And when I start towing a car, I'll probably ask the same!

S

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you use the 'Search' button on the MHF toolbar and type in towing you will find all the info you need to make your mind up

With over 50,000 threads and over 500,000 responses if we used the search button rather than ask, then no one need make another post. We could just turn the site into a thick read only wiki and close it to new members. ::bigsmile: We don't have an FAQ for the very reason that we want people to ask, we want to interact with them and personally answer their questions. Those forums that tell new users to RTFM or point them toward the search button or an FAQ are not the nicest places.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I keep thinking that a car would give us a wee bit more flexibility, would appreciate any comments and advice..

Hi Ian, if you want to tow a small car in the UK, then you could look at an A Frame, this is where the car is towed flat on all four wheels, its relatively simple and you do not have to worry about parking and securing a trailer on sites. Recently in Europe especially Spain the police have been issuing on-the-spot fines for A frames, so if you want to head there then a trailer is best. Tiny cars only need a small trailer but its still a hassle. This is why electric bicycles are popular:thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
With over 50,000 threads and over 500,000 responses if we used the search button rather than ask, then no one need make another post. We could just turn the site into a thick read only wiki and close it to new members. ::bigsmile: We don't have an FAQ for the very reason that we want people to ask, we want to interact with them and personally answer their questions. Those forums that tell new users to RTFM or point them toward the search button or an FAQ are not the nicest places.

My post was to try and give some help, when those that had posted before me had made light of the subject.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi Ian, if you want to tow a small car in the UK, then you could look at an A Frame, this is where the car is towed flat on all four wheels, its relatively simple and you do not have to worry about parking and securing a trailer on sites. Recently in Europe especially Spain the police have been issuing on-the-spot fines for A frames, so if you want to head there then a trailer is best. Tiny cars only need a small trailer but its still a hassle. This is why electric bicycles are popular:thumb:

Jim,
Just as a matter of interest I am thinking of doing the same as Ian . However I seem to think that you can't tow a smart car on an a frame as they are automatic. Do you know if this is correct?
Thanks.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Ian, I use an A Frame to tow a Kia Picanto and it gives me so much more flexibility. I only use it in UK and especially when visiting relatives in the Lake district. Some people on here will say 'why' others will agree. Bottom line is it is personal choice, whatever gives you what you want. There are a few types of A Frame available, again, it is personal choice and budget. I use the Uni-brake system but they all do what they are designed for. Good luck with making your decision.....Derek

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought a small car intending to use it as a tow car but haven't got around to fitting a tow bar on either the van or the car so one of us drives the car and one of us drives the van.
We certainly make use of the car but there has to be two drivers.
Not worth the expense off putting one on this van as we are changing it in the spring.
We intend touring abroad soon and will sell the car as we have been told it's much easier on the continent without a car as sites are closer to the Towns and villages than in Britain

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We tow a Peugeot 107 on an A Frame in the UK, a very economical 4 seater , an improvement we think on a 2 seat Smart car.
We do have a Brian James trailer but what a pain when we get on site.

Willy Bippet

Free Member
Sep 4, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Unless you pay the subscription you can't use the search facility, and as a new user he won't have subscribed (like me) ..... you need to be sure that you like the site and will return to it over again to decide whether or not to subscribe.

And it looks unlikely that Wessex will :RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Those forums that tell new users to RTFM or point them toward the search button or an FAQ are not the nicest places.

I don't see it quite like that Jim.

So many requests for help can require complex answers. So to the old lags in here it could be half an hour's typing for one person's answer or tell the OP to use search and get years of accumulated knowledge.

Many times I've posted a link to The Italian Job or said search on Italian Job because the information for enjoying Italy runs to many pages and it's all here, so in my humble opinion it's the best answer to the original question.

Same with batteries, always cropping up and many different people have offered different solutions. The same people might not be available to offer the advice this time round.

So if £10 or 40 miles travel is a stumbling block, knickers to them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
you need to be sure that you like the site and will return to it over again to decide whether or not to subscribe.

Fair enough. There is so much out there FOC why pay. I go on many sites and don't pay a penny. On the other hand I'll gladly pay up if the site needs support or offers real benefits, like the banter on here.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't see it quite like that Jim.

So many requests for help can require complex answers. So to the old lags in here it could be half an hour's typing for one person's answer or tell the OP to use search and get years of accumulated knowledge.

Many times I've posted a link to The Italian Job or said search on Italian Job because the information for enjoying Italy runs to many pages and it's all here, so in my humble opinion it's the best answer to the original question.

Same with batteries, always cropping up and many different people have offered different solutions. The same people might not be available to offer the advice this time round.

So if £10 or 40 miles travel is a stumbling block, knickers to them.

I agree with you; a good thread that answers a question well should often be pointed too.

It rarely happens here, but on some forums someone takes the time to answer a thread but only to tell some new guy to use the search button or read the FAQ. This will more than likely provide the info but it does not come across as very friendly. What almost always happens here on fun is IMO perfect, someone paraphrases an answer and then points to the reference, this gives the forum a much friendlier feel and encourages new posters to join in:thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Unless you pay the subscription you can't use the search facility, and as a new user he won't have subscribed (like me) ..... you need to be sure that you like the site and will return to it over again to decide whether or not to subscribe.

And it looks unlikely that Wessex will :RollEyes:

As I explained my post was in response to, what I saw, as previous unhelpfull posts.

I can see now that my 'contribution' could have been seen in the same light, but it was not intended

As far as subscribing - I have more than had my £10s worth since joining in April this year and most of the posts (NOT ALL) are helpful and entertaining.

It takes all sorts to make up any comunity and MHF is no exception.
:Smile:

OP
OP
W

wessex wanderer

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Guys .. I did search through some of the threads but i did not use the search facility on the site and Yes I did subscribe, simply becauce i found a great deal of information that we found to be very helpful.

I will seach .. and think hard before i ask any other questions here:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will seach .. and think hard before i ask any other questions here:Smile:

Ask away. This debate is on the best answer. If "search" is the best one you'll get it but no-one ever resents a question though I have to say "does anyone poo in their toilet" is stretching things.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Hi,

for what it's worth:

For: freedom, easier than motorhome for exploring, hitch and vitually forget, little effect on fuel consumption. Don't need to take every time.

Against: additional tax, insurance and MOT, extra parking at home unless you use it as first or second car. reversing - not a chance! need to unhitch manouvre and rehitch, hitching can be a problem unless on level ground, additional maintainance, oh those electrics, inital cost, no chance Spain, Italy ? I'm sure this list will be added to

Tow a caravan - not likely!

best thing I ever bought although it will not and never will satisfy all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The most frustrating aspect of FUN is the search facility.

Type in a key word and you have dozens of posts to trawl through to find the answer you want mixed in with all the rubbish and 'off at a tangent' replies.

asking directly may be repetitive and sometimes boring but you may only have a couple of dozen answers to read, instead of maybe a couple of hundred posts using 'search'.

I will not use 'search' for that reason.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Jim,
Just as a matter of interest I am thinking of doing the same as Ian . However I seem to think that you can't tow a smart car on an a frame as they are automatic. Do you know if this is correct?
Thanks.

a smart is not an automatic in reality.

an automatic has a hydraulic torque converter that needs to be driven off the engine otherwise the oil doesn't lubricate the gearbox hence why they cannot be towed on an a frame.

the smart is essentially a manual gearbox with an electronic controlled clutch and gear selector and therefore can be flat towed on an a frame.

however if at any point you need to reverse the only real way is with a proper trailer otherwise you need to disconnect the car and reverse that first then the motorhome.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I find the idea of electric bikes or a suitable scooter fairly attractive. It does depend on how far you want to explore when you are at your destination, I suppose, but worth considering. Best of luck anyway - there is no wrong answer, just different viewpoints and needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back