Tom Tom - Narrow roads etc (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I know there are POI's to be downloaded to enhance the Tom Tom and assist it in making your journey easier ( and on roads that are wider than 7 feet ) but not 100% sure on how to use these. I thought POI's were things you navigate to. Can someone enlighten me please. I'm obviously missing something............................. Isn't the first time...

:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I contacted TomTom as I'd also heard it might be possible to "add on" something to make it more useful for motorhome use. They replied very promptly and said my model couldn't be updated.
Might be worth emailing TomTom with your model number.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure if this helps, but................. I wanted to add Europe maps to my Tom Tom and the young lad at Tom Tom advised me to download them to my computer, then added the memory card on my model of Tom Tom was insufficient to hold the information and advised buying a new card. Adding don't buy it from Tom Tom its too expensive, get one from Tesco and put it in. I did this at very little cost and downlaoded Europe maps to my existing and very old Tom Tom.
Maybe this would work for you, ask Tom Tom if this would be a means of adding the information you require.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have a TomTom Truck version on a SD card which I have used on my Go720. Which allows you to enter vehicle size and weight.:Smile:
I've used it a couple of times in France and Spain, but have reverted to the standard car maps, as I was fed up with the extended journeys, around places I knew from previous experience I could traverse with ease.:Sad:

I use the "if the road Tom Tom want's you to turn into, don't look right, don't go down it" system, which has always worked for me in the past.:winky:

That was in my rather big and wide Hymer days, I have a LWB van conversion now and it will go most places a car can go, so no problem.:thumb:

I try not to reverse in it though,'cos it judders.:Doh:

Pete:Cool:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a TomTom Truck version on a SD card which I have used on my Go720. Which allows you to enter vehicle size and weight.:Smile:
I've used it a couple of times in France and Spain, but have reverted to the standard car maps, as I was fed up with the extended journeys, around places I knew from previous experience I could traverse with ease.:Sad:

I use the "if the road Tom Tom want's you to turn into, don't look right, don't go down it" system, which has always worked for me in the past.:winky:

That was in my rather big and wide Hymer days, I have a LWB van conversion now and it will go most places a car can go, so no problem.:thumb:

I try not to reverse in it though,'[HI]cos it judders[/HI].:Doh:

You can get a screen mount will stop that.:Smile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
TomToms can be set to make a noise if you get within a certain distance of any POI.

My TomTom's by no means new but I was still able to download some POIs for low bridges and narrow roads in the UK then set it to alert me if we got too close to either. Typically we get a 'bing bong' sound a few hundred yards short of either type of obstacle, even if they're not on the road we're actually driving on. With bridges we've usually seen the signs well before the bing bong anyway, but it's useful with narrow bits of road.

I think I downloaded them for free using the TomTom Home software that pops up when we connect the device to our computer.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't have a Tom Tom any more but the one I had included a facility to show PoIs along a route. Can't remember how it was set up but the Tom Tom help files should explain.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I have a tom tom for motorhomes..........you put in your dimensions and it routes accordingly.

Link Removed

You can change it from "motorhome " to car....and I have hust been using it in my car to date..............but I always use my tom toms (I have 3) along with a paper map when planning.

barry

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have a tom tom for motorhomes..........you put in your dimensions and it routes accordingly.

Link Removed

You can change it from "motorhome " to car....and I have hust been using it in my car to date..............but I always use my tom toms (I have 3) along with a paper map when planning.

barry

Thanks Barry, I have seen that one but as I already have a TomTom I'd rather upgrade the software that fork out £400. After all it's just a bit of software it needs. I might have to continue using the existing one, a map and my common sense. Doomed..........

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my experience the Truck or Motorhome versions are poor. They will either ignore your wishes and take you down lanes with grass up the middle or they will route you miles out your way keeping you on A roads and motorways.

When we travelled with the RV and its was important we didn't get stuck on too narrower roads or low/humpback bridges we told TomTom where we wanted to go and how we wanted to get there. That way we didn't get any/many surprises. We'd plot all the way-points along the way ensuring that TT would not take any dodgy shortcuts. Then we'd follow the driving direction knowing where we were being taken. Even if you have a cheap TomTom that does not do "routes" you could plot a few favourites, name them sequentially and then navigate from one to the other to ensure you don't get lead astray.

This does mean though that you need to consult a map. Remember them? :roflmto:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

I try not to reverse in it though,'cos it judders.:Doh:

I found the TT Truck maps to be a godsend in Europe Pete. Here in the UK, I often revert to the van setting, especially if it tries to tell me that there is no available truck or bus route. "Oh right then, so how do local residents and businesses get their bins emptied, if there is no truck route, or, why is that double decker bus full of passengers coming round the bend, if this isn't a bus route?" :Doh:

My annoyance with the Truck maps is the re-routing for busy times of the day, (can't remember the term TT uses), which can take you off a perfectly good motorway, and on to a B or C class road.............if you are not on the ball with it. :winky:

For the original poster, apparently the 520, 720, 920 and 530, 730, 930 TT units can take a 4Gb SD card, which are more than big enough for the European Truck maps, then just put the Western European maps on the internal 2Gb HD.

HTH,

Jock.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi, I know there are POI's to be downloaded to enhance the Tom Tom and assist it in making your journey easier ( and on roads that are wider than 7 feet ) but not 100% sure on how to use these. I thought POI's were things you navigate to. Can someone enlighten me please. I'm obviously missing something............................. Isn't the first time...

:thumb:

Hi Gordon,
POI's ( Points of Interest ) are useful points you can use to locate all sorts of things from petrol stations to a local Lidl shop..
Most modern GPS units come with a good many preloaded, and you can further add your own on most models quite easily ( As a for instance I spent 10 minutes last night downloading all the Aire, Stelplatz, Spanish gas outlets and a few others from this very forum )

What you are thinking of is Way Points.
In the bad old days, you had to jump through hoops to set a route.. Putting in way points at every junction you needed to turn at.. if you didn't, all the old units would do is draw a straight line from your start point to the destination !!

Nowadays of course you simply put the destination and the unit will work out the route to take using roads available rather than as the crow flies

Way points are still used in both aero and nautical navigation though. ( Though the Garmin number one used in his plane was pre-programmed with all the various military and civil air spaces you could not enter, so it was kinda like navigating on the road... just considerably higher and a tad quicker ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back