Bentley motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The Bently name and business has been bought by Vanmaster a Lancashire caravan manufacturer, just been announced by Out and about live (MMM)

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Bentley Motorhomes, the multi-award-winning motorhome manufacturer that went into receivership in August, has been bought by a caravan manufacturer.

Vanmaster, a Lancashire-based manufacturer of quality caravans, has acquired the Bentley name and business from the administrator, Begbies Traynor.

Richard Saville the administrator responsible for the sale said he was very pleased the business has been sold, although was disappointed it could not have be sold as a going concern. The sale, he said, has been completed and all of the tangible assets of Bentley Motorhomes have now passed to Vanmaster, including the Bentley name and motorhome design and production equipment.

The directors of Vanmaster are now working with suppliers and other interested parties with the objective of recommencing production at Bentley’s Mexborough factory.

It is planned that some of the staff laid off when the motorhome manufacturer went under will be re-employed by Vanmaster. It is also understood that Vanmaster is in discussion with the Gordon Bentley about how his skills can be used in the company.

Vanmaster is also meeting with the Bentley dealer network about which, if any, of them will sell Bentley motorhomes again when production restarts.

However, Ian Thompson, Vanmaster managing director, said when production of Bentley motorhomes restarts, it will be at a lower volume than previously. “We will not be mass production, we will be direct selling to customers.”
He also said that a primary focus of the on-going discussions with Bentley’s suppliers is to ensure that Vanmaster will be able to honour the warranty cover on Bentleys that are already on the road.

Lesley Thompson of Vanmaster, added: “This is a unique opportunity for two award-winning companies involved in the manufacture of high-quality caravans and motorhomes to work together to continue to innovate and deliver positive customer experiences.”

Read more about this story in coming issues of MMM and Which Motorhome magazines. Order your copies by clicking on the icons below:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Never heard of Vanmaster but then not being a tugger it's not surprising. From their website they look just the sort of company that can make the most of a British top end motorhome product. Having Master in their name will also suit the Renault chassis cab that shares that name.
Good luck to all concerned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Very pleased Bentley have been taken on by such a reputable manufacturer. I have never been a tugger but follow the caravan industry, sad or what. Vanmaster manufacture very, very well made caravans and have done so for many years.
If they can still honour the Bentley warranty and continue the build quality then I feel they will manage to keep the motorhomes going. There plan to downsize production is wise and limit build to orders as they do with there caravan manufacture.
As I own a Bentley there continued trading will help me but most vans are built in the same way so repairing any faults was never going to be a worry.
I wish Vanmaster the very best of luck in the future.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Bentley Motorhomes, the multi-award-winning motorhome manufacturer that went into receivership in August, has been bought by a caravan manufacturer.

Vanmaster, a Lancashire-based manufacturer of quality caravans, has acquired the Bentley name and business from the administrator, Begbies Traynor.

Richard Saville the administrator responsible for the sale said he was very pleased the business has been sold, although was disappointed it could not have be sold as a going concern. The sale, he said, has been completed and all of the tangible assets of Bentley Motorhomes have now passed to Vanmaster, including the Bentley name and motorhome design and production equipment.

The directors of Vanmaster are now working with suppliers and other interested parties with the objective of recommencing production at Bentley’s Mexborough factory.

It is planned that some of the staff laid off when the motorhome manufacturer went under will be re-employed by Vanmaster. [HI]It is also understood that Vanmaster is in discussion with the Gordon Bentley about how his skills can be used in the company.[/HI]

Vanmaster is also meeting with the Bentley dealer network about which, if any, of them will sell Bentley motorhomes again when production restarts.

However, Ian Thompson, Vanmaster managing director, said when production of Bentley motorhomes restarts, it will be at a lower volume than previously. “We will not be mass production, we will be direct selling to customers.”
He also said that a primary focus of the on-going discussions with Bentley’s suppliers is to ensure that Vanmaster will be able to honour the warranty cover on Bentleys that are already on the road.

Lesley Thompson of Vanmaster, added: “This is a unique opportunity for two award-winning companies involved in the manufacture of high-quality caravans and motorhomes to work together to continue to innovate and deliver positive customer experiences.”

Read more about this story in coming issues of MMM and Which Motorhome magazines. Order your copies by clicking on the icons below:

Oh dear his track record with running a company is not great so lets hope its something else they are going to seek help with

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006

Richard Saville the administrator responsible for the sale said he was very pleased the business has been sold, although was disappointed it could not have be sold as a going concern. The

Well thats a relief!! I spoke to Fullers this afternoon and they knew nothing of any buy out. They did, however, promise to put any problems right, so we were quite pleased about that!!

Ginny and Mike

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Very pleased Bentley have been taken on by such a reputable manufacturer. I have never been a tugger but follow the caravan industry, sad or what. Vanmaster manufacture very, very well made caravans and have done so for many years.
If they can still honour the Bentley warranty and continue the build quality then I feel they will manage to keep the motorhomes going. There plan to downsize production is wise and limit build to orders as they do with there caravan manufacture.
As I own a Bentley there continued trading will help me but most vans are built in the same way so repairing any faults was never going to be a worry.
I wish Vanmaster the very best of luck in the future.

Hi, could you please email all the Bentley club members, I had an email from Valerie Fahey this morning asking if I had any information on Bentleys. I am sure everybody will be relieved that they have been bought out and that the Warranties will be honoured!! we certainly are.

We are at the Mini meet in Scotland at the moment and I am using somebody elses computer, so it is difficult to email everybody myself.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Oh dear his track record with running a company is not great so lets hope its something else they are going to seek help with

To be fair to Gordon Bentley we must understand that it was his backer, no names mentioned, who pulled the rug. This reliable backer is the problem and has been in the past ventures. This is what happens when so called backers/partners are involved, s... does hit the fan many, many times. In an ideal world all businesses would like to be free from partners but never will. In my 40+ years of running a business nearly all the bankrupt customers we encountered were brought down by a so called partnership.
I have dealt with the Bentley family for my last three vans ( 10 years) and have found them very reliable and trustworthy, Gordon has a wealth of design ideas but must choose any partner much more carefully.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You would do well to gen up on his previous companies and what happened to all of them before giving him a reference

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Broken Link Removed

Gordon James Bentley has 13 company director or secretary appointments.

Short name - Gordon Bentley
Director ID : 905622165
Year of Birth: 1946

Address

19 Ferrers Close
Castle Donnington
Derby
DE74 2QW

Company Summary

Company Name Company Status
BENTLEY MOTORHOMES LTD Dissolved
G BENTLEY MOTORHOMES LTD Dissolved
PAL HOLDINGS REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PROJECT ALEXANDER LIMITED Dissolved
AUTOCRUISE GROUP HOLDINGS LIMITED Dissolved
PAL SC REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PAL JJH REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PIONEER CLASSIC LIMITED Dissolved
PAL CH REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
HOLDSWORTH DIRECT SALES LIMITED Dissolved
AUTOCRUISE LIMITED Dissolved

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Broken Link Removed

Gordon James Bentley has 13 company director or secretary appointments.

Short name - Gordon Bentley
Director ID : 905622165
Year of Birth: 1946

Address

19 Ferrers Close
Castle Donnington
Derby
DE74 2QW

Company Summary

Company Name Company Status
PAL HOLDINGS REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PROJECT ALEXANDER LIMITED Dissolved
AUTOCRUISE GROUP HOLDINGS LIMITED Dissolved
PAL SC REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PAL JJH REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
PIONEER CLASSIC LIMITED Dissolved
PAL CH REALISATIONS 2007 LIMITED Dissolved
HOLDSWORTH DIRECT SALES LIMITED Dissolved
AUTOCRUISE LIMITED Dissolved

I totally agree with all you say and was aware of all his previous but I was only refereing to his backer. As a director he has only put his name forward, it doesn't mean much, just writing on paper. If he was that bad then he would have been struck off from ever directing a company again. Most, if not all of his companies had the same backer so if the backer goes then the director,s have no choice. After over 40 years in business myself I am very aware of the scams companies get involved with. We were lucky and always managed to finance ourselves. Directors are not really the hub of a business but just names to take the flak. I had a customer who had his two pet dogs down as directors and another had his cat and goldfish named. The real people are the backers who nearly always become hidden so get away with any bad publicity.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I totally agree with all you say and was aware of all his previous but I was only refereing to his backer. [HI]As a director he has only put his name forward, it doesn't mean much, just writing on paper.[/HI]

I doubt the court would agree with that statement given the provisions of the Companies Act 2006 ::bigsmile:

If he was that bad then he would have been struck off from ever directing a company again. Most, if not all of his companies had the same backer so if the backer goes then the director,s have no choice. After over 40 years in business myself I am very aware of the scams companies get involved with. We were lucky and always managed to finance ourselves. [HI]Directors are not really the hub of a business but just names to take the flak. I had a customer who had his two pet dogs down as directors and another had his cat and goldfish named.[/HI] The real people are the backers who nearly always become hidden so get away with any bad publicity.

But names with Link Removed ::bigsmile:

Like many things, everything is fine so long as nothing goes wrong but there are all sorts of pitfalls for those who sail close to the wind ::bigsmile:

I would be very wary about entrusting any valuable service or large amount of money to a company whose directors had a record of being past directors of several failed companies.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So would I Graham :thumb:
I know a couple of so called directors that started up company's with the sole intension of running up debts, milking the company then going bust.:Eeek:
terry

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I know a couple of so called directors that started up company's with the sole intension of running up debts, milking the company then going bust.:Eeek:
terry

Let's face it the whole spectrum of Limited companies is an oppourtunity for corruption. The law is still far to soft with directors etc. Look no further than our banking system and politicians involved with business.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
terry

Let's face it the whole spectrum of Limited companies is an oppourtunity for corruption. The law is still far to soft with directors etc. Look no further than our banking system and politicians involved with business.

Amazing, given how long rogue trader type shows have been running on TV. Maybe an automatic "two strikes and you're out" type of scheme wants to be brought in.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Amazing, given how long rogue trader type shows have been running on TV. Maybe an automatic "two strikes and you're out" type of scheme wants to be brought in.

You are making the right sounds mate, fancy being a politician? Maybe you are far to honest.
Wilf
PS Just been down your area today. Her indoors fancied a look down Portrack Land, bloody shops of course.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are making the right sounds mate, fancy being a politician? Maybe you are far to honest.
Wilf
Dunno about honest - perceptive maybe? :roflmto:
PS Just been down your area today. Her indoors fancied a look down Portrack Land, bloody shops of course.
Should have stopped at Dalton Park :Smile: We hardly ever go to Portrack Lane and when we do the shops often enough don't have what we want ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back