Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi,

This is a “new” sat nav model from Garmim. Is anyone using it? I have a TomTom live which is not working for me..lol. Could do with some help.. (I do use the conventioal paper maps).

See link for info

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/moreformembers/club-navigation/free-map-updates-for-life/

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I think another marketing ploy--
Sat nav for--
bikes
trucks
caravans
bus

all the same --just adjust the software settings on any one to do all:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300T a couple of years ago. Now discontinued but Halfords are still offering it at £79.90. I bought a lifetime maps upgrade subscription, still available at £75 according to the Garmin web site.

PoIs are available free from plenty of web sites, usually free if produced by a company (including C&CC).

I still question the value of being able to put in vehicle measurements as, so far as I know, none of the sat nav manufacturers have updated their mapping databases to include other than legally restricted roads - fine for heights and weights but many narrow roads have only a physical, not legal, restriction so the software doesn't recognise them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Height and width downloads are available on line for about a tenner each but I just watch the road signs :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They are handy in a city but maps do not tell lies. Managed with maps for 60 years on bikes cars and campers so they must work.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Busby I thought like you until my brother lent me his to go somewhere I went to Halfords the next day and purchased my own. I still have a quick check on the map when I put route in but think they are great and wonder now how I stuck with a map for so long

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Hi,

This is a “new” sat nav model from Garmim. Is anyone using it? I have a TomTom live which is not working for me..lol. Could do with some help.. (I do use the conventioal paper maps).

See link for info

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/moreformembers/club-navigation/free-map-updates-for-life/

I had an all singing and dancing Garmin for a year (2011/2012). I told it my sizes and weights but the damn thing still took me along roads you wouldn't even take the car. Got shot and bought some new maps instead. It's just so unreliable with a lot of these Satnavs. One instance I was taken down a road 2 metres wide and on another occassion through a town with a weight limit of 1.75 tonne.
Good luck with any choice you make and if it works tell us ALL.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They are handy in a city but maps do not tell lies. Managed with maps for 60 years on bikes cars and campers so they must work.

Busby I thought like you until my brother lent me his to go somewhere I went to Halfords the next day and purchased my own. I still have a quick check on the map when I put route in but think they are great and wonder now how I stuck with a map for so long

I should have also said that we also use maps - was an "ordinary" road atlas but we bought a Truckers Atlas earlier this year. If we have an AtoZ of the area(s) we're going through/to I put those in the van as well. They help avoid narrow roads and crowded town centres.

OP
OP
W

wessex wanderer

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for all your replies Guys, most useful, I think I'll stick with the Truckers map that I have and perhaps perceiver with the TomTom..:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back