Is this a good TomTom plan.......??? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
..............or not.

Putting aside whether there are better sat navs, been pondering whether to replace my 5 year old TT. I hear generally good things about the Live services although have never used them, a bit expensive at around £45 pa after the first year.

So, is this a good plan..... Buy a fairly top end TT say £250, sell it after 12 months and lose maybe £50-£100 on it, then buy another and do the same again the following year.

Good points are....

1) Always have a new device with latest maps.
2) Device always under guarantee.
3) Always have live services.
4) No new maps to pay for.
5) No live services to pay for.

bad points are.....

a) Cost £10 pm (ish) if you lose £100 each year on the sale (some would probably argue £10 pm (ish) is a good point).
b) TT may stop offering Live services free for the first year.
c) May not sell well.

have I missed anything blatantly obvious that shoots it down in flames??

Thoughts?

Steve

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hate being negative... your plan might well work...

I just wonder if you can get the price you want/need each year for a second hand, top of the range Tomtom without the feature (Live Services) which separates it from the competition...

I am wondering right now whether to up grade my maps or not... my problem being will the new map have the latest info about Portugal's "new" toll charging... no point in upgrading now if it hasn't.

I love my Tomtom and use it a lot but it is a tad pricey if you keep everything up to date all the time...

By the way... I do believe that the Live Service subscription has actually come down... if I remember right it used to be something like twenty or thirty pounds a month in the early days.

JJ :Cool:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Regardless of make I would look for deals with 'lifetime updates'.
I bought my current Sat Nav in Halfords Dover when my Mio died as we were driving to get Ferry for a 3mth trip.
I bought a Garmin purely because it was offered at half price with 'lifetime updates'
That was 2 yrs ago and it has updated 3 times since then.
I think that within each price range they all much of a muchness once you get used to them.

Also I would never dream of buying a pre-owned Sat Nav knowing that the first thing I would have to do is purchase an update.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
..............or not.

Putting aside whether there are better sat navs, been pondering whether to replace my 5 year old TT. I hear generally good things about the Live services although have never used them, a bit expensive at around £45 pa after the first year.

So, is this a good plan..... Buy a fairly top end TT say £250, sell it after 12 months and lose maybe £50-£100 on it, then buy another and do the same again the following year.

Good points are....

1) Always have a new device with latest maps.
2) Device always under guarantee.
3) Always have live services.
4) No new maps to pay for.
5) No live services to pay for.

bad points are.....

a) Cost £10 pm (ish) if you lose £100 each year on the sale (some would probably argue £10 pm (ish) is a good point).
b) TT may stop offering Live services free for the first year.
c) May not sell well.

have I missed anything blatantly obvious that shoots it down in flames??

Thoughts?

Steve

As there are so many good deals on the internet.... who in there right mind would want to buy a second hand sat nav !!!!???..after a year...........some body put on this forum about two weeks ago a TOMTOM 1005..around £145.at amazon..one of the top of range tomtoms :Doh:with 1 year updates and 1 year free lives services.Europe maps...(last year I purchased a TT 1000 just under 375 euros...and the 1005 is the same with a Sd card...much better
amazon TT1005 sold out £145...Tesco had the TT1005 on at £140 sold out now...halfords TT1005 still have stock at £ 179.90
Link Removed

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have for sale a tomtom via125 live . It is 12 months old approx and I have just renewed the live subscription for 12 months. I will throw in a new padded case so how does £70 sound?

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Used 1005`s seem to go for about £140-£180. Not checked new price yet.

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Used 1005`s seem to go for about £140-£180. Not checked new price yet.

On the halfords it does not say second hand or refurbs..and i would think the Tesco would have been new ones ...and I looked at the amazon as I nearly purchased as a spare...I did not see used or second hand... these said new ones

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
On the halfords it does not say second hand or refurbs..and i would think the Tesco would have been new ones ...and I looked at the amazon as I nearly purchased as a spare...I did not see used or second hand... these said new ones

Those prices were on ebay.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
You will see a post from me earlier being very disppointed the TomTom caravan sat nav. Its now grown on me love the live services all points are good. Bit pricey but usefull

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Sat navs are not particularly expensive so I would be doubtful of the market for used ones - I wouldn't buy one partly becuase of doubts about what might have been doen to the maps / software updates etc etc.

I think the best way is to buy a decent new one, with (perhaps as an extra) lifetime map updates, then keep it until it dies! I did this with my garmin and it is still going strong after 5 years. Also the software updates keep the facilities reasonably up to date, eg since I got mine speed limits and economy drive features have miraculously appeared!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I bought TOMTOM for iPad & iPhone £79 constant updates no charges as its an app! Really good as well

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have for sale a tomtom via125 live . It is 12 months old approx and I have just renewed the live subscription for 12 months. I will throw in a new padded case so how does £70 sound?

You have a Private Message
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back