Blackberry 64gb playbook only £129 (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
559 down to 129 ?

Wow.

But you've got to ask "why ?".

Ah - QNX.

Wrong operating system. Someone might do an Android hack but without it it's way off mainstream so few apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Put £30 to it and buy the google nexus from Google for £160 ::bigsmile:
Terry:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
still not an Apple

Put £30 to it and buy the google nexus from Google for £160 ::bigsmile:
Terry:thumb:

You can add £50 if you like, but it still is not an Apple...... it's a bit like wanting to be a wannabe Winnebago... not really ... but similar... yea:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
It's cheap because it's rubbish.

The experts gave it a serious thumbs down on launch, so now I guess they have to get rid of the stock.

Pete:Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What's wrong with QNX. It's an old and extremely stable OS.
It's almost 30 years old, MicroKernel architecture, premptive [HI]real time[/HI], unix like OS.

The hardware is amazing quality and this price is unbelievable.
I think they are running down stocks ready for the new version which comes with the new V10 OS (also based on QNX).

My question would be.. Does it do what I need it to do? Who cares who makes it or what OS it runs.

I saw one in Dixons and was about to buy one when the google nexus 7 was announced. I was going to go for the nexus instead. But a 64GB device for £129 is fantastic value. I am going to get one.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Who thinks of all these names?
Apple
Blackberry
Ice cream sandwich
Cookies
" I am off to work dear , i have my sandwiches, apple/blackberry cookie "

I can see the relationship with -
Android
Google Chrome ect --all mechanical sounding names but why use food names?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What's wrong with QNX. It's an old and extremely stable OS.

Where do you get "apps" for QNX ? Would you buy something based on CPM ?

Well you might but Jo Public would be lost, looking at his Apple and Android friends saying "Why can't I do that ?".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But a 64GB device for £129 is fantastic value. I am going to get one.

Thanks for the link.

That's like buying a Ferrari for £1000, problem is it will run only on the A14 from Kettering to Cambridge, you want to got to Birmingham, tough.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Where do you get "apps" for QNX ? Would you buy something based on CPM ?

Well you might but Jo Public would be lost, looking at his Apple and Android friends saying "Why can't I do that ?".

Your initial quote was....

559 down to 129 ?

Wow.

But you've got to ask "why ?".

Ah - QNX.

Wrong operating system. Someone might do an Android hack but without it it's way off mainstream so few apps.

I was responding to that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with QNX. It operates a load of real time machinery including cars.

Your problem is not with QNX it is with Blackberry PlayBook OS.
In the same way that android is based on the Linux Kernel, The blackberry is based on the QNX kernel but that is not the same thing.

If your argument is that there are no Apps for the Playbook I can understand your concern. That is why I made my point about "Does it do what you want it to do". For me it is emails, browsing and watching videos. It does this out of the box. I don't need Apps.

I would just add though that the Blackberry community is still strong contrary to the tech presses negativity. Also the Playbook has been able to run most if not all android apps since Version 2.0 (February this year).

Just in case you hadn't realised. Since June or so businesscat2000 also allows you to run IOS apps :Tongue1:

Because the playbook is of such high quality and so cheap there are literally 1,000's of developers out there now hacking away at it.

I am not saying it is ever going to be mass market like Android is but to rule it out just because it isn't apple or android seem a bit closed minded to me...

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
As an owner of a Blackberry Playbook, my biggest beef is the battery life, which is pretty dire. Since OS2 was launched the amount of apps has greatly improved. I even found one that allows me to set up an I tunes playlist on my macbook pro and then synch it with my playbook. If its emails, video(outstanding quality), internet browsing and music. Its a bargain. Especially if your using it mainly on a hook up etc. The build quality is also good.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is the Browser any good? This might save me a few quid, Katie wants an iPad for her birthday in a couple of weeks,:Eeek: but she only needs email, browsing and facebook etc. The odd game too, this might be a good substitute.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am not saying it is ever going to be mass market like Android is but to rule it out just because it isn't apple or android seem a bit closed minded to me...

My original post was ( to the best of my knowledge ) to a non-geek average FUNster.

I said QNX, don't buy it.

Why, because, Mr Average wants a simple life, click X and it all works. "Some apps" is not good enough when for £70 upwards he can buy Android 4 and have massive choice without ifs and buts.

You say "it's cheap so thousands of developers.....", well it isn't cheap, they are, for some reason, dumping remaining stock at probably just a bit less than it's worth. Under similar conditions HP dumped their beautifully engineered tablet with their own OS and pulled out of tablets for now.

Mr Average wants to click on Google Play ( what a daft name ), select any app and it runs. Now if this Blackberry can do this I am wrong.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is the Browser any good? This might save me a few quid, Katie wants an iPad for her birthday in a couple of weeks,:Eeek: but she only needs email, browsing and facebook etc. The odd game too, this might be a good substitute.

Hi Jim the nexus may not have 64 gb memory but it is all singing and dacing latest jellybean OS and for the money £159 (from google ) or £199 rom curry's etc there is no comparison :thumb: buy her the nexus :winky:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Is the Browser any good? This might save me a few quid, [HI]Katie wants an iPad for her birthday in a couple of weeks[/HI],:Eeek: but she only needs email, browsing and facebook etc. The odd game too, this might be a good substitute.

You really did not think that through did you Jim all those kids and you still have much to learn:ROFLMAO:

do you really want to save money and NEVER hear the last of what you did wrong:ROFLMAO:

I would have thought you knew a bit about STREET CRED Jim

Eg its a bit like you saying you want an RV and someone buying you a VW camper

PLease show Katie these posts and stand well back

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
My question would be.. Does it do what I need it to do? Who cares who makes it or what OS it runs.
(snip)

That's absolutely the correct reason to buy any tool isn't it?

OK, Mr Average might be disappointed if they bought one not knowing its limitations and/or how to use it - but that ain't much different from Mr Average buying any technology without thinking it out properly in the first place ::bigsmile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I bought an iPad when they first came out - but rapidly became frustrated at what it couldn't do, or the hoops one had to jump through. Despite all the hype about the zillions of apps, most users will only use a few.

I bought a Playbook 16gb when their price dropped and immediately felt at home with it - it just worked (to coin an Apple slogan). I also found the 7" screen & weight much more convenient.

Industry standard USB connector, drag'n'drop file transfer (no iTunes, yay!), HDMI connection for external display. All the software I personally needed is already onboard. It syncs seamlessly with my Google Calendar and email accounts, websites display properly without the "no flash" black holes.

The standard software is functional & adequate - the video player has coped with every format I've thrown at it (except .flv files... but there's an app for that!).

My experience of battery life has been the equal, if not better than my iPad (which is now languishing in a drawer).

I've been so impressed and comfortable with the 16gb version, I went out & bought the 64gb one at this knock down price.

I'm just an average user - websurf, email, check my calendar, watch video, listen to music, read books, play a few games, take a few notes, look at some photos. I haven't used it to take photos or videos but I could. I haven't used the mapping or gps but I could. I haven't used the video chat or the bluetooth connectivity, but I could.

I don't actually care what os it uses, or whether an alternative is technologically better - at £129, the Playbook is a bit of a bargain for what most users are likely to use a tablet for... ::bigsmile:.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A very interesting and possibly useful thread... thank you all for your input (from both sides.)

After overspending on my portable fridge freezer and therefore postponing my purchase of a Galaxy 3, I might now have found a more affordable gadget for Father Christmas to buy me (early of course.)

Does it have a slot for a micro chip card to expand it's memory?

JJ :Cool:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I meant to say - if I can answer any questions about the Playbook from a normal user's point of view, I'll be happy to but bear in mind I probably don't make use of a fraction of it's potential

Does it have a slot for a micro chip card to expand it's memory?
Expansion slot? No! :ROFLMAO:
And tell Santa to shop early for Christmas because I can't see either the price remaining this low (only the Currys/Dixons/PCWorld group) or stock lasting.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One most question from a lazy man who hasn't bothered to check for himself...

... does it have a microphone built in (Skype calling)?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Checked for you.

According to
Broken Link Removed

It comes with a microphone which you plug into the microphone port..

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Neither of my two came with an external plug-in microphone but there is one built in - it's near the headphone jack socket.

One of the widely held objections to the Playbook is there is no "Skype" app. On hearing this potential customers seem to stomp off in a huff saying the Blackberry is rubbish :RollEyes:.
But Skype is now owned by Microsoft so perhaps one should ask them why they haven't developed an app for a competitors os?

This however, does not mean you can't video chat with a Playbook.
It has it's own Video Chat software included (but I believe that is only between Blackberrys).
Reelportal.com do cross platform video conferencing/chat.
From the Youtube videos, it seems fairly straightforward. I don't 'skype' so I don't know.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van

... does it have a microphone built in (Skype calling)?

Microphone yes. Skype App...NO! Perhaps this can be avoided by finding suitable alternative before travelling :)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
And if I read it correctly, this tablet doesn't support 3G either - so it seems a bit of a dud to me..... even at that price

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
And if I read it correctly, this tablet doesn't support 3G either - so it seems a bit of a dud to me..... even at that price

Most IPad owners choose the model without 3G. It's not needed, especially if you have dongles or phones you can connect to. I use either my phone or a dongle setup as a hotspot mifi and connect with the 'none 3G'iPad. 3G setups involve yet another data contract

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back