Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
We are on holiday in Cornwall and on our way to Dartmoor tomorrow, and we have a problem with the van. In the cab area we are getting a terrible sulphur smell. We have had the batteries checked and have been told they are fine. We have been told it could be the catalytic converter. Any ideas? Is there anywhere in this area where we can take the van to be checked over? The smell is becoming unbearable and embarassing :Blush:
Also, we are concerned that to carry on driving it may damage something further or be detrimental to our health. Please help :Sad:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sounds like the CAT if batteries are ok and not overcharging... google a local exhaust / mot garage they should be able to check it out.....

be warned CATs are expensive..:Sad:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Got to be the Cat, I've never had a sulphur smell from batteries but every time a car is in our workshop for a Cat change that is the rotten eggs smell of sulphur.

......... Geez Chris I can smell it from here, no wonder you're embarrassed.
:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks for your replies. Luckily the van is still under warranty.

Popeye - When you have vans in your garage, how long does it to take to change and how much (just incase we have to claim it back)?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Just a warning on batteries, I have had a battery literally explode under a bonnet once, it destroyed the battery, and put a dent in the bonnet as well.

Craig

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you shouldn't be able to smell the cat converter when driving...even a new one....the car behind you gets that pleasure. :Eeek:

batteries, on the other hand, are generally inside the vans bodywork or under the bonnet and the fumes have nowhere to go.

I would get a second opinion on the battery condition.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
you shouldn't be able to smell the cat converter when driving...even a new one....the car behind you gets that pleasure. :Eeek:

batteries, on the other hand, are generally inside the vans bodywork or under the bonnet and the fumes have nowhere to go.

I would get a second opinion on the battery condition.

I have had two work vans where the slave battery
Has gassed on both occasions it was unpleasant in the cab
Both batteries were housed under the drivers seat

Both were transit vans
The slave battery was the culprit both times it was also
The battery that you could see from the front of the seat
and both times they were very hot
So maybe when you get the smell fell the batteries and see if they are hot:thumb:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi I agree with papajohn. get the batterys checked before you drive any distance. Q/ are you in the RAC or AA ?. Get them to call before you leave the camp site
PK :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The difference in smell between a gassing battery and a buggered Cat is humongous.

A gassing battery is a bloody awful smell but could not be described as Sulphur surely.:Doh:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thanks for your replies. Luckily the van is still under warranty.

Popeye - When you have vans in your garage, [HI]how long does it to take to change and how much[/HI] (just incase we have to claim it back)?

It varies between 400 - 700 depending on model. VW have always been dear.

I'm not on the tools these days so might be a bit out of touch. Should be able to change it inside a couple of hours.
:thumb:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks for all your replies.

We are home now and the fault was ........................ drum roll ...............battery :clap:
Apparently our van hasnt got a catalytic converter because of its age. You are such a knowledgable bunch :notworthy::notworthy:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The difference in smell between a gassing battery and a buggered Cat is humongous.

A gassing battery is a bloody awful smell but could not be described as Sulphur surely.:Doh:
hydrogen sulfide is released from a cooking battery and smells like rotten eggs.

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
hydrogen sulfide is released from a cooking battery and smells like rotten eggs.

I agree.

Although I thought that in a MH the battery had to be fitted in a separate compartment so any gasses produced by the battery vented out side the van to reduce the risk of an explosion etc.

The battery manufacturer will always recommend that batteries are charged in a well ventilated area which a MH is not.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11

Apologies, I thought it was called sulpher, didnt want to post 'farty' smell :ROFLMAO: Just goes to show even with ill given info you still got the advice right :thumb:

The battery is located under the drivers seat so no special compartment for us. What we did notice was even after the battery was replaced it took a while for the smell to dissipate. When we dropped the onboard waste water the smell was extremely strong so the smell appears to have got into other parts.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Just a note of warning. Our van is under a years warranty and when touring we didnt take the paperwork with us. On returning home and phoning the company they will not pay out because we didnt run the repair past them so in future we should carry on driving and gassing ourselves, not knowing if we are doing any damage to our health or futher damage to the van or we could remember to take the policy docs with us :Doh:

Lesson learned I suppose :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back