Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hi,

Waiting for delivery of a new E560 and wondered just what sort of mileage I can expect from it. Having towed a van and only hit 22/23 M.P.G do you tink it will be better or worse.:cry-smile:

Rgds
Bill

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Slightly better maybe. I get 22-23 out of my 7 year old E745 towing a small car on an A frame. I normally keep between 55-60mph especially when towing.

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
E560

Hi,

Waiting for delivery of a new E560 and wondered just what sort of mileage I can expect from it. Having towed a van and only hit 22/23 M.P.G do you tink it will be better or worse.:cry-smile:

Rgds HI BILL,
.WAITING FOR A NEW E560 MY SELF,I AM TOLD THEY ARE VERY GOOD FUEL WISE.THERE IS A CHAP ON CALLED BESSY 560 HAS ONE AND SWEARS BY IT. REGARDS BLACKIE

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the info, I'll keep a log and see how I get on though our first trip is only about 400 miles.

Rgds
Bill

Bessie560

Free Member
Sep 28, 2007
Funster No
hi

You lucky person!
Basically it depends on your right foot! I've got size 12 feet and cannot manage the accelerator with shoes on so tend to be very light! I've put the speedo alarm on 60 mph so it beeps whenever i go over that. If you keep it down to 2000 to 2500 revs you will get around 30 mpg. If you are in a hurry it can drop to very low 20's mpg.
8 months in I can't fault it!
Barry

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Size 12 Feet!

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the info. I am usually pretty light footed and drive smoothly so that helps the mileage. My sons have size 12 and 13 feet so I guess they won't be driving it for a while!

I'll post again once I have a grip on the consumption

Many thanks
Bill

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
After first outing managed 26 mpg but this is only based on one fill, see how she goes in future.

Rgds
WillH

iain4702

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
East Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I picked up my new E560 0n 230708 and have now done 0ver 1500 mls.and spent 21nights mostly wild camping in Scotland.
according to computer have been getting 28 to 29 mpg which I am pleased with as my previous vans got no better than 23 to 24
However am having problems with my control panel as water tanks and battery warning buzzers not working despite being activated.Any help out there?
Regards Iain

alnshaz

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
south yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
:Smile:

hi all,
had our 560 since december n with 4k miles on the clock its averaging 28.9 mpg.i did manage to get that to dizzy 34.7 during our trip to france this summer , but drove really steady all the way down.we also kept away from the toll roads going which saved us approx 58 euro's.
had no problems with the control panel other than it showing full when empty.just gave it a good flush through and it sorted itself.

:thumb: alan

M

Mick.Baxter

Deleted User
Hi there we have a Bess 560 and we r getting 32 mpg . We have just come back from Oban in Scotland and done 800 miles everything OK we have had problems with the battery drain and the truma heating system and the control panel over the door. We do not know how to work it, it is a bit head scratching all the best keep in touch mick.:Smile:

M

Mick.Baxter

Deleted User
Blackie

have had problems with the battery drain and the truma heating system and the control panel over the door. We do not know how to work it, it is a bit head scratching all the best keep in touch mick.:Smile:

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Is this real figures measuring the amount you put in at each fill up in Litres or are you guys just going by your on board computers and trusting what theyre telling you. Like I said earlier I get 22-23 out of our 7 year old Bessacarr 745 with the 2.8 TD engine, thats travelling at 55-60mph on runs towing a small car on an A frame. Thats checking actual amount of fuel put in at each fill up not just relying on an onboard computer.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Do Bessacar use Schaudt control panels as many Euro manufacturers seem to? If so, help may be at hand as the instructions are available out there- let us know if you have a manufacturers name; also, your dealer should have shown you how to use the panel if the van is a recent dealer purchase - give them a call and ask for help!!

Laurie

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We've over 7000 miles in now and I calculate that my consumption is just under 29 mpg. I have found that the computer is really quite accurate which does surprise me, I am a retired engineer and metering small amounts of fluids was notoriously difficult to achieve with any degree of accuracy in a system that has varying demand.

On the other points raised on this thread:-

The low and high level alarms for water and waste respectively do work, they just don't make a big fuss. The panel has to be switched on and when either of the tanks reaches its set point a one second bleep issues from the panel and it swiches to the tank level display. It remains on this display until you select a different one.

Battery drain has not been a problem for us, when the van is laid up, as at present, I plug into the mains and run the van on the habitation battery for one week and then switch to the cab battery. As the cab battery charges when in use this means I can always be sure of a start after lay-up. Nearly got caught out once so decided to use this method.

The control panel is pf Italian manufacture, I think, supplied instructions are very brief. I just had a real go at it and pressed every button in every combination to see what happed. To reduce battery drain when not plugged in, when not using the van, press the on/off button for three seconds and this cuts drain to the minimum.

The Truma heater, absolutely fantastic when you have learned how to live with it and use the controls. Only had one problem so far, lost the supply, i.e. no lights on the control knob. Stripped out all the electrics I could find, nothing wrong, boxed it up again and it worked. Still none the wiser. We find from cold, on electric, it takes 40 minutes to heat the water tank, using gas and/or electric for hot water and heating speeds things up and can really raise the temperature regardless of outside. We have spent a night at -5 C in a gale and have woken up sweating in the middle of the night.

So far so good. Look forward to any comments.

Rgds Bill:thumb:

Marander

Free Member
Jan 7, 2010
East Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Hello,

We have recently taken charge of an 18-month old 560 and are very pleased with it. We've done just over 1000 miles in it so far and appear to be getting about 30 miles to the gallon, which we think is very satisfactory.

One problem we have just had is the fluorescent light over the cooker has failed - we first got wind of it by a plasticy-burning smell - I think the control circuit has burnt out. The unit says it is an SCS 13415, 12V/13W but I can't find anything like that on the internet - can anyone help us, please?

We have also had a bit of a problem with battery drain - after 2 days on our driveway without any power hook-up the traction battery dropped to less than 8 volts! - this prevented the central locking working and obviously we couldn't start the vehicle. Re-charging the battery overcame the problems but we now ensure that we keep the 'van connected to the mains and regularly swap the charger between leisure and traction batteries.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi All,
Would agree that you can expect fuel consumption in the region of twenty eight to thirty one mpg.
As regards battery drain, on my first 560 I became aware that on occasions the reversing camera/lcd display would switch on when turning off the engine (strange), as a result I always checked it was off before parking up.
The control panel has now been updated on the latest models, the previous panel was way to over engineered/complicated the new one is perfect.
::bigsmile:

Mike Rickshaw

Free Member
Jan 22, 2010
Porthcawl, south Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
E560 economy

Hi Bill,

Our 2008 Bessacarr E560 did 30 mpg during 18 months of touring Europe. We cruised at speeds usually between 55-60 mph on suitable roads. Mostly kept the rev. counter at or below 2000 rpm.

The 2.3litre engine loves to trundle allong at 30- 40 mph at which time the computer shows up to 35+ mpg.

Enjoy happy motoring,

Mike Rickshaw

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Mike,

Getting the same figures as you, if I am gentle! It is a great van and though we've had ours nearly 2 years only 9.5k on the clock so far.

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying the engine is perfecttly matched to the van, driving is for once a pleasure and there is plenty of power to get you moving briskly should you need it.

Once drove from the New Forest to home, about 450 miles, in one stretch up the M6. Sat at 70 all the way and still managed 27.5, this after a trip to France so we had more than a couple of bottles of wine on board.

Rgds
Bill

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We have an Ace Airstream 680FB which apart from the badging is the same as the Bessy 560 out of the same workshop " Swift Built "we bought ours last June with 5000k on clock after 3 trips to France it has now done 8700k the previous owner had the engine chipped by Fiat and he said towing a car on A-Frame he returned 28mpg touring to Spain and Switzerland as we have no where to rush to I try to maintain 2000revs and find we are getting 34mpg on av this is by calculating fuel to milage not using the onboard commputer.

bobh

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Powys
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Several Years
Mileage

HI I have a 560 and just got back from France with an average of 27.1
to the gallon:thumb: