Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I lived near Thurso for 14 years and would suggest you head for anywhere along the north coast. There is a lovely little site at John o Groats right beside the Pentland Firth. From there you can also take the ferry for a day trip to Orkney which is well worth doing . The ferry is just beside the camp site.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

milesofsmiles

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 08/12
I lived near Thurso for 14 years and would suggest you head for anywhere along the north coast. There is a lovely little site at John o Groats right beside the Pentland Firth. From there you can also take the ferry for a day trip to Orkney which is well worth doing . The ferry is just beside the camp site.

Is there a "better" time of year to increase chances of seeing anything?

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This most fantastic of light shows can be seen easier the farther North you travel. So Canada and Norway and anywhere inside the Arctic circle are favourites.

To see it from the very Northernmost coast of Scotland then you would best be advised to travel when periods of High pressure are about to occur. Right now would not be the best time, just keep your eyes on any good synoptic chart.......Griff :thumb:

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
The Lights are dependant on sun-spot activity, which peaks on an 11-year cycle, and 2012-2013 should be a good time for viewing. There has already been some activity this year, but viewing is impossible given the length of summer days in the far north. Autumn onwards, and your chances improve.
You can sign up to receive e-mail alerts on the Aurorawatch website already mentioned. If you receive one of their red alerts - time to head north - though it is not always necessary. Not so long ago they had superb displays in East Anglia. Just go and look for a dark place if you can find one, preferably a high spot, with a clear view north.

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
and tell us all when and where you're going to be. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Upvote 0

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Heading to N Scotland in mid October so may see some of you there. It would be a bonus to see the lights. Went to Iceland a few years ago...not a flicker! But did once see them in East Yorkshire while working nights.
Cheers MM

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, the further north you can go the better chance of seing them. but its really hit and miss. have seen them a few times in Northen Norway, it seems that the ideal conditions are; that you have 2 / 3 days of clear crisp cold nights, the colder it is appears to make a bigger / more colourfull display. but nothing is for certain with the northern lights.

in 7 winters inside the Arctic cirle i saw them 4 times...

good luck:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
From Spacewatch

CHANCE OF STORMS TODAY: A coronal mass ejection (CME) propelled toward Earth by a filament eruption on August 31st is due to arrive later today. NOAA forecasters estimate a 40% chance of strong geomagnetic storms around the poles and a 10% chance of storms at mid-latitudes on Sept. 3rd. Aurora alerts:thumb:

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
A couple of websites have already been mentioned, but this one below hasn't. It's one of two I use to try and predict activity (the other one being Aurorawatch) Though based in Alaska it gives you a choice of maps - just select the European one, and it gives you an idea of how far south the Aurora is likely to extend.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Europe/2012/09/02

Upvote 0

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
CME IMPACT: As expected, a coronal mass ejection (CME) hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 3rd at approximately 1200 UT (5 am PDT). The impact induced measurable ground currents in the soil of northern Scandinavia and sparked bright auroras around the Arctic Circle. At the time this alert is being issued, a moderately strong (Kp=6) geomagnetic storm is underway.

Check http://spaceweather.com for photos and updates

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
have just returned from local camera club which showed an AV of the Northen Lights. most were taken in Norway but there were some taken at Thurso & also at Hopeman on the Moray Firth.
To see the lights you need to watch the sites mentioned for activity warnings and then find a location with NO street lights and prepair yourself for a long wait (up to 5 hours in the early hours is noy uncommon) the further North in the UK the better but all is dependent on weather conditions on the night

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paddynsheena

Free Member
Aug 1, 2012
fife
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Im a newbe
I have read that at John O Groats november to february between 10pm and 3am good times
paddy

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Yes paddy that is a good time but all weather dependant ( if heavy snow then could be difficult to get to Thurso) if it was me i would aim for end Nov early Dec and hope for the best
Ron

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Yes paddy that is a good time but all weather dependant ( if heavy snow then could be difficult to get to Thurso) if it was me i would aim for end Nov early Dec and hope for the best
Ron

But don't forget - the weather is only secondary. The lights will only be visible IF there is solar activity. Otherwise you simply won't see anything. You need to check before you go anywhere. At best, these conditions will only occur in UK a few days a year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

paddynsheena

Free Member
Aug 1, 2012
fife
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Im a newbe
thanks to those who have contributed to the discussion. I have registerd for early warning alert ,so will wait and see. If i get more on the potrential for sightng will post it on the is forum and maybe a meet can be arranged. Meantime if anyone else gets an alert please let me know
kind regards
paddynsheena

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back