SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, just read about this on the Wildcamping web site , i have signed it and thought there may be members out there that would be interested in looking at it , as others have said it could have been beefed up a bit but the idea is there .

Motorhome Freedom

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We would like to petition the government to provide overnight and resting place facilities specifically for motorhomes the like of which are to be found in such countries as Germany,France,Italy,Spain etc.Or to place the onus to provide on the local authority

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Here's the petition page.

Short and sweet but pretty futile in today's climate. But I've signed.

How many motorhomes are there anyway ?

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
For what it is worth, I've signed. Agree with Brian, futile in the extreme!

Trying not to be negative, and failing

Steve.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Perhaps if the goverment took a bit of notice, it might reverse the flow of
motorhomes crossing the channel, and put some much needed
funds into our own tourist economy!:Smile:

regards
Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It will never happen.
Councils too scared of the Itinerants moving in.

Not at all John. When we were talking to Redcar & Cleveland Council about facilities at Guisborough that question was raised. It was quickly pointed out that the car park in question had been there for decades and there had been no problems.

All these petitions gain the support of well under 1000 people, less than 1% of those needed for a petition to even move on to the discussion stage. Even fewer (indeed, far fewer) people are actually willing to speak to their local council about provision of facilities.

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not at all John. When we were talking to Redcar & Cleveland Council about facilities at Guisborough that question was raised. It was quickly pointed out that the car park in question had been there for decades and there had been no problems.

All these petitions gain the support of well under 1000 people, less than 1% of those needed for a petition to even move on to the discussion stage. Even fewer (indeed, far fewer) people are actually willing to speak to their local council about provision of facilities.

Funnily enough I am looking at puting this topic forward to our councillors at our next Community Council meeting and ask them to take it to full council. I have pictures of other palces , car parks in the UK, that have made provision and it seems to work. Any info from anyone to supprt this would be welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I signed this but its a waste of time unless we can get 100000+ signatures.

I have met people from other countries who do not come to britain because they know that parking, as well as wildcamping, is so dificult here for motorhomes. So it costs us in tourism, But our roads are so busy maybe we don't want more???

In the meantime I will continue my trips to Europe at every opportunity where life for motorhomes is so much easier.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Get used to it! IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! Sign your fifth morgage up for it' IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN!

WHY?

Cause there are to many Councils remembering Dale Farm! There is always a few Tossers! that spoil it for the rest! It is always the rest that suffer! Political Correctness has emasculated this country! Diversity! and "Multiculturism"has reared it's ugly head.
Councils are running scared, declare an area open, a load of Gypos move in, Bingo! Dale Farm, all over again

Sign up by all means! There's more chance of Calamity Clegg marrying the Princess Royal than this happening

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as it is the germans and dutch favour the west country ., there was a item on oiur local news the other day saying how they are coming here in greater amounts than ev er. i can say i noticed this staret about 8 years ago.
but sign the thing . my mate set it up while he was actually parked on my drive . his wife is german . they wilded all over the west country . .there is no problem in the uk .loads of places to park but it would be nice just to make them official.
certainly our village gets loads of foreign visitors . they come to see the roche rock. bet you have never heard of it ., they have ,.
i was at a council meeting to do with the parking at marazion .the local council dont seem to object to the parking so long as the rubbish and waste is disposed of properly . lets not knock all councils .

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have met people from other countries who do not come to britain because they know that parking, as well as wildcamping, is so dificult here for motorhomes. [HI]So it costs us in tourism[/HI], But our roads are so busy maybe we don't want more???
In the meantime I will continue my trips to Europe at every opportunity where life for motorhomes is so much easier.
It is a common belief that, Motorhomers who don't stay on official sites, tend not to put much into the local economy. They are self sufficient. They bring everything with them, and sometimes leave something behind.
Now staying on an official site keeps everyone happy, including the huge majority of non motorhomers in this country. Sad but true.:thumb:
Last time this was discussed it was suggested that we have a much better system than Aires in CLs.

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

I have met people from other countries who do not come to britain because they know that parking, as well as wildcamping, is so dificult here for motorhomes. So it costs us in tourism, But our roads are so busy maybe we don't want more???

We've just signed up as well, but with only 523 signatures on it at the mo, there's a very long way to go:Sad:
Can't see it happening in our lifetime sadly, we had enough problems trying to get parked in Aldi last week:roflmto:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
You're supposed to use the car park not the shop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

He he!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The annoying thing was, there were two people sitting watching in their cars whilst we tried to find a place to park. Ten minutes later they moved off and we got a spot in the corner, we must have arrived at the wrong time:Doh:
Sainsburys car park is even worse:RollEyes:
Margaret::bigsmile:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
It is a common belief that, Motorhomers who don't stay on official sites, tend not to put much into the local economy. They are self sufficient. They bring everything with them, and sometimes leave something behind.
Now staying on an official site keeps everyone happy, including the huge majority of non motorhomers in this country. Sad but true.:thumb:
Last time this was discussed it was suggested that we have a much better system than Aires in CLs.

Even if we bring it with us we bought it in the Uk! Fuel, food, any holiday money not spent in a French, Spanish or other economy goes towards supporting our own in my opinion.

As for leaving things behind, dont think that applies to true respectful motorhome owners,of which I consider myself and most others on this forum to be.
Far more rubbish left behind by your average holiday maker, and they are staying in hotels, guest houses and static caravans. Dont see the councils chasing these people away though.

regards
Steve:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Even if we bring it with us we bought it in the Uk! Fuel, food, any holiday money not spent in a French, Spanish or other economy goes towards supporting our own in my opinion.

As for leaving things behind, dont think that applies to true respectful motorhome owners,of which I consider myself and most others on this forum to be.
Far more rubbish left behind by your average holiday maker, and they are staying in hotels, guest houses and static caravans. Dont see the councils chasing these people away though.

regards

Undoubtedly true, as is the fact that day trippers who take a picnic rather than use cafes/restaurants do not attract criticism for doing so. Unfortunately the problem, as with other things, is often a matter of perception. General litterbugs and day trippers tend to be individually unseen whilst a big white box is more obvious, especially if surrounded by camping paraphernalia or in one place for some time.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Even if we bring it with us we bought it in the Uk! Fuel, food, any holiday money [HI]not spent in a French, Spanish or other economy goes towards supporting our own in my opinion[/HI].

Far more rubbish left behind by your average holiday maker, and they are staying in hotels, guest houses and static caravans. [HI]Dont see the councils chasing these people away though.[/HI]
regards
Are you suggesting that uk Aires would stop motor home travel abroad, I doubt it somehow.:whatthe:

Now even if average holiday makers left some litter, why would the council chase them away. They are the life and blood of all holiday towns. Unlike campers using free water, free waste disposal and free parking. Think about it who would you welcome to your town.:Cool:

san846

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
durham
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Have signed and being an optimist I'm sure the government will take immediate action on this one :))

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Are you suggesting that uk Aires would stop motor home travel abroad, I doubt it somehow.:whatthe:

Now even if average holiday makers left some litter, why would the council chase them away. They are the life and blood of all holiday towns. Unlike campers using free water, free waste disposal and free parking. Think about it who would you welcome to your town.:Cool:

1) No, but every little helps.

2) Who mentioned free, though if the small French towns and villages, can do it
maybe so could ours.

3) As for rubbish our streets are a disgrace, we should all be ashamed of the standards
of todays generation, and local authorities who are well paid from our rates system,
have a lot to answer for, as to there poor upkeep.
Charges for use of any aires provided would more than cover provision of a bin.

regards

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
So what special magic have the local councils at Machynlleth and Canterbury invoked to permit campers to park overnight in corners of existing Car Parks? Why is that so bloody difficult for other councils?

I reckon to reverse the flow of MH owners over the Channel you don't just need Aires, you need:

Lower diesel prices
Lower beer and wine prices
An extensive uncluttered road network
A sense of civic pride in most of the places you stop in, with friendly Police Municipale to keep an eye on things
Decent weather
National Police with big boots and sidearms

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i think the weather is really the draw abroad.
plus the spirit of adventure , but if it was a bit warmer drier here there are lots to be had in the uk. gotta be cheaper to stay here than go away . but rain rain go away ,come back another day. gets boring after awhile.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
i think the weather is really the draw abroad.
plus the spirit of adventure , but if it was a bit warmer drier here there are lots to be had in the uk. gotta be cheaper to stay here than go away . but rain rain go away ,come back another day. gets boring after awhile.
I agree but having a dinky camper for some time has lead me to a different type of camping, planes boats and camper. 20k miles a year in the camper with a few flights to the sun is in my mind the way to go. Why have a huge beast parked up for 50% of the year when you could be exploring our lovely country and still have an inexpensive trip to the med in the van whenever you like.
If big/huge or even huger motorhomes are so good, why are they parked up on the drive for so many months each year. Don't make any sense to me.:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Charges for use of any aires provided would more than cover provision of a bin.(snip)
But wouldn't make ignorant people use them :Smile:

So what special magic have the local councils at Machynlleth and Canterbury invoked to permit campers to park overnight in corners of existing Car Parks? Why is that so bloody difficult for other councils?
It isn't difficult and there is no special magic available to these two councils or the others which allow overnighting.

What is missing is somebody to make a constructive (i.e. non-whinging/complaining) approach to the other councils to show them what they are potentially missing. See Broken Link Removed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buttons . i do have a small camper here its a bongo. and a vw t25 . i do use them also pull a teardrop caravan sometimes . dont have all my eggs in one basket .
yes we can fly away do that as well if want to. but now i like getting away in the winter in my truck having an adventure . have done it for years in vw,s . not enough room . gets a bit of a nuisance after a few months . i have alkways liked camping m,homing .did a few years in the 70,s hoteling it and a few in the 90,s didnt really like it .
dont know where i,m off to this year but hopefully it will be warmer and drier than uk. i hope . i will agree that there are places that only small campers can get to . even transits can be too wide down here the vw t2 is possibly the ultimate camper there are others .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
hi buttons . i do have a small camper here its a bongo. and a vw t25 . i do use them also pull a teardrop caravan sometimes . dont have all my eggs in one basket .
yes we can fly away do that as well if want to. but now i like getting away in the winter in my truck having an adventure . have done it for years in vw,s . not enough room . gets a bit of a nuisance after a few months . i have alkways liked camping m,homing .did a few years in the 70,s hoteling it and a few in the 90,s didnt really like it .
dont know where i,m off to this year but hopefully it will be warmer and drier than uk. i hope . i will agree that there are places that only small campers can get to . even transits can be too wide down here the vw t2 is possibly the ultimate camper there are others .
I think your set up is fantastic, if I were in a different position I could think of nothing better, perhaps I am just a tad jealous but I see so many huge RVs and motorhomes in my travels that sit for months at a time. It is an expensive item just to have sitting on your driveway, but it is their choice.
I think I have gone off on a bit of a tangent from the thread but but I'm sure I could find a connection if asked:winky::Blush:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buttons heres one for you to build on Link Removed
it will maker a nice start for someone . cant get cheaper surely. i payed 1650 quid for my vw lt and trailer 12 yrs ago. was all converted and on the road for about 7 grand . cheap i reckon .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back