Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Counting down to our trip to France on Sunday for 3 weeks. I' ve got some home cooked frozen meals in the freezer ready to go into our little van freezer. Would love to be given some new ideas for easy one pan/pot meals I could serve while away.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi go and buy a pressure cooker .recipes usually come with them .one pan less steam in the van . dont have to cook outside .veg , or meat ,or fish . even cakes . best not cook the cakes with the rest though .
i find a 3 litre one is ideal for twp persons . cooks really quick saves gas .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Pasta is always an easy one and you can make up a sauce to throw in so no need to dirty second pot

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
One Pot Cooking

The best piece of kitchen equipment I have ever bought for the van is this, the Remoska

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/remoska?intcmp=INTSRCH:remoska

Easy to use and only uses minimal electric, very light and easy to clean much easier than putting on an oven, especially for two! :thumb:

You can even buy a cookbook for it. Chops & chicken cook beautifully.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Salmon cooked on a bed of veg, which we usually do in the oven but could be cooked on the hob.
Mixture of veg inc. potatoes all cut to about the same size cooked in a little oil or butter (go on your on holiday), get them well browned, add salt and pepper, some fresh herbs, bit of spice if you fancy it, chillies it you are after something hot.
When the veg are about done put the salmon on top drizzle with balsamic cover and leave to steam for about 15 - 20 minutes. Check the fish is done and voilà.
You could do this with any fish including shell fish.
Low in calories if you don't use too much oil.
:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Pasta is always an easy one and you can make up a sauce to throw in so no need to dirty second pot

I always take a ready made spag sauce with me but have NEVER thought to bung it in the same pan as the spaghetti when it's cooked to save washing up. Good idea, thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
The best piece of kitchen equipment I have ever bought for the van is this, the Remoska

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/remoska?intcmp=INTSRCH:remoska

Easy to use and only uses minimal electric, very light and easy to clean much easier than putting on an oven, especially for two! :thumb:

You can even buy a cookbook for it. Chops & chicken cook beautifully.

They sound very good but we usually avoid electricity when we're away. Have lots of ways of storing it for general use but not for cooking. But thank you. Could use one at home.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Here's one that we do regularly both in the 'van and at home:

Chop on onion, red/yellow pepper, some chilli (if liked), some tomatoes (tinned or fresh) and a couple of cloves of garlic and fry gently in some olive oil until soft. Season with black pepper.

Make a well in the centre of the vegetables and drop in a whole block of feta cheese. Cover the pan and cook gently until the cheese is soft and gooey.

Eat with crusty bread and wash down with plenty of vino :Smile:

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Weve tryed many things through caravaning then onto the motor home, to be honest the things I use the most are the Cadac safari although it looks small is plenty for two it comes with all sorts of bits for stir frys, BBQ and now even has a roasting tray.

That said of course if the weathers not to good that becomes a problem, so we invested in the double skillet which can be used for pans, stove oven etc. Basically chuck your meet in the bottom and cook ya veg on top

http://www.doubleskillet.com/

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Weve tryed many things through caravaning then onto the motor home, to be honest the things I use the most are the Cadac safari although it looks small is plenty for two it comes with all sorts of bits for stir frys, BBQ and now even has a roasting tray.

That said of course if the weathers not to good that becomes a problem, so we invested in the double skillet which can be used for pans, stove oven etc. Basically chuck your meet in the bottom and cook ya veg on top

http://www.doubleskillet.com/

I've recently invested in a double skillet but was disappointed in the recipe book I purchased separately - seemed to be mostly frying pan meals but it';s going to be a very useful gadget.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
The skillet is certainly an item to try different things with, I didn't buy the recipe book but sounds like it would have been a waste

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
double skillet

The skillet is certainly an item to try different things with, I didn't buy the recipe book but sounds like it would have been a waste

It would definitely have been a waste - £7.50 incl P&P - just a paper book with very little new in it.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I can honestly say I can't think of anything that I have not been able to do with my skillet, been using it for 10 years now (its a bit battered) but cooked everything from Roast Lamb joints and all the veg.

Casseroles of every description, use the diffuser you can heat pies make toasties or bake a cake.

Get it warm first keep the heat low, experiment, and it makes brilliant jacket potatoes.

If you type skillet into the search engine there is lots of info on them there.

Have a great holiday.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Beans on toast i am actually an expert at making this delightful dish :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know about this one pan stuff. I don't do the cooking but I know we have several pans in the van*. I do the washing up so the cook (SWMBO) doesn't mind making several dirty.

* From direct knowledge 4 saucepans, two frying pans, 1 wok, a 3 tier steamer (electric) and several oven dishes/casseroles. We don't need a double skillet as well :Doh:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
June - don't worry too much about it :winky:

By the time you've snacked all day on the bread and cheese, saussison and sea-food (to say nothing of the patisserie :thumb:) you're really not going to be worrying about cooking meals

It's warm over there for goodness sake and you're on holiday! ::bigsmile:

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
gourmet recipe

My son ,26, recently left home into a flat with a pal of his.Even though he's my flesh and blood but he is a total slob in the kitchen.I was highly amused when he told me his disgust at his flatmate's culinary skills.
Take 1 packet of frozen veg- any mixture will do pour into pan
Add hot water from tap.Leave till defrosted,
Pour away excess water,add baked beans from can and eat with a clean spoon.(if available)

It only requires 1 pan.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
I don't know about this one pan stuff. I don't do the cooking but I know we have several pans in the van*. I do the washing up so the cook (SWMBO) doesn't mind making several dirty.

* From direct knowledge 4 saucepans, two frying pans, 1 wok, a 3 tier steamer (electric) and several oven dishes/casseroles. We don't need a double skillet as well :Doh:

I think your MH must be a lot bigger than ours! Why are you doing the washing up. You must have room for a live-in maid!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think your MH must be a lot bigger than ours! Why are you doing the washing up. You must have room for a live-in maid!

We removed the microwave (which we very rarely used) to make way for all this clutter. It probably doesn't weigh as much either.
We do have a spare bed though so anyone know a live in maid who doesn't want paying and will wear one of those black and white uniforms with fish net stockings. (Must go and have a cold shower :roflmto:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back