Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just returned from a 13 night trip up to Scotland and it was everything I thought it would be and more.Exactly why I've wanted a Motorhome all these years,parked up right on the beach,freshly caught mackerel,cooking over a fire of driftwood that the kids collected.
Spent the first night after a seven hour drive on the banks of loch Lomond then up early and off to catch the ferry from Oban to Mull.Weather was half decent and views to die for.Once on Mull we headed straight to Tobermory or as the kids call it Ballamory,fish and chips on the front a quick look round then off to find a place of mythical status called Calgary Bay.I had read a few things about this place on various websites and had hoped it would live up to its reputation ,it did its a beaut of a place white sand and crystal clear water,wouldn't look out of place in the Caribbean .Woke up to the screech of an eagle and saw it flying around thr cliffs,we saw these magnificent birds 3 more times on our visit both sea and golden.
Also stopped at Fidden farm the only campsite used on our trip weather great,kids in sea in bikinis,again great beach stunning scenery.Has a website.
Final stop on Mull was at Moy Castle parked on the beach with a big fire and a cracking BBQ .
Next island to be visited was the Isle of Bute where my mum is from a lovely little island much smaller than Mull but just about the easiest to get to,around 40 mins from Glasgow to ferry.A different spot every night no other campers around.Our favourite spots being Ettrick bay and St Ninnians bay .The latter having great views across to Arran and the sleeping warrior,and an incredible number of sea trout jumping in the bay.
In total we did 1100 miles and the van did not miss a beat.the solar pannels had the batteries fully charged by mid morning every day(thanks Andyman) if the truth be known I didnt want to come home.
We have got some cracking pictures on our I pad but mrs Vlad can't figure out how get them onto thread,I'm a technophobe so no help.If anyone out there could talk her through it we would be grateful .

Here's to freedom adventure and fun.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Good to see someone extolling the virtues of Scotland for a change. Often it's all about midges and rain but the truth is there's nowhere to beat it if you can just get the weather!:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Vlad

Glad you enjoyed our beautiful country, its a great place in all weathers but if you get it dry its stunning. We are actually thinking of going to Bute soon as i used to holiday there as a child all the way from Gllasgow:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Actually going to isle of Cumbrae next weekend to run round it another stunning place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My beautifully country too

I was born in Glasgow then lived in Kirkintilloch and lenzie untill the age of 8 however go to Rothesay where my mums from a lot .Best spot to camp is the Straad great views of Arren

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On the uploading of pictures side of things you need to get the photobucket app on your iPad. You can then transfer photos from your iPad onto photobucket and then from photobucket onto a thread.

It's quite easy - it must be if I could do it:thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Intending to go to Scotland in a few weeks time. Your post will be very useful. It would be lovely if we had the sort of weather you experienced. I hope you left some of it there! ::bigsmile:

Wyn

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Vlad, how did you know that there were going to be fab spots for you to stop for the night? did you subscribe to the wildcamping forum? (£15 :Eeek:) I fancy trying the wild camping bit but don't want to have to end up in a supermarket car park. :Sad:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wild camping spots

Hi Jazzbow,I know the Isle of Bute very well as I have family there and have been on holiday more times than I can remember,so I basically knew where I was going to stay.Im new to motor homing so to get some idea of camping etiquette I joined this site,I also looked on the wild camping website however read only never joined.
The isle of Mull was new to me but it is a very big island and sparsely populated,it's all single track road and the sections along the coast have tons of areas to pull of and let the kids out to play for the day.We basically just stopped for the night .At Calgary bay it was the beach car park we stayed on,that night there were several other vans some of which turned up late.Most got up and were gone before the locals turned up to walk dogs etc.We talked to the man in the tourist office and he told us wild camping is tolerated on the island if done responsibly.
As a general rule of thumb if it feels good go for it ,look out for other vans always a telltale sign it's ok.As I said to the wife the worst that could happen is you get asked to move,but we never did.Try it and I bet u love it most of the time it's just you and mother nature.Bliss:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We were well advised to use biological liquid in toilett cassette,so contents were disposed of in public loos

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Motohoming paradise

Let's hope none of them were connected to a septic tank .

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Link Removed

I am sorry but must disagree . See info for camp site above. I have also had a septic tank for the last 20 years both in Cornwall and here in France.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On most of the western isles it's either straight out to sea or a cess pit. My point being that the odd toilet cassette is in the grand scale of things neither here nor there .All toilets used had toilret blocks in urinals and smelt of bleach not piss,I think your being picky!

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
Vlad, how did you know that there were going to be fab spots for you to stop for the night? did you subscribe to the wildcamping forum? (£15 :Eeek:) I fancy trying the wild camping bit but don't want to have to end up in a supermarket car park. :Sad:
we did 3 weeks over the snowy Christmas 2010 around Arisaig and Skye. We actually headed for a CL but it was frozen over. Small car park 50 yards away right by the sea Wonderful! We had times in Forestry commission carparks - they always seem great - and times in other pull ins. There are very few supermarket carparks out there in those most beautiful wilds - you'll find them much harder to find than suitable safe and beautiful stopping places. We carry various books and resources for campsites as back up and we have the wildcamping POI on Autoroute but the times we have used those are minimal. The trick of wild camping is to keep flexible, eyes open and stop early!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back