camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
Can anyone advise me whether I'd be better with a smartphone or a dongle for my pc.
I don't make lots of calls -maybe 10 texts a week but I do like the idea of being able to communicate by email when I travel and I like the access to maps on my laptop.I know I can download maps but I prefer things to be interactive.
Is this enough info?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used a phone for many years, going back to when I had a Psion 5MX over 10 years ago. Either cable attached or using infra red/bluetooth, whatever the devices were capable of.

When dongles came out we got one but since moved to MiFi as we sometimes use two devices at a time.

One consideration with phones is whether your contract allows tethering.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone advise me whether I'd be better with a smartphone or a dongle for my pc.
I don't make lots of calls -maybe 10 texts a week but I do like the idea of being able to communicate by email when I travel and I like the access to maps on my laptop.I know I can download maps but I prefer things to be interactive.
Is this enough info?

Interactive maps scare me to death, you wouldn't like the cost on the continent.

In UK ?

I think a dongle might give a better bandwidth, all it has to do is serve data.

And then things get blurred, a good smartphone is a PC.

I have a smartphone and MiFi. One works in some regions, the other in others, being on O2 and Voda.

Cost, the MiFi was £52 unlocked off ebay. A dongle would be a bit cheaper but isn't so flexible.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Interactive maps scare me to death, you wouldn't like the cost on the continent.

In UK ?

I think a dongle might give a better bandwidth, all it has to do is serve data.

And then things get blurred, a good smartphone is a PC.

I have a smartphone and MiFi. One works in some regions, the other in others, being on O2 and Voda.

Cost, the MiFi was £52 unlocked off ebay. A dongle would be a bit cheaper but isn't so flexible.

I found that if i bought a French sim card i could not type into a mifi unit a code number to unlock it.
I ended up using my Vodaphone acc sim in my phone and if i paid a extra £3 per day i got a connection anywhere in euro land and could use my phone as here without a shock :Eeek:
The phone can be a wifi hotspot for a laptop ect too

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
iphone everytime for me.

Me too and I have Tethering included in my Orange contract so I can connect my Ipad or laptop to the internet through it. Best of both worlds.

In Europe I buy the 30mb per day bundle and only get charged £3 on the days I use it

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I recently changed from a dongle to using my smartphone (HTC desire)....MUCH better,......quicker, cheaper and using bluetooth, no need for wires, wouldnt go back.:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Having put off getting an iphone just because of the negative hype and buying an android that I was initially happy with but shortlived I finally got on the right path.
Had my 4s 11 months now and I wouldn't swap it for anything except perhaps a 5.
Everytime I use it is complete satisfaction.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Fior me too it is I Phone all the way although I do have 3 dongle for visiting the UK because free wifi is much more difficult to find there !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Fior me too it is I Phone all the way although I do have 3 dongle for visiting the UK because free wifi is much more difficult to find there !!

All McDonalds are free and very many pubs and shops use cloud O2 free, all you need do is register to log in.
Also if you buy a Fonera and install it at home you'll gain access to all the very many Fon sites in UK
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

http://maps.fon.com/fr

Last edited:

tsrwright

Free Member
May 4, 2011
Sydney
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
6 years
We travel 3 months in UK and Europe each year with 2 x iPhone, 2 x iPad and 2 x laptop.

We got a Huewai (sp?) MiFi (I think they call it) which charges off the laptop or the van 240/12V and has a battery so we can take it anywhere. Can plug into the USB ports but basically it is wireless and supports up to five devices at once (I think) Normally it is just Velcroed to a rooflight and connected to 12V.

With this set-up any of the devices we have can be connected at will so it is just like having a wireless network at home. It mainly uses the 3G network which is ok for ordinary work and doubtless 4G willl be better.

You need to have a sim card and data account with a provider - in our case 3 and over the past 12 months reception has become quite good.

Thing is, and I don't know how this applies to other devices, my wife and I can sit connected at the same time with no problem. Donlt think you can do this without having a dongle each which probably you couldnlt connect to an iPad.

I suppose for Europe we would just buy a local sim card.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
My Samsung SII has almost completely replaced my laptop with dongle in its usefulness.

Wouldn't touch an Apple product with a 10 foot bargepole.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just wondering why?

I'll bet the same as me, you pay Apple top money for a good product then they tell you just what you can do with it.

Android, you pay from cheap to top money and do what the hell you want with it. So much variety.

Apple is too much of a cult thing, a triumph of marketing, ney brain washing from the master control freak.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'll bet the same as me, you pay Apple top money for a good product then they tell you just what you can do with it.

Android, you pay from cheap to top money and do what the hell you want with it. So much variety.

Apple is too much of a cult thing, a triumph of marketing, ney brain washing from the master control freak.
And now I have downloaded all of the relevant US maps onto my S2 using Nav Free I will be using it as my sat nav while in the US too. No WiFi or data required. Can you do that with an iphone.:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Samsung only copy apple hence being sued for gazillions :ROFLMAO:

apple isnt plastic junk either :thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
And now I have downloaded all of the relevant US maps onto my S2 using Nav Free I will be using it as my sat nav while in the US too. No WiFi or data required. Can you do that with an iphone.:thumb:

I ask myself why when I have a tomtom 1005 with world maps that has a much more powerful GPS receiver and therefore less likely to lose where you are when it's important

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Yes, the tomtom app does not need a data connection or wifi to operate fully. However, I would prefer to use my tomtom 1005 sat nav as it has a larger screen that a phone and it made for the job although I do find the tomtom app on the phone ideal if walking around, particularly in a city.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
i've got tomtom on my ipad. We're travelling Europe for 3 months and found this to be invaluable. You can access a general map of any area and zoom in to see all smaller roads or zoom out for bigger picture. It is always up to date (at no extra cost as oit's an app!) and you don't need internet connection to view it. It's also on my iphone so good if we are out & about.
I've got an iphone on 3 with "the one" package which gives intenet tethering to up to 5 devices at any one time. OK if you have got a signal but not allowed to tether when you are abroad - only in UK!
Have found that internet connection has been quite readilly avaliable wherever we've been, on campsites, in bars or in Macdonalds - all free!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Samsung only copy apple hence being sued for gazillions :ROFLMAO:

[HI]apple isnt plastic junk either[/HI] :thumb:

You can re-appraise your view after viewing this if you like.:Smile:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs[/ame]

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's very funny :ROFLMAO:
I'm careful not to drop mine it's far too precious :roflmto:
I don't use plastic glasses in the motorhome either

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Link Removed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNM90pb-Xwk[/ame]

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
i've got tomtom on my ipad. We're travelling Europe for 3 months and found this to be invaluable. You can access a general map of any area and zoom in to see all smaller roads or zoom out for bigger picture. It is always up to date (at no extra cost as oit's an app!) and you don't need internet connection to view it. It's also on my iphone so good if we are out & about.
I've got an iphone on 3 with "the one" package which gives intenet tethering to up to 5 devices at any one time. OK if you have got a signal but not allowed to tether when you are abroad - only in UK!
Have found that internet connection has been quite readilly avaliable wherever we've been, on campsites, in bars or in Macdonalds - all free!
I have an S2 on Three fully loaded package. I also have an Iphone 4s on Three fully loaded package that my partner uses. She loves her iPhone, well she would being female. I much prefer my S2, but then I would being male.:winky:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You can re-appraise your view after viewing this if you like.:Smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jViSKlAeYYs

A very scientific experiment upon which we should all immediately re-appraise our views......:thumb:

Hmmmm, I think not, ........ just because it is on the internet, some may believe it is a fair and true experiment, shot on the first take and without any editing or bias, others may be rather more sceptical....:RollEyes:

I have, and always will have covers on my phones and gadgets. I have dropped them from time to time,and never have suffered any significant damage. I even once some time ago dropped an iphone 3s, 9m from the top of a cargo tank.... the case was damaged, but no damage to the iphone.

I for one, don't care, if they wish to carry their very smart "phones" around without any protective covers and then drop them willy nilly, so be it.

The phones may be smart but the owners are not so....:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A very scientific experiment upon which we should all immediately re-appraise our views......:thumb:

Hmmmm, I think not, ........ just because it is on the internet, some may believe it is a fair and true experiment, shot on the first take and without any editing or bias, others may be rather more sceptical....:RollEyes:

I have, and always will have covers on my phones and gadgets. I have dropped them from time to time,and never have suffered any significant damage. I even once some time ago dropped an iphone 3s, 9m from the top of a cargo tank.... the case was damaged, but no damage to the iphone.

I for one, don't care, if they wish to carry their very smart "phones" around without any protective covers and then drop them willy nilly, so be it.

I have a smart son who is on his third Iphone screen, one was in his back pocket when he sat down. Never seen a broken S2 screen:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a smart son who is on his third Iphone screen, one was in his back pocket when he sat down. [HI]Never seen a broken S2 screen[/HI]:Smile:

Broken Link Removed

One of my daughters has broken the screen on most phones she had had, including iPhone and Samsungs... In fact she has broken or lost most gadgets she has ever owned.....:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Are you worthy of owning an Iphone, I thought that Iphones should be bare and on view so that all the world can see what a magnificent piece of kit you have in your possession. :winky:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you worthy of owning an Iphone, I thought that Iphones should be bare and on view so that all the world can see what a magnificent piece of kit you have in your possession. :winky:

I have other magnificent bits of kit in my possession......

and I have no need to show them off in public either......:winky::winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Broken Link Removed

One of my daughters has broken the screen on most phones she had had, including iPhone and Samsungs... In fact she has broken or lost most gadgets she has ever owned.....:Doh:
That is a great bit of artwork must have taken some time, was chalk your medium.::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back