LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
A few weeks ago I dinged the van on a wall :cry: My good old local garage has done a fantastic job of the bodywork :thumb:, however the narrow rubbing strip along the side was crumpled, and I have been unable to find a one the correct width ( 19mm ). I have sourced some plain aluminium feathered edge trim of the correct width that I am going to use.

My query is - when using sikaflex, is it instant grab or do you need to hold it in position for any length of time and which is the best one to use, the length of trim will be about 3.5 metres so difficult to apply pressure to the whole length. I could put screws through, but wanted to avoid this if possible. Also if using screws, can I use stainless steel ? I seem to remember that aluminium and steel causes some kind of reaction.

cheers John

Attachments

• after 1.jpg
    after 1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 51
  • after 2.jpg
    after 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 44

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Aluminium and stainless steel are fine together, used all the time on aluminium mast fittings. trim is often just pop riveted on. if using sikaflex you would need to clamp in position for at least 15mins. But no great pressure required

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most trims are bonded on with mastic, not sikaflex to allow for movement. its available in a flat ribbon form on a roll from most accessory shops. or talk to the bodyshop you used and they will have a more permanent mastic/glue on a roll used for all sorts from windows to trim pieces

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
most trims are bonded on with mastic, not sikaflex to allow for movement. its available in a flat ribbon form on a roll from most accessory shops. or talk to the bodyshop you used and they will have a more permanent mastic/glue on a roll used for all sorts from windows to trim pieces

I have seen the ribbon type, the original trim had it on, the original had a plastic insert to which hid the screw heads but the trim I have is a plain flat strip. I will probably use the ribbon mastic an use raised head stainless steel screws.

Mendoza

Free Member
Aug 24, 2012
http://www.wholesaledvdsa
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
, but wanted to avoid this if possible. Also if using screws, can I use stainless steel ? I seem to remember that aluminium and steel causes some kind of reaction.

---------------------------------

Your DVD choice --- Broken Link Removed ,one more shoot to scores.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
could you use 3m tape ,the same as which is used to stick trim to the out side of cars

Never seen this, is it readily available ? however I think I would need some sort of mastic / sealer as there are a series of slots through the plastic / aluminium

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back