Looking to purchase first motorhome (1 Viewer)

logan5

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Wanting to buy
Exp
Hi everyone,

Another novice here! We are looking to purchase our first motorhome to accomodate two adults, two 6-year old kids and a puppy. Our budget is £15K (could probably go a couple higher). Usage would be mainly weekends at the coast plus annual leave.

I guess that limits us to models 95-2001 ish. We would prefer something not too long (need to fit onto a drive with two other cars). I assume we're also looking at models with 2 3-point seats behind the cab (the wife prefers large U-shaped lounge at the back but age and price range limits us in that respect?)

We are going to go to have a look at Wellsbridge Motorhomes this weekend (near Ramsey, Cambs). Has anyone dealt with this company before? (We will be taking our time to research though and not rushing in!)
Cheers

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you need to look wide and at many

Hi everyone,

Another novice here! We are looking to purchase our first motorhome to accomodate two adults, two 6-year old kids and a puppy. Our budget is £15K (could probably go a couple higher). Usage would be mainly weekends at the coast plus annual leave.

I guess that limits us to models 95-2001 ish. We would prefer something not too long (need to fit onto a drive with two other cars). I assume we're also looking at models with 2 3-point seats behind the cab (the wife prefers large U-shaped lounge at the back but age and price range limits us in that respect?)

We are going to go to have a look at Wellsbridge Motorhomes this weekend (near Ramsey, Cambs). Has anyone dealt with this company before? (We will be taking our time to research though and not rushing in!)
Cheers

Look at as many as you can within your budget. Ebay has many Motor homes and RV's for sale, try auto trader and look in your local papers. You do need to do lots of research... OK a dealer will give you back up, but they have to make a profit.. you pay that profit in the buying price.. Private is OK if you carry out your HPI type checks and can have some one look at it.. do a damp check.. common sense will tell you if it is right for you.

Go to one of the big shows.. Malvern on this weekend and you have Bath & West and Lincoln in September.. look at what is on offer, you can then look around for something similar.

Took me 2 years to find my RV (Which is for sale on ebay)... taken me a year so far to find the replacement .. so even with 20 years plus owning a motor home or RV I still find it hard... you will get there.. but look wide.

Bob

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome Logan we have an elddis 130 and have been very happy with it we are currently thinking of selling it to upgrade to an newer model, I would recommend this model for you and your family not the poshest MH but really good value for money ours is a 2006 and would be looking for slightly more than your stretched budget but im sure you will get one within your budget around 2004.

If you have any question on an elddis feel free to ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wellsbridge are fine. They have a lot undercover and Harry - the owner - is a nice bloke to deal with. While your in the area it may pay you to give Pioneer Caravans a call as they are just up the road in Eye Peterborough - I bought my van from them in 2006 - a brand new Catrioca656 - and still have it. another great outfit to deal with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

logan5

Free Member
Aug 16, 2012
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Wanting to buy
Exp
Hi all,

thanks for taking the time to reply. After a good look on the internet, we think we want something with the central dinette (so we can have 3 point belts for the two seats behind driver). Not too fussed about the extra 5th bench seat, as we can have a shorter vehicle then which helps with the drive and also that we will mainly use for day trips and Saturday night stopovers.

Does the AA etc do inspections for motorhomes?

cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
We spent ages looking before taking the plunge and each visit to a dealer, chat to owners and research offered more information (and more confusion). We made a number of visits to Wellsbridge and have friends who have purchased there and been very happy. They do leave you alone to poke around, which is ideal. The chaps at White Arches were also very good - loads of information and no pressure.

We too looked at the parking on the drive option, but opted for local storage at Abbots Ripton at £20 per month, really just for security (and not upsetting the neighbours). Wellsbridge offer storage for their customers, but (I believe) you can only access this storage during opening hours.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Does the AA etc do inspections for motorhomes?

Hi Logan and welcome to the Fun! :Smile:

The AA do inspect motorhomes but only look at the base vehicle not the habitation side of things. For about £85 more, MACIC will inspect just about everything you can think of. .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back