LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was reading Treacle's posting about his blowout and I was wondering what is the situation with motorhomes not having a spare wheel?

Do the recovery people take the driver (Treacle) to get a new tyre?
Is this a 24h service?
Do they leave the van jacked up?

What is the process and is it a sensible way forward, having spent a fortune on a Motorhome..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Shiftzz. the AA guy took me and the wheel to a garage. His gear couldn't jack up the van so I had to find my jack which took a while :)Blush:)

I think it's criminal that no spare is fitted as standard. I will get one fitted when I get home.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Shiftzz. the AA guy took me and the wheel to a garage. His gear couldn't jack up the van so I had to find my jack which took a while :)Blush:)

I think it's criminal that no spare is fitted as standard. I will get one fitted when I get home.

Indeed a sensible reply, I agree and thats the problem. I am looking for another spare wheel for my Rapido 16" Ducato.

I very much doubt that the puncture repair kit would fix anything.

By the way, were you not told that you were not carrying a spare?

Hope you are enjoying your hols.

ShiftZZ

PS, Mrs ShiftZZ said to me, "Why do you want another 'spare tyre', you already have one... The cheek of the woman...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I was not aware there was no spare but I hadn't really given it any thought to be honest. . I called the dealer when it happened and they said they were 80% sure it didn't have a spare but I needed to check underneath to be certain.

It's crazy really. I blame myself but it's pretty basic stuff that you don't think of when you buy a van.

Having a great time thanks but it is searing hot. Too hot for me. I came last year but it was nothing like this. Had the runs as well for the last 2 days which my wife blames on some prawns. I personally blame the fact I got slaughtered with a friend I have in L'escala on Wednesday::bigsmile:

Feeling a bit better now:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wouldn't dream of leaving home in anything without a spare wheel. I even changed the stupid skinny spare on my car for a proper spare wheel.What use is a skinny spare wheel when you have a flat 300 miles from home on a Sunday night. The problem with many motorhomes is because they fit water tanks etc under the van there is no room for a spare wheel carrier.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't dream of leaving home in anything without a spare wheel. I even changed the stupid skinny spare on my car for a proper spare wheel.What use is a skinny spare wheel when you have a flat 300 miles from home on a Sunday night. The problem with many motorhomes is because they fit water tanks etc under the van there is no room for a spare wheel carrier.

I agree. I am going to try to get one fitted to the boot floor when I get home.

Had the garage not been open I would have to have waited hours for a mobile company according to the AA.

I did feel a prat when the AA chap asked where the spare was and then where the jack was. Blank looks all round::bigsmile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Mine didn't come with a spare, it was one of my first purchases for my van. Got a brand new 16" wheel and tyre from a Funster who changed down to a 15"wheeled Pilote or Burstner..........:thumb:

ps.....bloody heavy though

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You you were jacked up on the side of the road whilst the RAC/AA bloke took you to get a new tyre, as you say lucky of they are open, but what if you needed a new wheel?
So what about the family, would they be left on their own on the Motorway?

The spare in the Rapido is under the back and not easy to get to, even the young RAC bloke had a problem.

I know there are some motorways where the 'round trip' back to your breakdown could be miles.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on with adding the spare to the van.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I agree. I am going to try to get one fitted to the boot floor when I get home.

Had the garage not been open I would have to have waited hours for a mobile company according to the AA.

I did feel a prat when the AA chap asked where the spare was and then where the jack was. [HI]Blank looks all round[/HI]::bigsmile:
Should you be saying that.....:Smile:
Not having a spare is crazy, what if the rim is damaged. I have a unwritten rule, have everything to change a wheel or perform a minor repair accessible so that I can find it in the dark on a wet motorway. I had a puncture once on a two lane very busy French motorway that had no hard shoulder.:Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Should I be saying it?

Well I said it so I guess so. Daft but true.

I just did not stop to think and it's especially daft because I have had plenty of punctures in my cars.

In fact I had a puncture in my car in Northern Spain at Easter but I had run flats so I could get to a garage for a fix.That should have made me stop and think:Doh:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]Should I be saying it?[/HI]

Well I said it so I guess so. Daft but true.

I just did not stop to think and it's especially daft because I have had plenty of punctures in my cars.

In fact I had a puncture in my car in Northern Spain at Easter but I had run flats so I could get to a garage for a fix.That should have made me stop and think:Doh:
Now I have put my glasses on.....Yes indeed you should:Blush:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Anybody been refused assistance from their breakdown service yet?
It seems most of them state in the T&C's that you must have a serviceable spare!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Ours doesn't have one either, but ive just got that tyre sealant stuff to put in to minimise the risk.

Whilst at Malvern Clare got chatting and was told that friends of the folks she was chatting too had been fined in Spain for not having a spare as it was illegal in Spain...any know if this is true??

Apart from carrying in the under bed storage on ours, i cant see anywhere else it could go that would minimise its weight - as in its get heavier the further back from the axle it goes. Any ideas on a chausson 85?

and any suggestions on type of carrier etc if i can find somewhere external to put it

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Whilst at Malvern Clare got chatting and was told that friends of the folks she was chatting too had been fined in Spain for not having a spare as it was illegal in Spain...any know if this is true??

I find that strange, given many converters are now producing vans without spare wheels (same with cars too). And most of the vans do not have them available as an option ie a dedicated place to store one underneath - as already mentioned, water tanks are frequently in the way.

Our Chausson doesn't have one, and the company is part of the Trigano group - the largest manufacturer of leisure vehicles in Europe. So very surprised if it is a legal requirement in Spain? :Angry:

Cheers, Mike

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours doesn't have one either, but ive just got that tyre sealant stuff to put in to minimise the risk.

Apart from carrying in the under bed storage on ours, i cant see anywhere else it could go that would minimise its weight - as in its get heavier the further back from the axle it goes. Any ideas on a chausson 85?

and any suggestions on type of carrier etc if i can find somewhere external to put it

According to the AA you need a spare and tools to fit[HI] or a repair thingy[/HI]. The spare tyre used to be compulsory but isn't now (presumably because of the increasing number of vehicles without one.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Most recovery clubs "CAN" refuse service if a spare is not carried, making recovery the only option, but their T&C,a also say that lack of a servicable spare does not warrant a recovery..a lot depends on the club, the call centre, and what time of day it is.

If you were to get a blow out and have no spare at say.........1700 on a saturday, most clubs would arrange a "call out" tyre service for you. You would then pay for the call out (expensive..up to £75) then the tyre and valve etc. You would not get a chance to "pick " a tyre, so you would end up with an expensive one....i would imagine the excercise would cost you possibly in excess of £200, and failure to have the funds , again, ...would not always instigate a recovery..especially if your recovery was a long one.

I posted a while back, I had a blow out on the M4 approaching London after a week in Wales. This is an especially busy road, and my wife was terrified. I put out triangles, kept as far from the traffic as possible, kept an eye out, and was on my way in under 20 mins, because I prepared for it.........much safer than sitting there for hours waiting for assistance.

Carry a spare...you know it makes sense........:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
According to the AA you need a spare and tools to fit[HI] or a repair thingy[/HI]. The spare tyre used to be compulsory but isn't now (presumably because of the increasing number of vehicles without one.

Probably changed the law so they could get another car manufacturing plant built, producing vehicles without spare wheels.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Chausson Flash 04 didn't come with a spare so we bought one and this is how I secured it in the garage.

Our new van is a Fiat and comes with a spare wheel :thumb: so the Ford one will be up for sale shortly if anyone is interested. It is a 215/75/16, 'as new' and never used, always stored inside, can't remember what the tyre is at present and I ain't going looking at this time of night but it's the 'proper job' and matches the rest of them - it still has the 'bobbles' on it .... :Smile: I've also got the proper Ford jack that will be surplus to requirements too - we found that when you only get the compressor and 'gunk' you don't get one of these either!

Attachments

• Spare Wheel - r.jpg
    Spare Wheel - r.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 22

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.......... I had a blow out on the M4 approaching London after a week in Wales. This is an especially busy road, and my wife was terrified. I put out triangles, kept as far from the traffic as possible, kept an eye out, and was on my way in under 20 mins, because I prepared for it.........[HI]much safer than sitting there for hours waiting for assistance.[/HI]

Carry a spare...you know it makes sense........:thumb:

I would have done exactly the same.. so it's not a criticism ..

however, I disagree about it being safer, it is much safer to exit the vehicle, climb over the safety rail, call and wait for assistance.. the Highway Code has this to say
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069863
Additional rules for the motorway
If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should
pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left
try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. You MUST leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway
do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs
ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder, and that children are kept under control
walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to the Highways Agency or the police. Use these in preference to a mobile phone (see Rule 283). Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone
give full details to the Highways Agency or the police; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone
return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
if you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed
[Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12]

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You you were jacked up on the side of the road whilst the RAC/AA bloke took you to get a new tyre, as you say lucky of they are open, but what if you needed a new wheel?
So what about the family, would they be left on their own on the Motorway?

The spare in the Rapido is under the back and not easy to get to, even the young RAC bloke had a problem.

I know there are some motorways where the 'round trip' back to your breakdown could be miles.

I will look forward to hearing how you get on with adding the spare to the van.

Missed this one Shiftzz. We weren't at the side of the motorway. Luckily it happened about 100 yards from Maidstone services so I crawled in there and parked up.

I am going to book the van in for service/ MOT late Sept and I will let you know how I get on. No long trips before I have a spare.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We took ours out from underneath, not only was it a hassle getting at it, (Tow Bar, and waste water tank) it was a bigger hassle getting at the thingees to lower the cage to get the damn thing out in the first place.

Have now got it stowed under the bed, resting on a bit of old carpet, and secured by two battons screwed into the floor to stop it moving around.

One other thing, the Scissor jack supplied is only just up to the job, I'll look around for a Trolly Jack I think. Bugg** the weight problem:thumb: I'll just leave out some of Mrs Rs "luxeries":Blush:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We took ours out from underneath, not only was it a hassle getting at it, (Tow Bar, and waste water tank) it was a bigger hassle getting at the thingees to lower the cage to get the damn thing out in the first place.

Have now got it stowed under the bed, resting on a bit of old carpet, and secured by two battons screwed into the floor to stop it moving around.

One other thing, the Scissor jack supplied is only just up to the job, [HI]I'll look around for a Trolly Jack I think. [/HI]Bugg** the weight problem:thumb: I'll just leave out some of Mrs Rs "luxeries":Blush:

Watch Lidl & Aldi. They sometimes have 6 tonne bottle jacks in their specials.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Chausson Flash 04 didn't come with a spare so we bought one and this is how I secured it in the garage.

Our new van is a Fiat and comes with a spare wheel :thumb: so the Ford one will be up for sale shortly if anyone is interested. It is a 215/75/16, 'as new' and never used, always stored inside, can't remember what the tyre is at present and I ain't going looking at this time of night but it's the 'proper job' and matches the rest of them - it still has the 'bobbles' on it .... :Smile: I've also got the proper Ford jack that will be surplus to requirements too - we found that when you only get the compressor and 'gunk' you don't get one of these either!

Are you sure?
We have a jack and wheelbrace despite having a compressor and sealing gunk!

It's behind a cover in the driver's footwell!:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you sure?
We have a jack and wheelbrace despite having a compressor and sealing gunk!

It's behind a cover in the driver's footwell!:thumb:

Yup, I'm sure ... our Mk 6 based van had a spare wheel underneath and jack in the driver's footwell compartment so we knew where to check when we changed to our Mk 7 based van (we knew it wouldn't have a spare wheel) but there was nothing in the compartment - all it had was the compressor and gunk, nothing else. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back