Motorhome & Toad v Car & Caravan? (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We are today pitched up near Loch Rannoch, the weather is sunny and warm, as it was yesterday.:thumb:

I have seen plenty of other Motorhomes on the road and gave them all a big wave. I have also noticed a few pulling toads on trailers and even on A frames..... (no, it's not another A frame thread)....

However each time I see a toad being pulled behind a motorhome, I just ask myself... WHY?

If you are touring around and moving on every day, or every other day why do you need a car in tow. If you pitch up and its a mile or two to the nearest village, shops, bar etc, you could walk, or use a bike, electric bike or even a scooter or small motorbike, keeping them in a garage or on a rack.

If you are going to pitch for several days or a week or more, but still want to explore a bit further afield, a car and caravan evidently makes much more sense to me.
There is only one lot of tax and insurance. You do not have two engines to service, extra running costs, tyres etc. The car and caravan could cost significantly less in the first place and give more living space as you have no "Cab" in the caravan.....

When I see it a Motorhome with a Toad in tow, I actually just see a car and caravan in reverse, but much more expensive. :Doh:

Am I missing something?:Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's a personal choice . I tow a small car behind my RV on some trips , on others I take electric bikes.
A caravan is not readily functional pulling into layby or especially aires in France etc whereas a Motorhome with bikes on the back does the job.
If you cannot afford it , don't do it !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It's a personal choice . I tow a small car behind my RV on some trips , on others I take electric bikes.
A caravan is not readily functional pulling into layby or especially aires in France etc whereas a Motorhome with bikes on the back does the job.

Yep .... wot Larry said :thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have always been one of the first to say that if you have a Motor Home and you are towing a car, you have things the wrong way around.

I am now a convert.

I now find myself with a motor home and a car, I've also ordered a trailer to be built to take my car down to Spain with me.

I'm not really sure how this has all come about, but I do know, that I would not like to tow a caravan all the way down to Spain. In fact I would not like to tow a caravan anywhere.

It's not about cost it's about preference.

I used to be a tugger so I do know something about it.

Pete:Cool:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
In my case with my wife's disability we need a car to move around. It's easy to say just use a bike/bus/walk but some may not be able to do that.

And i much prefer a M/H to having a caravan.

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Of course, just like RV v Eurovan, it is all indeed a matter of personal choice.

I did not mention anything about affordability either, that was not my question.
I was just wondering about the logic and practicalities, and as you have said above "a motorhome with bikes on the back does the job" so why pull a car?

When I see a motorhome towing a car, it seems to me, that the general idea of Motorhoming has been lost somewhere, because if you have a car (toad) being pulled by a motorhome (the accomodation unit, ie caravan), you are then no different to a tugger.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think some of us have the answer .do i need to say more .
5er or artic makes much more sense . and we stop in aires and park up all over the place with out hassle .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
because if you have a car (toad) being pulled by a motorhome (the accomodation unit, ie caravan), you are then no different to a tugger.

Not quite.

Because you have two sets of driving cabs, pulling a toad for any given train length, a caravan will have much better accommodation. If you factor in cost of purchase there is no contest.

A car on an A-frame is wearing out an expensive item when it's use is a tiny fraction of the actual wear.

We never stop long in one place. I guess a MH is right for us though I spent some time looking in Discovery Durham one day and could not believe the luxury afforded by quite cheap caravans.

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not quite.

Because you have two sets of driving cabs, pulling a toad for any given train length, [HI]a caravan will have much better accommodation. If you factor in cost of purchase there is no contest[/HI].

[HI]A car on an A-frame is wearing out an expensive item when it's use is a tiny fraction of the actual wear.[/HI]

We never stop long in one place. I guess a MH is right for us though I spent some time looking in Discovery Durham one day and could not believe the luxury afforded by quite cheap caravans.

My thoughts as well.... :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no mini artic much more sense .the overlap makes for a much shorter length . and its much more manouverable . i have 7 seats in the truck yet when disconected its smaller than many cars . higher of course. only a little bit longer than a corvette .

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Callum I do not get it either:Doh:

I know people do I just do not know why?
I understand the ones with a hobby involved IE; little classic car,racing car ,motorcycle,trike etc on the back as its part of their hobby

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a toad sometimes (UK only) and the times I use it are where a trailer caravan would be better but I don't have one. This is when staying in one place for a while and exploring the area. Most places in the UK are unfrreindly to motorhome parking and sites are invariably miles from anywhere you want to visit.
If I had somewhere to store a trailer caravan then I would keep one just for my relatively little UK use instead of the Toad.
On the continent I leave the toad behind.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a trailer for my motorbike. It's too big to hang on the back.
It is useful if you park up for a few days and want to do a bit of exploring. It doesn't always go with us, only if we intend to be in one place for a few days at a time.
We have had caravans and prefer our MH. Sometimes it's more convenient, sometimes not. Just our personal choice.
If we did decide to have a toad it would be a Smart car on a trailer, but that would be for long stays in Europe in the winter. Again, for our convenience.
We often catch a bus or ring for a taxi from a camp site if we want to go into a town etc. for the day.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I checked out hiring a trailer for Spain in winter and found it is much cheaper just to hire a car when you get there :Doh:. Obviously the sums are different if you already own a trailer but I don't.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Of course, just like RV v Eurovan, it is all indeed a matter of personal choice.

I did not mention anything about affordability either, that was not my question.
I was just wondering about the logic and practicalities, and as you have said above "a motorhome with bikes on the back does the job" so why pull a car?

When I see a motorhome towing a car, it seems to me, that the general idea of Motorhoming has been lost somewhere, because if you have a car (toad) being pulled by a motorhome (the accomodation unit, ie caravan), you are then no different to a tugger.

Hi Callum, depends on the trip. Last year we visited Scotland for a month with car on the back, we stopped at several sites including near the Cairngorms, Skye and Glen Nevis.
We had the comfort of our RV plus the safety of towing .
Caravans have the ability to flip, we also had the Peugeot 107 to get to all the little nooks and crannies that most motorhomes and towcars cannot reach.
We were able to pull into laybys and other areas for a short stop and cuppa and toilet, which is not easy with a caravan.
Ok we are towing but the small car being towed will go anywhere, is very economical and in addition our RV gives us a very comfortable home to spend time in when the weather is poor.
It is more costly but I can afford it at present and see no attraction in tugging a caravan

:Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I must agree with the op it's the same s tugging a caravan......so why do I do it well I don't like caravans want more space....so the RV works for us also like my Corvette don't tow a caravan too well :ROFLMAO: we tend to park somewhere for a week at atime and go out from there.......if at a show I just take the bikes........some people are disabled and a RV or motorhome suits their needs better than a Caravan......Smudger couldn't do what he does without a RV with a car on a trailer....but I guess for many it is just personal choice and what works for them and yes if going to Spain for the winter it may well be cheaper to rent......but I must admit we don't always do things that are rational do we :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 x road tax, 2 x insurance, 2 x servicing......just doesnt add up......they will have a car for daily use which already has all of the above :Doh:

Most folks dont use there motorhome every day of every week as daily transport just as most dont use a motorhome every day of every week to tour/camp.

when it comes to wasted funds the motorhome is the biggest loser....a dozen weekends, or even every weekend, and maybe two or three full weeks away and the rest of the year it stands on the drive, taxed and insured....dead money !

if you have a car why not tow it and use it for exploring the local area.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Its horses for courses..................yes I tow a horse...no trailer just the horse. :Smile:

barry

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Its horses for courses..................yes I tow a horse...no trailer just the horse. :Smile:

barry

You jest Barry, but there was a guy at Malvern show with a full size model horse complete with tack on the back of his RV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

What you are saying "Callumwa" , I agree with most of it, We have always parked for 1,2,or 3 days and then moved on, shopping on the way.... to me that is what the motorhoming is all about ...touring...

If you want campsites for long periods weeks and months then yes caravan would be better...

I have towed caravans many many years before motorhoming...and the later a motorhome to me is far better and more acceptable for us

Now in France you do not see many touring Caravans WHY...well they are only small like little old boxes from the 1950's...and a lot keep them in compounds close to where they would stop pull them out when needed mainly use them for sleeping.... eating outside

Also in France where we live, the Aires the caravan is a NO NO...we still do not tow a car or a toad but I can understand other's and why....

Now the RVs..well I would think they are that big going into a French / Spanish , Portuguese or even a UK town or a supermarket could create some big problems....and a bike for some is ok but not for others...and hanging a scooter or a motorbike, or even two electric bikes on the back of a already overloaded motorhome is not on..

But things are changing all the time ( I am not talking money as Larry has mentioned:Doh:)...I am talking many motorhomes are at there limits as far as mgw..and payload...many can not achieve the weight required so are now having to resort to tow bar and pulling a trailer...so the question is, do you break the law.overload..do you pull a trailer to remove the over weight off the motorhome..AND if you are going to pull a trailer do you make it big enough to pull a small car ..like a smart...to make life a lot easy..

Over here in France I now see many French vans pulling trailers, with scooters, and motorbikes on for the reasons mentioned....pulling a toad in France I don't think is acceptable,
I have heard some motorhomers have been stopped, told to uncouple, pay a fine, and move on, that's ok if you have two drivers on board, as this is only hear say and I was not there at the time I can not confirm...it could be another GAS attack:Eeek::winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Would I tow a caravan again.....................NO........done it, been there, had the tee shirt thrown it away don't want one again..(.we had big motors) Range Rovers, Land Rovers, Jags, large Rovers,. and many other large vehicles and large caravans)

Then you see the caravaners pull up, hitching, un-hitching, pulling tugging..remotes and movers every thing has to come out of the van so they can get inside, waste water tank, etc...Peeeeeeing it down with rain in Kagoooles..Why would you want to tug again...pull up cup of tea something to eat while you watch the tuggers set up ..move when you want....no overtaking problems with the motorhome...tugging you have to be a little more cautious...

also when on a long run it is simple just to pull up in a layby drink of tea wash pots move on...not in a caravan do you put the steadies down or not..Mmmm if not the van rocks when you move about in it when a lorry passes the caravan rocks... UPS.. that me tea spilt ...or do you drink outside or sat in the car
:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get a fiver pull up stop go in the back srart living . certainly i never drop any stabilizers only the front legs if unhitching . i get into mant small towns abroad and supermarket car parks . lorries have to get there to deliver so size isnt a problem. i do think normal caravans are a bit more of a bind . but really you can drop a fifth wheel trailer in only a few minutes . have on board tanks so no messing with buckets etc . could have a taillift so scooters electric disability vehicles can be catered for . just seems the best way to me . think hard about it and can be easier to get the licence at 70 .no medicals yet can tow a big trainweight with the right set up .

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
After reading all of the comments on this thread about costs, convenience, pros and cons etc, and being fed up and disenchanted with the Fiat part of our supposedly new MH, I am seriously looking at fifth wheeling.
For the money we have spent on our MH I could have bought a brand new fiver and a very decent 4x4 pick up to pull it.
That way we could have sold our Land Rover and only had one vehicle to keep on the road, but had the convenience of a MH without the hassle of a caravan.

Wouldn't hindsight be great if we could have it as forsight instead :ROFLMAO:

Think I will contact some dealers and see what they can offer on an Autotrail Comanche with a Fiat judder. ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
NO contest

Nuff said well bin the caravan and get real LOL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
car and caravan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
After reading all of the comments on this thread about costs, convenience, pros and cons etc, and being fed up and disenchanted with the Fiat part of our supposedly new MH, I am seriously looking at fifth wheeling.
For the money we have spent on our MH I could have bought a brand new fiver and a very decent 4x4 pick up to pull it.
That way we could have sold our Land Rover and only had one vehicle to keep on the road, but had the convenience of a MH without the hassle of a caravan.

Wouldn't hindsight be great if we could have it as forsight instead :ROFLMAO:

Think I will contact some dealers and see what they can offer on an Autotrail Comanche with a Fiat judder. ::bigsmile:
sorry you have had to learn the hard way
euro MHs are built on too small a chassis with engines that can just about pull their own ass along

for the best of both worlds a small RV with car/trailer gives you the job lot
i got a nice RV under £20K euroboxes are over priced and over here
LOL

hope you find what suits you

good luck searching
ian:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries