Zoophoo

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Dear all, will be touring Europe for the first time, hoping to reach the dolomites.

Is it worth investing in a generator for a months tour. Thinking something like the Kipor IG2000.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks all

Zoophoo

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Dear all, will be touring Europe for the first time, hoping to reach the dolomites.

Is it worth investing in a generator for a months tour. Thinking something like the Kipor IG2000.

Thanks all

Zoophoo

Well....Mmmmm... I have a Honda 1kw and a Kipor 2kw.....in France from April to late September..and if you have a solar panel and a couple of batteries ....I would say no ..unless you use a lot of Lecky :Eeek::Doh:...and we do Aires all the time..
But if you are on campsites... no... you should not need one...this is just my opinion

It very rare I use the Honda 1kw and I leave the kipor at home...I just carry it just in case of an emergency

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Thanks all

Zoophoo

It will depend on many factors, whether you have solar panels and your leisure battery capacity.

Are you intending to pitch-up for more than a 2 or 3 days without electric hook-up?

What time of the year? (you will use more power during the short winter days with more lighting, heating & tv)

Do you have any particular needs which would require extra battery power?

We have 1 x 80w panel & 2x 120ah leisure batteries.

We also have a lpg converted 1Kw Honda (saves carrying petrol on board) which we very seldom take with us. I think the only time it has been used was an occasion about 4 years ago when we were on site without elh for two weeks and managed to flatten the starter battery by using a small inverter in the ciggy lighter to run my laptop.

Basically the answer would be NO but get solar if not already fitted.

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We tend to move around quite frequently in Europe, there's always so much to see in a short trip!

Because of that, even before installing our trusty Sterling B2B charger, we have never had a need for a genny.

We've never seen one of our European cousins use one in the warmer months either.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We tend to move around quite frequently in Europe, there's always so much to see in a short trip!

Because of that, even before installing our trusty Sterling B2B charger, we have never had a need for a genny.

We've never seen one of our European cousins use one in the warmer months either.

:thumb:...

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It will depend on many factors, whether you have solar panels and your leisure battery capacity.

Are you intending to pitch-up for more than a 2 or 3 days without electric hook-up?

What time of the year? (you will use more power during the short winter days with more lighting, heating & tv)

Do you have any particular needs which would require extra battery power?

We have 1 x 80w panel & 2x 120ah leisure batteries.

We also have a lpg converted 1Kw Honda (saves carrying petrol on board) which we very seldom take with us. I think the only time it has been used was an occasion about 4 years ago when we were on site without elh for two weeks and managed to flatten the starter battery by using a small inverter in the ciggy lighter to run my laptop.

Basically the answer would be NO but get solar if not already fitted.

Brian

:thumb:...

Just to forward on from my reply....I am not talking off lecky (EHU) for 1, 2 days then into a campsite for a few days to plug in again...I am talking 2,3,4 or 5 weeks + in the summer months... So by moving on after 2 to 3 days. with the solar panel and the engine...your batteries should always be topped up...if you are stopping longer you will most likely be on a campsite and should have no need of a genny as the electric will be either in the price or what extra it would cost would be less that the petrol for the genny and of course no noise:thumb:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

What jonandshell do is what most motorhomers do in France.... move around and see France, not stop in one place all the time...so with the solar and the batteries and the engine alternator..you should have enough power (with the correct set up...Mine is 120 solar...2 X 110 leisure batteries..and works fine...I think Jon has a better type of battery):thumb:

OP
OP
Z

Zoophoo

Free Member
Jan 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Dear all, thanks for the very useful info.

I should have said that we do not have solar panels at the moment and only one standard battery, something I need to look into methinks.

The main reason for the generator would be to run the microwave. Quick and easy ding ding food.

Apologies if I have gone of topic, more technical than Europe touring.

Thanks all

Zoophoo.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Dear all, thanks for the very useful info.

I should have said that we do not have solar panels at the moment and only one standard battery, something I need to look into methinks.

The main reason for the generator would be to run the microwave. Quick and easy ding ding food.

Apologies if I have gone of topic, more technical than Europe touring.

Thanks all

Zoophoo.

Zoophoo......it depends on where you stop....if Campsites...then NO genny needed... you will have electric on site

If you are doing Aires.....if possible park near the borne or as close as you can get for your cable or cables to reach....All borne's have one electric point....normally it is 2 euros..for 1 or 2 hours sometimes 3 hours but mainly 1 hour depending on the borne and place in France...this will be 16amp ample to run your microwave.....depending how many times you want to use the micro...depends how much it will cost you..cheaper than a genny and a lot quieter..and less weight to carry..Kipor 2kw is 21 kg plus the petrol inside the genny plus the petrol can and petrol inside the can.plus your tool kit that comes with it.so you could be carrying another 35 to 40kg.....now depending what your Microwave needs to start up in terms of power the 2kw Kipor gives about 1600w...it may it may not run it
also a lot of Aires do have electric..6amp... 10amp ..16 amp...try and search out Aires with electric in the price or for a small fee on top...Buy an Aires book .."All the Aires in France" from Vicarious books you can order online from Folkstone..it is a good book to start with and its in English...or go online ....camping car info

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Is it worth investing in a generator for a months tour.
Zoophoo

Certainly not. They recently installed electricity in Europe.

If you go and annoy them they may well come here and annoy us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back