Dunlop Air suspension (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just had Dunlop Air Suspension fitted by JCD Motor repairs of Sennybridge. It has transformed the handling of the van. So I extend my thanks to Champers & Sheriff for their excellent hospitality and to John for fitting the kit and MOTing the van. :thumb:

Many thanks to TECHNO100 for the detailed fitting instructions and photos. A great help.:thumb:

Marcle leisure for prompt delivery of the product. :thumb:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I am having air suspension fitted today/ tomorrow by AS in Warrington. Looking forward to trying it out!

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I hope it feels as good as mine does:thumb:
Tomorrow, Please let us know what you think of yours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
cheers Taran
I tend to leave mine at 5 bar all the time now unless I need to level up when pitched.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Is the ride smooth enough to nurse that inevitable hangover?::bigsmile:

Were you there watching me?:Smile: How did you know about my bad head Saturday morning?:roflmto: Or am I that predictable? :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
cheers Taran
I tend to leave mine at 5 bar all the time now unless I need to level up when pitched.
Broken Link Removed

I've currently got mine set to 40psi. (Van is empty at the moment). I'll give it a go at 5 bar next time I'm out. once again thanks for your experienced advice.:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My back end is heavy, right on the 2 ton limit.
If you're lighter 40 psi is probably ok

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Off topic Andy, what size are your gaslow bottles?

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I hope it feels as good as mine does:thumb:
Tomorrow, Please let us know what you think of yours.

I picked my mh up this afternoon. First was the speed bumps outside AS. No lurching over as there used to be. Just smooth and jerk free.

The drive back was a revelation. The change in noise level was astonishing. Smooth and quiet. I lowered it right down, same old noise, then back up as a a check. Huge difference.

I found the best was about 3. This was the point at which the cornering was best. It drives so much better, nearly car like ride quality.

Definitely a good thing.

The guys at AS, Cath and Phil, must be about the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. Nothing is too much trouble. Cath collected me from the station and everything was done exactly when they said it would be. I can't recommend them highly enough. Great people!

Another benefit is the ability to level at the push of a button.

Well pleased. Can't wait for a longer journey to give it a real test. I want to see if the sidewind stability is improved.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I wish some one would explain this need for Air Suspension.
Other than leveling up your overloaded van, so as to avoid the tell tale nose up profile, why do you need it?

This is a genuine question.

I have had 2 Mercs. and a Fiat and I can't say that the ride was so bad that I wanted to spend shed loads of money on air suspension.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
First of all, my van (in my ownership) has never been overloaded. I have it weighed on a regular basis. I travel solo and very light. Overtime the springs have sagged (the van is 8 years old now). The handling of the van is not good especially around roundabouts. Due to the large overhang grounding can occur when driving onto a ferry. The sag in the springs also means I cannot lower the steadies when on grass.

As I see it I had two alternatives.

1) New springs, bushes etc which would restore the suspension to how it was new.

2) Air suspension would allow me to set the suspension dependent on load. Allow me to alter the height of the rear prior to battling a ferry ramp or needing more clearance to lower steadies on grass.

This flexibility doesn't cost much more than new springs. Hope my ramblings make sense.

Last edited:

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think you will be pleased with your system if you have had problems with side winds.

I know I was after the Airides were fitted. It was worth it for that alone.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
First of all, my van (in my ownership) has never been overloaded. I have it weighed on a regular basis. I travel solo and very light. Overtime the springs have sagged (the van is 8 years old now). The handling of the van is not good especially around roundabouts. Due to the large overhang grounding can occur when driving onto a ferry. The sag in the springs also means I cannot lower the steadies when on grass.

As I see it I had two alternatives.

1) New springs, bushes etc which would restore the suspension to how it was new.

2) Air suspension would allow me to set the suspension dependent on load. Allow me to alter the height of the rear prior to battling a ferry ramp or needing more clearance to lower steadies on grass.

This flexibility doesn't cost much more than new springs. Hope my ramblings make sense.

That answers my question, thanks.

I hadn't considered sagging springs, as I've never had that problem.

Pete:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back