Free Member
Aug 8, 2012
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantguarde 100
Exp
I'm new
Hi, we have just enjoyed our first weekend in our motorhome at The Shady Oak, Beeston, Cheshire and had a fantastic time! I just need some help with my telly! I bought a Techwood 16" TV & DVD from Morrisons (£79.00) Great picture, decent sound, really chuffed with it for the price. We were hooked up to electric so that was ok, but I'm wondering what lead I will need to run it off the leisure battery (I don't want to blow the whole thing up). In our motorhome we have a 2 flat pin (kind of parallel) socket next to the ariel socket. I've looked on t'internet and can get my hands on a plug to fit this. The lead that goes into the back of the telly is a 4 pin round thing. I have also seen these for sale, with a lighter socket plug in at the other end. My question is, if I buy one of these leads, would I simply be able to cut off the lighter plug in and wire up the 2-pin plug to fit nicely into the socket, or do I need an inverter or something else? Hope someone can help!:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
does your TV have a step down transformer in line from the mains plug to TV?

if not you will need an inverter

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I am ALMOST certain Techwood 16" TV & DVD are not 12v.:Sad: Does it say 12v on the back ? I ask simply because the plug you describe is usually one of the two types on a 12v er :Smile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it is the 16911 model like [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Techwood-16911-16-inch-Ready-Player/dp/B005T6FI9I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt"]This One at Amazon[/ame] then it should take a 12 volt lead like [ame="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160630930981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]This One[/ame]. Your user manual should tell you whether it will do so or not.

As Terry says, though, model numbers can't always be relied on and may be dual voltage from one supplier but not another.

If it does turn out to take 12 volt direct you can change the plug as you suggest but make sure you wire it up (+ & -) correctly.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi, we have just enjoyed our first weekend in our motorhome at The Shady Oak, Beeston, Cheshire and had a fantastic time! I just need some help with my telly! I bought a [HI]Techwood 16" TV & DVD[/HI] from Morrisons (£79.00) Great picture, decent sound, really chuffed with it for the price. We were hooked up to electric so that was ok, but I'm wondering what lead I will need to run it off the leisure battery (I don't want to blow the whole thing up). In our motorhome we have a 2 flat pin (kind of parallel) socket next to the ariel socket. I've looked on t'internet and can get my hands on a plug to fit this. The lead that goes into the back of the telly is a 4 pin round thing. I have also seen these for sale, with a lighter socket plug in at the other end. My question is, if I buy one of these leads, would I simply be able to cut off the lighter plug in and wire up the 2-pin plug to fit nicely into the socket, or do I need an inverter or something else? Hope someone can help!:thumb:

if it is the same as this one (16911) it is 12V.:thumb:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Techwood-16911-16-inch-Ready-Player/dp/tech-data/B005T6FI9I/ref=de_a_smtd"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Techwood-16911-16-inch-Ready-Player/dp/tech-data/B005T6FI9I/ref=de_a_smtd[/ame]

So just wire your plug up with correct polarity.
Check the polarity of your 12V supply with a multimeter if necessary....

then Bob's your father's brother...:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
12v tv

Bought the 19" tv DVD combo,as mentioned by Terry the other week,from ASDA .All I did was bought a 4 Pin to lighter adaptor cut the end off and wired to 2 pin plug in Motorhome.So simple to do just 2 wires and works a treat.
Cheers Terry !

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same predicament with my temporary bedroom TV....i cut off the original lead and wired to a fag lighter plug.

it too has the round 4 pin plug on the mains lead via the black brick transformer.

the four pins are two positive (12v) and two negative.

you MUST get them in the correct order or you will blow the TV.

when/if you cut off the lead from the black brick you will find only two wires...positive and negative.......both pos pins go to one wire and both negs go to the other, connected together pos to pos and neg to neg within the plug.

the pins are marked + & - but very hard to see so check which is which with a volt/multimeter, with the box plugged in, BEFORE cutting off the lead then, after cutting the lead off, use the ohms/continuity function to identify the pos and neg pins to their corresponding wires.

double check everything as you only get one chance to get it right.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It would have been easier to leave the supplied leads intact then if anything goes wrong with tv box it all up and take it back.If you buy lead with 4 pin and cigarette end cut off cig end and find 2 wires,simple!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It would have been easier to leave the supplied leads intact then if anything goes wrong with tv box it all up and take it back.If you buy lead with 4 pin and cigarette end cut off cig end and find 2 wires,simple!
Agreed....i never considered the guarantee as mine is an older tv. :Doh:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

acornjudi

Free Member
Aug 8, 2012
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantguarde 100
Exp
I'm new
Techwood 16911

Just double checked on the back and it is a 16911 saying 12v DC IN on the back! I'm going to send for a cigarette lighter lead off Amazon and rewire to fit in my 2 pin socket as suggested. Many thanks for all your replies, I'll let you know......:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back