Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Just picked up a second hand Vuqube from Ebay, hooked it up this morning and I am impressed.

I have done the dome (Camos 40cm), but like any other roof mounted system it lacks flexibility and is most often useless on shaded pitches, in the South of France this June an expectant crowd of Brits spotted the dome and expected to watch the England match, not with these trees was all I could say.

Before you ask, I have also done the Maplin suitcase and the Multimo, not done Easy Find but everybody that I have spoken to that has actually owned and used it has been less than enthusiastic. I have also watched many a plucky camper out there with his tripod, occasionally joined by his other half trying their best to tune into Corrie - 'like a pig with a rifle' springs to mind.

Enter the Vuqube, Camos Papsa or Avtex equivalent, search reviews and the majority of comments seem to be made by people who question the ability to keep them secure, it is a fair point but reviews from people who actually own and use them are thin on the ground. It should be said that the majority of people who do own them are very positive about them, especially in the USA where owners actually seem to be less bothered by the security issue.

So, here goes, I bought a used one through Ebay yesterday, still in the box with a Maxview receiver, I unpacked it, hooked it up this morning, placed it on a bench in the garden, retreated from the inevitable deluge of rain that followed and stood in the living room, adjusted the elevation, scanned the sky and Bob is truly your uncle, so it works, it is easy to use and it is fast, I am very pleased.

The 'security tag' is not tough enough for my liking and I have sketched and ordered a stainless steel plate that will fix to it without comprising its integrity or portability, that will be with me next week and I will report back as and when.

I have read a review from one owner who has used one as far South as The Dordogne, would like to hear from others who have actually used them in France etc, we will be chasing the weather in September and will do the same.

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Good post. Will be interested in how practical this is. We have an Aldi dish and 12 volt receiver which has been used with some success, but not really in the South of France. Think the dish size is the issue. We do find it "fiddly" to set up. The rubber suction pad supplied was worse than useless and I had a portable traffic sign adapted which gives it a secure base, but nevertheless it tends to stay in the locker! I do like the idea of a roof mounted system but could not justify the price. This item is dear, but not ridiculously so. Share OP concerns about security. Could imagine being immersed late at night in some film and in a moment it could grow legs and walk! Do let us know how you get on.
Steve

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, we did once get a signal on the 'suitcase' on a site in Dijon, prompted me to buy the Multimo.

Sometimes I wonder if it is more the challenge of being ABLE to watch it than the actual watching, given that I am often heard complaining there's nothing on the telly or please give me a break from the Olympics, could be why the family often call me Victor, will report back as and when, thank you for your reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Just picked up a second hand Vuqube from Ebay, hooked it up this morning and I am impressed.

The 'security tag' is not tough enough for my liking and I have sketched [HI]and ordered a stainless steel plate that will fix to it without comprising its integrity or portability,[/HI] that will be with me next week and I will report back as and when.

I have read a review from one owner who has used one as far South as The Dordogne, would like to hear from others who have actually used them in France etc, we will be chasing the weather in September and will do the same.

If it does not compromise the Vuqube's portability, what will the stainless steel plate do to improve the security of the Vuqube, other than make it even heavier..?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I would be interested in hearing on how you get on with this. I currently have a multimo, which gives a good signal when locked on but this can be a pain to do.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
There is a common misconception that stainless steel is heavy, I run a storage business where we use it an awful lot in outdoor security applications, the inherent strength and relative 'hardness' of ss means that a relatively thin plate of stainless with a protruding lip accomodating a reinforced eye to accommodate a security chain or cable can be fixed under the Vuqube feet which feature pretty robust 10mm bolts that screw directly through the outer case and into the metal chassis, they will not rip out. These are easily replaced with security bolts if you think that somebody would be likely to hang around and unscrew all four bolts.

The Vuqube only weighs 4.5kg to start with and the plate is unlikely to weigh more than a tin of beans.

I am not advocating this as a means of deploying the Vuqube on a permanent basis but as a deterrent to a passing, opportunist thief who would shrug off the plastic eyelet fitted as standard but find this a more demanding challenge.

If I arrived at a site where I thought my Vuqube might be stolen with or without a security device attached I would not use it, in fact I would probably move on anyway.

A few years ago we were offered a free refit of our Camos Dome to replace the standard bolts with security bolts as there were reports of domes being stolen from motorhome roofs, nothing is perfectly safe.

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009

I have done the dome (Camos 40cm), but like any other roof mounted system it lacks flexibility and is most often useless on shaded pitches, in the South of France this June an expectant crowd of Brits spotted the dome and expected to watch the England match, not with these trees was all I could say.

Before you ask, I have also done the Maplin suitcase and the Multimo, not done Easy Find but everybody that I have spoken to that has actually owned and used it has been less than enthusiastic. I have also watched many a plucky camper out there with his tripod, occasionally joined by his other half trying their best to tune into Corrie - 'like a pig with a rifle' springs to mind.

Enter the Vuqube, Camos Papsa or Avtex equivalent, search reviews and the majority of comments seem to be made by people who question the ability to keep them secure, it is a fair point but reviews from people who actually own and use them are thin on the ground. It should be said that the majority of people who do own them are very positive about them, especially in the USA where owners actually seem to be less bothered by the security issue.

So, here goes, I bought a used one through Ebay yesterday, still in the box with a Maxview receiver, I unpacked it, hooked it up this morning, placed it on a bench in the garden, retreated from the inevitable deluge of rain that followed and stood in the living room, adjusted the elevation, scanned the sky and Bob is truly your uncle, so it works, it is easy to use and it is fast, I am very pleased.

The 'security tag' is not tough enough for my liking and I have sketched and ordered a stainless steel plate that will fix to it without comprising its integrity or portability, that will be with me next week and I will report back as and when.

watch this thread with interest as we have allso gone the vqube route.tried multimo found it a lot better to set up useing the side of the van as a guide
rather than a flat plane to get your settings from. setup time reduced greatly. the vqube self levels and setup is easy.
security maybe. think just stand within van when left[fits under seat when traveling]so no real problem.
found very easy to damage multimo and if not perfect no signal. vqube avoids this problem allso.

however as have not yet used when away may have different ideas or thoughts

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Vuqube update

There is a common misconception that stainless steel is heavy, I run a storage business where we use it an awful lot in outdoor security applications, the inherent strength and relative 'hardness' of ss means that a relatively thin plate of stainless with a protruding lip accomodating a reinforced eye to accommodate a security chain or cable can be fixed under the Vuqube feet which feature pretty robust 10mm bolts that screw directly through the outer case and into the metal chassis, they will not rip out. These are easily replaced with security bolts if you think that somebody would be likely to hang around and unscrew all four bolts.

The Vuqube only weighs 4.5kg to start with and the plate is unlikely to weigh more than a tin of beans.

I am not advocating this as a means of deploying the Vuqube on a permanent basis but as a deterrent to a passing, opportunist thief who would shrug off the plastic eyelet fitted as standard but find this a more demanding challenge.

If I arrived at a site where I thought my Vuqube might be stolen with or without a security device attached I would not use it, in fact I would probably move on anyway.

A few years ago we were offered a free refit of our Camos Dome to replace the standard bolts with security bolts as there were reports of domes being stolen from motorhome roofs, nothing is perfectly safe.

Just an update on improving the security of the Vuqube, have had some fun messing about with various options and ideas for the base plate.

I have a working model to pick up on Tuesday morning, designed to fit over the reinforcement lugs where the feet bolt to the chassis of the Vuqube, to fit it you simply unbolt the feet from the Vuqube, position the plate and refit the feet, as it fits over the lugs the feet fit back exactly as they were before you removed them.

I intend to simply use the original bolts on the basis that anybody planning to pinch it would have to bring a socket set and undo four bolts to take it away, 'non return' security set screws are an option that I will be exploring when I get a chance to get round to the industrial fasteners trade counter.

The plate has a 'tongue' that projects at 45 degrees from the base, this has a hole to take an 8mm padlock shaft to which a security cable (or chain) can be hitched.

Have been playing about with the Vuqube and although it does not offer the ease of set up that my old Camos Dome did the ability to site it where you want really is a massive advantage, once you get a clear view of the sky the set up is really very easy.

Will post pictures later in the week.

Glyn and Debbie

Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
We have had a vu cube for over twelve months, fantastic bit of kit, I have it in the fiamma box on the roof, leave it there all the time and it works a treat, easy to find a satellite, who needs to spend £1500 on a dome.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Vuqube security

Pictures as promised, I have specified extra holes drilled in the base to allow the mounting of a bracket if I decide to use the bike rack or a tripod in the future.

Opted for 5mm aluminium plate in the end as the lugs that the feet bolt into on the base are 5mm deep and 5mm stainless steel would have been a bit weighty and pricey, could have used 2mm stainless with spacers but this would have increased the labour costs so aluminium it is, the base plate weighs 300g and so far so good.

It cost me £35.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 75
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
  • photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 68
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 75
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 73

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
this post promted me to have a look on ebay, got one that looks as new and is still in warranty for £267:thumb:. Ive yet to pick it up, wont be over that way for a week or so, I hope its easier to set up tham my 85cm maxview dish. I just need to think of ay to fix to the ladder now without buy the expensive maxview kit

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
this post promted me to have a look on ebay, got one that looks as new and is still in warranty for £267:thumb:. Ive yet to pick it up, wont be over that way for a week or so, I hope its easier to set up tham my 85cm maxview dish. I just need to think of ay to fix to the ladder now without buy the expensive maxview kit

I saw that one, paid £350 for mine so a good price although I did get a Maxview Receiver with mine.

I would like to have the option to fit mine to the bike rack as well but am between vans at the moment, agree, the Maxview fittings are way too dear, I had the plate that I have fitted made with a set of countersunk holes so I can bolt a clamp of some kind to it but really want to offer it up to the new van before going down that route, would be grateful if you let me know how you get on.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I saw that one, paid £350 for mine so a good price although I did get a Maxview Receiver with mine.

I would like to have the option to fit mine to the bike rack as well but am between vans at the moment, agree, the Maxview fittings are way too dear, I had the plate that I have fitted made with a set of countersunk holes so I can bolt a clamp of some kind to it but really want to offer it up to the new van before going down that route, would be grateful if you let me know how you get on.

will do, as Ive said wont be collecting for a week or so plenty of time to think about how to do it, then re-think it again when i get it. Im thinking of some kind of quick release platform with a spining plate to rotate the dish on ? possibly with a wing nut to lock the movment?

Ive allready got a humax freesat recorder in the van so I was pleased with the price for dish only.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Just wondering if you had picked up the Qube yet a nd how it was going.

yes picked it up last weekend and used for the first time this weekend at a blowy southport, very impressed with it, very easy to use and lock on to satalite. I just shoved it up on the roof and put a tie rope on to the ladder just in case but it never moved at all despite a real gusty wind blowing.

Havnt had time to to look a making a bracket yet, [STRIKE]I might just go to birmingham next month on the last day with some readies and try to blag one cheap for the show stand? [/STRIKE] my idea dont everybody try it.:thumb:

Hows yours going

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
The new van finally arrived and we took it to the CC site at Moorhampton last weekend, great site, great wardens, this is a site surrounded by trees, my first attempt was from the ground, no luck so I folded out the bike rack, stuck it on there, no problem, I didn't time it but really very quick, very simple.

I don't think this is the kind of site where you are likely to have your Qube pinched but it was nice to know that it was locked to the van, I used a 9mm plastic coated cable and looped i through the bike rack before locking it to the security plate because I already had one for locking up trailers but this may be overkill for some, I have attached some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
The new van finally arrived and we took it to the CC site at Moorhampton last weekend, great site, great wardens, this is a site surrounded by trees, my first attempt was from the ground, no luck so I folded out the bike rack, stuck it on there, no problem, I didn't time it but really very quick, very simple.

I don't think this is the kind of site where you are likely to have your Qube pinched but it was nice to know that it was locked to the van, I used a 9mm plastic coated cable and looped i through the bike rack before locking it to the security plate because I already had one for locking up trailers but this may be overkill for some, I have attached some pictures.

Close up of the padlock in place.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 64

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Close up of the padlock in place.

I spoke to the guys on the maxiew stand at the Lincoln show, they had not brought any of the ladder racks with, I got the opinion they thought they would not sell any? Talking to them it seems the "proper” stand locks on to the ladder and has a circular plater that locks onto the feet. The plate does no swivel so fast set up by pointing the handle north would not always be possible although it would not take that much longer to align the dish to the satellite.

I think I’m going to go down your route and put a metal plate with a strong fixing under the unit to fix a cable to when its not stood on the roof.

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
i have the vu qube and the ladder bracket and round plate

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Le Mans

Hooked up today Le Mans, all of the usual UK channels, out of the garage onto the bike rack (locked on using the aluminium plate) in under 10 minutes.

I run the free Dishfinder app on my Iphone, it gives the elevation and points you roughly in the right direction which is great for looking for a view through trees etc when setting up.

Off to Carcasonne tomorrow, will be interested to see what happens there, picture shows the van and the 'Qube' on site Le Pont Romain just outside Le Mans.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hooked up today Le Mans, all of the usual UK channels, out of the garage onto the bike rack (locked on using the aluminium plate) in under 10 minutes.

I run the free Dishfinder app on my Iphone, it gives the elevation and points you roughly in the right direction which is great for looking for a view through trees etc when setting up.

Off to Carcasonne tomorrow, will be interested to see what happens there, picture shows the van and the 'Qube' on site Le Pont Romain just outside Le Mans.

I wonder what channels you will get down there? so far so good:thumb:

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
St Pere Pescador

Never got to try the Qube in Carcassonne, long story but travelled on through to Aquarius at St Pere Pescador where the weather is glorious, put the Vuqube on the ground at the front of the van, sought out a good shot at the sky betwen the other vans (place is packed) and trees - Bingo, picked up BBC1 & BBC2 both on the Northern Ireland service, various ITVs and all sorts of Channel 5 stations, works fine until about 2pm then they just disappear, heard the same story from a chap with a big dish down here in 2010. Incidentally the Camos Dome I had on the roof of my previous van picked up nothing at all here that year.
Movies for Men and all of its various sub channels stays up as do various shopping channel, Arabic and Bible bashing channels, makes you wonder how they can do it but the BBC cannot or will not.
SKY News works - as does Northern Birds (cant stick David Attenborough) and Essex Babes (hate kids).
Got more entertainment from watching puzzled Germans examining the Vuqube than I did from watching the telly though.
Will play around with some other sats later in the week.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Never got to try the Qube in Carcassonne, long story but travelled on through to Aquarius at St Pere Pescador where the weather is glorious, put the Vuqube on the ground at the front of the van, sought out a good shot at the sky betwen the other vans (place is packed) and trees - Bingo, picked up BBC1 & BBC2 both on the Northern Ireland service, various ITVs and all sorts of Channel 5 stations, works fine until about 2pm then they just disappear, heard the same story from a chap with a big dish down here in 2010. Incidentally the Camos Dome I had on the roof of my previous van picked up nothing at all here that year.
Movies for Men and all of its various sub channels stays up as do various shopping channel, Arabic and Bible bashing channels, makes you wonder how they can do it but the BBC cannot or will not.
SKY News works - as does Northern Birds (cant stick David Attenborough) and Essex Babes (hate kids).
Got more entertainment from watching puzzled Germans examining the Vuqube than I did from watching the telly though.
Will play around with some other sats later in the week.

I wasnt expecting any channels at all that far south:thumb:

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Missed Carcassonne again, torrential rain so kept going, ended up at Vierzon just North of Limoges on a wooded site called Les Grand Pins, not the nicest site in the world......surrounded by tall fir trees (as you would expect with a name like grand pins), thought I would struggle to get a good line of site but used Dishmaster on the Ipad to get an idea of where to put the Qube et voila, all of the main UK channels first time.

Have to be honest and say it is more about seeing what you can get on the tv rather than actually watching it, having found all of those channels we hooked up the Ipad to the telly and watched some stuff we had downloaded to BBC Iplayer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back