Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
aires are just parking places designated for motorhomes, a lot are free some charge for sevices when you use them emptying out is free. There are many different all over europe they are all well marked. apart from that you are allowed to stay on supermarket/ shopping centre carparks or come to that just about anywhere. The French don't have the same hangups about parking that the brits do. So often decent parking in the town and not just on the outskirts.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I agree with that Roger ! If no Aire then any car park will suffice ! I usually only stop in tiny villages so quite often there is no Aire ! The locals are just as welcoming !!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I think with the parking of vans and motorhomes in France the situation is tolerated quite well...I remember parking behind a church in a small town some where just after crossing the Loire near Challones sur Loire..we were having a spot of lunch and the Gendarmes turned up as we were dining..he introduced himself with Bonjour and Ce va?? I said in me best schoolboy French that we didn't speak a lot of French..he apologised and spoke in very reasonable English and asked if we were going to stay for the night..I said Oh no we are just having Lunch and a cuppa..he said if we wanted it would be OK to stay and even showed me in the grounds of the church where the fresh water tap was!!..We offered him a coffee which he politely accepted went and got his other mate..we had coffee and sandwiches..he said the cheese and ham was excellent and the coffee was good...(English cheddar and Tescos ham..and Nescafe instant)...he said tell your Camping Car friends it's OK to park here overnight as the Police do check round here at night just to make sure..Now if I could just remember the name of the place....

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I think with the parking of vans and motorhomes in France the situation is tolerated quite well...I remember parking behind a church in a small town some where just after crossing the Loire near Challones sur Loire..we were having a spot of lunch and the Gendarmes turned up as we were dining..he introduced himself with Bonjour and Ce va?? I said in me best schoolboy French that we didn't speak a lot of French..he apologised and spoke in very reasonable English and asked if we were going to stay for the night..I said Oh no we are just having Lunch and a cuppa..he said if we wanted it would be OK to stay and even showed me in the grounds of the church where the fresh water tap was!!..We offered him a coffee which he politely accepted went and got his other mate..we had coffee and sandwiches..he said the cheese and ham was excellent and the coffee was good...(English cheddar and Tescos ham..and Nescafe instant)...he said tell your Camping Car friends it's OK to park here overnight as the Police do check round here at night just to make sure..Now if I could just remember the name of the place....

Could it have been Bretignolles-sur-Mer? We parked in a car park behind the church and went to a fantastic miniature village on the north side of town. It's not too far from Challones. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure Lou..I remember crossing the Loire across 3 bridges then down through Challones..then along the d961 I think we saw the church and saw the parking area cos at first I thought it was an aires..and I thought yea in here...so we nipped in..there was a small petanque pitch there too..so we just made the most of it and then Viola the Gendarmes arrived...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back