Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Hi all just booked ferry for 4th September going to south of France for a month, can anyone recommend good campsite aires by the sea. Also couple of stops on the way, plan to go on motorway many thanks :Smile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
happen i was you i would stick with 'N' roads. Most 'N' roads are duel carriageway and good yes motorways are quicker but a lot more expensive not only for tolls but for fuel as well, and you miss so much of France on them. Most aires, campsites etc are on or near 'N' roads and 'D' roads on your route down, there are lovely towns with aires as well

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
do not go motorway use route nationale you will see so much of country side, sunshine out nice village stop for x3 days and enjoy, why rush and try to keep speed of flow going on a motorway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all just booked ferry for 4th September going to south of France for a month, can anyone recommend good campsite aires by the sea. Also couple of stops on the way, plan to go on motorway many thanks :Smile:

Go mad and buy the ACSI DVD and Discount book.

Then trust in Google Maps, it won't let you down.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I wouldn't go on the peage. Why pay for motorway and miss all the scenery/nice towns/aires and good places to stop.France is for pootling through and you still get to where you want to go but feel happier and more relaxed when you get there!:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As said.......

Stay off the motorways:Doh:......

enjoy the countryside, stop at your leisure, there are Aires and campsites EVERYWHERE in France.....

The journey is such a big part of the FUN.......:thumb:

OP
OP
simi

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Thanks,
On non motorway roads, going to the South of france, if I put the route in the sat nav it comes out with a route that takes 18hours? which is a lot more, any one got a good route to St Tropez using non motorway roads

OP
OP
simi

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Johnstey

We have the same camper the Knaus 650 on a 06 plate how do you like it, any problems? Its our first Camper and we have it a year,

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks,
On non motorway roads, going to the South of france, if I put the route in the sat nav it comes out with a route that takes 18hours? which is a lot more, any one got a good route to St Tropez using non motorway roads

Everyone will tell you to avoid the toll roads, because driving on the main roads is so much more relaxing in France, you will see a lot more and it's free.
I only use toll roads (or even dual carriageways) if I'm in a hurry.
If you take your time you might find the trip as enjoyable as the destination.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
simi, it's horses for courses.

France is beautiful in most regions, the infrastructure in the main is very well cared for in the main with people being proud of their village/town/region, they try to look after it.

We drove around 750 km last Thursday, all N roads and D roads, it was beautiful indeed.

Chatter, out of the maybe 650 km of N roads only about 80 km was dual carriageway, the rest was what we would normally expect, ranging from wide and open to small and almost lane like (N7 - N151 - N77 and then back again). That is generally our experience in the main.

On another trip we will use only motorways, and if cost is not a factor they are unmatchable for simplicity, ease of use, rest facilities, sometimes scenery you can't get on N roads, and speed.

Some want to get to somewhere to enjoy their destination, the next want to take a week to get somewhere you can drive on an autoroute in a day, some want some of each.

There doesn't appear to be a balanced view regarding autoroutes, and some would have us believe they are inhabited by the devil. They serve a purpose and that purpose may or may not suit you.

Take all the info people on here are offering and make the choices that suit you.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
http://www.france-voyage.com/circuits/

Have a look at this site ... There is a little english flag to have it in your language. I did not try it , but may be it coud help you to make your own route???

Let us know what you think!

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

OP
OP
simi

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Thank You all so much for your valuable output, we will let you know what we decide. Love this site everyone is so helpful :Smile:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
(I am replying to this on the assumption that you are new to it so please don't take offence if I'm teaching you to suck eggs)

We've just returned from a similar trip taking five weeks in all. We live in the midlands and crossed to Calais (one way ticket to avoid being tied to a return date). We only paid one toll (by accident) apart from the one on the Pont De Normandie. We took about a week to get down and another to come back to Calais. Stayed alongside my brother's boat in South Of France when we got there.

Not sure whether you have been to France before but the first thing that we realised when we first travelled there was just how vast a country it is. It may not be apparent by looking at the map but there is an awful lot of it. Also it has to be said that, as others have mentioned, it really is worth taking time to see as much of it as you can unless there is a pressing need to career down motorways. I did do a trip once where I did neeed to go via motorway/autobahn and it was just tiring, nothing more.

Our recent trip consisted of driving in the general direction we needed to go then finding a nearby aire whenever we felt like it. It's a relaxing and interesting way to travel. During the five weeks we saw such a variety of places: Villages, towns, cities, beaches and plenty of countryside. We passed through the alps and pyrenes area and had weather with temperatures similar to britain in the north and HOT mediterranean temps in the south.

You may find this thread useful

Broken Link Removed

particularly my comments about gas.

Hope this is useful but if you have anything you're not sure about am very willing to share our experiences.

Wyn

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it comes out with a route that takes 18hours?

One thing becomes obvious when you do it - France is quite a big country.

18 hours, say 3 x 6 hour days, sounds about right to me.

Sort of depends on if you "want to get there" ( that's me usually ) or "want to chill out and experience France".

I'd be thinking Calais, Trois, Grenoble, St Trop.

But since St Trop is a bit posh you'll not find a whole lot of camping and anything in that region will cost an arm and a leg.

The ACSI DVD shows 3 sites near Port Grimaud.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back