Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi Funsters

Just back from a two week trip which included an overnight at Cite Europe. While settling down to sleep in the bed nearest the habitation door (all other family members fast asleep) I heard noises outside and someone tried to open the hab door:whatthe:.

Needless to say that the remainder of the night was spent fully clothed with one eye on the door, I didn't want to worry any of the family so I maintained a lone watch.

The rest of the holiday was great :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Glad you had no further problems and all went well.

We always make our overnight stops at the Ticket Office car park at Calais ferry port.
It's a little noisy at times, but you won't be alone and security is much better than on any of the local aires. Plus it's free!

The trouble with the Calais area is that it is full of lowlife trying to get over here. Nicking stuff is what these illegal migrants need to do to feed themselves.:Angry:

We have witnessed attempted thefts on the beach aire before. It was a gang of youths nicking bikes off the back of motorhomes. Don't worry, I soon ruined their night out!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I heard noises outside and someone tried to open the hab door

A couple of years ago I added nylon webbing straps with quick release clips to my two boot doors and my habitation area door. They're all anchored to something solid like the back wall or the kitchen unit, so anyone forcing the lock would still have a bugger of a job opening the door. This year we hit on the idea of hanging two large metal drain cover lifting handles from the strap on the hab door in case the strap was snapped. That way there'd be an almighty racket when they hit the floor, in addition to the alarm sounding.

Can't say I've ever seen any shifty types round the beach/port aire at Calais but I felt decidedly uncomfortable at Cite Europe during daytime before they shifted the economic migrants' illegal camp near Sangatte. If we can't get in at the beach/port aire, our first preference is the Bassin Ouest parking area (near the marina) a couple of streets back from the seafront. It was quite busy with camper vans last Saturday.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Funsters

Just back from a two week trip which included an overnight at Cite Europe. While settling down to sleep in the bed nearest the habitation door (all other family members fast asleep) I heard noises outside and someone tried to open the hab door:whatthe:.

Did you smell gas ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Stayed Friday night before 9 a.m ferry. No problems, several vans dead quiet.
Bed made up and completely naked :winky:

Quite tired after 3 shopping trolleys full of booze to stash

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of years ago I added nylon webbing straps with quick release clips to my two boot doors and my habitation area door. They're all anchored to something solid like the back wall or the kitchen unit, so anyone forcing the lock would still have a bugger of a job opening the door. This year we hit on the idea of hanging two large metal drain cover lifting handles from the strap on the hab door in case the strap was snapped. That way there'd be an almighty racket when they hit the floor, in addition to the alarm sounding.

that reminds me. I have a rape alarm and a chain to fit on my sliding door.

The rest of the van has deadlocks but I can't lock the sliding door one from inside...

What I am doing is fitting a chain to the sliding door so I can open it a bit if needed. There will be a rape alarm velcro'd to the door also so if it is opened it will wake me up (it's right next to my ear)...

I really should get round to getting them installed...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back