Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Well I decided to preempt my trip this weekend by hitching up the new trailer, driving Libby on and going to fill up with petrol - well you other RV'ers know what I mean, put 100 litres in - then topped up the lpg.

Could not believe how easy it was to reverse and allthough you could tell the trailer was there, it never really affected the Winnie at all.

I had some concern over the wheel straps and have attached piccies of how Mike whom I bought the trailer from showed me at the front and a piccie of the normal method at the rear. It was a great relief that Libby just sat there. I suppose you old hands would all say of course! But for first timers at towing our pride and joy it was really a big relief!

DSCF1795.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

Front Strap

DSCF1797.jpg

DSCF1798.jpg

Rear Strap

DSCF1792.jpg

The Team!

Regards

Chris

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Nice set up Chris but wouldnt you rather have a nice A Frame set up ??? :Eeek:

(Its been a while since weve had a good heated debate on A frames dont you think :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

They are legal......or are they???:Doh: :cry: :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

J.C.

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
American RVs
Nice set up Chris but wouldnt you rather have a nice A Frame set up ??? :Eeek:

(Its been a while since weve had a good heated debate on A frames dont you think :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

They are legal......or are they???:Doh: :cry: :Angry:

Dazzer................Behave! :roflmto:

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Linda,

Of course many thanks to you for the bits which where a doddle to put on the Winnie. Had to run an additional cable for the fog light as this was still not sorted. All OK now though.

Hi Dazzer,

What you still own that motor! (Must be tooooo much money! Best we discuss a muuuucccch better price:Smile:)

I reckon schools still out on the A Frame debate. I read somewhere that it is illegal but it is not the reason I went for a trailer. Libby is, as you can see a classic car and was two years in the building with a new shell. I want her to stay as good as she is for as long as possible. I am sure I have put piccies of the carcoon I keep her in before, but added them below in case not. Oh and the classic insurance only gives me so many miles and I want to DRIVE them all!

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1035.jpg

Regards

Chris

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
RV's looking nice Chris:winky::thumb:

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks John,

Going to do a little work on her and decide later in the year if we should sell or keep.

Only used it twice last year which is criminal. Hopefully the Mini should make it a more useful tool!

Regards

Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi chris,

i used to be a recovery driver in a previous life and can honestly say i would only use the method in pic 3 (rear end) and i always used a strap on each wheel but when its someone elses pride and joy you can never overkill plus i'd be needing a new job if i lost one.:Doh::cry:

i'v had trannies and range-rovers tied on like this and never had a loose strap but check for movement/tightness after a few miles and PLEASE put some soft packing(old rags/gloves) between wheel and strap as the straps can osolate at speed and rub on the wheel causing horrible black rub marks on the alloys or take the paint off steel wheels.:Angry:
always strap both sides if you only use method three. at the rear if you only have two straps or the car can move sideways and loosen the straps.

i remember one incident where the idiot operator only put on one strap, on a front wheel !!!, and the car moved to the side of the truck flatbed(nothing to stop the rear moving) and eventually went over the edge. bet he had one hell of a job getting that back on.:roflmto:

john.

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John,

Are you saying that the method of wrapping the strap over the tyre is not good?

I was under the impression - led to believe - that this was the best method and the other, the one you say you use was a second best!

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tony,

Totally sealed jiffy bag! Blown air to keep the Mini dry and comfortable. Helps me sleep easy knowing my baby is comfortable at night!

Regards

Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John,

Are you saying that the method of wrapping the strap over the tyre is not good?

I was under the impression - led to believe - that this was the best method and the other, the one you say you use was a second best!

Regards

Chris

hi chris,
both methods are completely acceptable but if you look at any recovery vehicle you will see the version i used. i dont know why but it seems to be the prefered method. maybe cos its fully adjustable for size of vehicle.
we used the 'round the tyre'(pic 1 ) method with the spectacle lift frame but only due to the nature of the frame, nowhere else to fix straps.
i recovered a 24ft motorhome from scarborough to warwick on the spec frame due to its size and weight using this method and it was perfectly safe if not a little scary (back of trousers full of little maltesers :ROFLMAO:) due to it being 40ft long overall and no rear view cos of width. a real nightmare overtaking slow HGVs.

john.

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John,

Many thanks for that. I will try both methods this weekend when we go away. Fortunately the rear view camera will record everything!

It will be relatively simple to move over to your preferred method as I only need one additional strap thingy as I bought another two today at Devizes trailers.

I am at a loss to explain why Mike, whom I bought the trailer off would have used the over the tyre method as the only difference is the strap. In the bags he gave me I could strap three cars on the trailer - if they would fit of course!

Regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back