Newbie wanting to drive through Europe (1 Viewer)

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
OK, I am new to all of this - my family (who live in Italy) are seasoned motorhomers but we arent. We have just purchased a (1993) Talbot Express Landliner and are just starting to get some use out of it. Its in good condition and been well maintained and serviced.
We are planning to drive from the Midlands next year into France and down into Northern Italy to meet up with our folks.

So, I guess this is where you come in! I'd be grateful of any tips, things to avoid, experiences (good and bad) about doing this! Oh, and we're taking our small dog, Lola!

Additionally, any pointers to any good books on the subject or websites etc?

Planning ahead!! :winky:

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
sure is

Hi Catherine
Yes its a 2.5 litre diesel. Thanks for that info, i'll have a look!

Thanks Steve :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Are you in a hurry to get there or do you prefer the scenic slower route through Europe?

Has your dog got a Pet Passport?

:france::france::france:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are planning to drive from the Midlands next year into France and down into Northern Italy to meet up with our folks.

Really terrible plan.

Do it NOW.

Search on Garda, loads of us always going that way. From Calais two stops and you are there. About 700 miles to Italy, nothing at all. The Romans did it and they walked.

Simples.

Get your finger out and be there for weekend.

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Plan!

Really terrible plan.

Do it NOW.

Search on Garda, loads of us always going that way. From Calais two stops and you are there. About 700 miles to Italy, nothing at all. The Romans did it and they walked.

Simples.

Get your finger out and be there for weekend.

Haha! Hilarious! Yes, wish I could do it now as all my lot are down there doing it now too! Want to get a few little trips under my belt first and get there - mind you the speed of the thing, the Romans would have walked it quicker! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Are you in a hurry to get there or do you prefer the scenic slower route through Europe?

Has your dog got a Pet Passport?

Thanks Roryboys Dad! I think we'd like to get down there over 3 or 4 days - so not so much of a rush, if you catch my drift!

We have been looking at the directgov site in relation to taking the dog abroad but not much info on the pet passport yet - although I know she will need one :Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
get your self a good satnav snooper 7000 or similar
it will keep you away from low bridges and weight restrictions en rout.

an up to-date map system is a must

get across the water and just enjoy the drive

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Gianolio - It might be a good idea to take your dog to the Vet and start the Pet Passport process as soon as possible.

It doesn't take too long to get the Pet Passport but you need to know how much it costs to obtain one.

This is my opinion and others may disagree but I consider the Eurotunnel crossing to be more 'dog friendly' than the Ferry option - although it does cost more - but is much quicker.

Get an idea of your route by using - www.viamichelin.co.uk - to plan your journey and then look at towns and villages en-route that seem to have something that interests you.

Then get back and ask more questions.

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Thanks for that again, Roryboys Dad!
We'll have a chat with the vet so at least get things started and know we we stand with current costs etc.
Interesting in regards to the tunnel. Hadnt really thought about it and was just going to do the ferry. Do they allow you to keep dogs in the camper, or is there a 'holding area'?
The michelin site looks good to and gives a good rough guide to fuel costs so will have a closer look at that.

Many thanks again:thumb:

OP
OP
Gianolio

Gianolio

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
Tamworth UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie!
Sat Nav

Great, hadn't:Smile: thought about the height bit!

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Wish we were going again
I have family in northern Italy, (Trieste) right on the yugo border
we have taken our dog "Toby" abroad with us it is so easy on the tunnel, they stay with you in the camper, only takes 35 mins and your off the other end, no waiting about for ferry's.
They do drive a bit mad in Italy, just need to go for it.
have fun:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
route i always take to the italian lakes is
France , Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy,i go that way and just pay for the swiss motorway vingette

Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Just got our dog's passport it was £54, we were advised to get another jab in 3 weeks just to make sure it had taken, that's another £25 or have a blood test done
regards
Tony

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Not that much to it really...

I bought my elderly Hymer in July and it's my first motorhome.

I am writing this from a camping in Crete - 3 ferries, one 32 hours.

My two dogs are with me and I travel alone.

Get the dog to the vet as the rules were simplified from January 1st of this year.

Rabies jab and blood test then off you go!

You need to visit a vet on the way home for worming - no less than 24 hours and no more than 5 days before you catch your return crossing.

DFDS is only 2 hours from Dover to Dunkirk and the dogs don't get stressed

It's not that hard really so I'd just get on a do it.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I'm glad I came across this thread - I will be travelling alone with my collie dog Storm (stormed into my life 7 1/2 years ago and been storming around it ever since!) and wondered how it worked with ferries and the tunnel.

There was mention of booking kennels on the ferry - ChrisF did your dogs just stay in the van during the crossing?

Will be getting the passport etc done in November, ready for next April when I hope to purchase my first motorhome! Can't wait!

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Dogs on ferries

With DFDS the dogs stay in the vehicle during the crossing.

On the Anek Venice - Patras route the dogs can remain in the vehicle, with you, during the crossing, if you choose Open Deck (Camping On board). You simply stay with the vehicle on the designated part of the car deck where there are showers and toilets and you can see the sea! It was very pleasant. As a non-camping onboard traveller, you can use the kennels up on deck. There is no need to book kennels and I do not even think it is possible to do so!

Other operators allow Open Deck travel on certain international routes to Greece.

There is no Open Deck option on the Anek Souda (Crete) - Piraeus route although the dog can either stay in the vehicle (where it may be very hot) or travel in the cages provided on deck.

I have known some, usually smaller dogs, being allowed to travel in the owner's cabin. These pets are usually in a carrier so would be difficult for a Great Dane!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My dogs and cats have travelled to and from France for the last 5 years and things I've learned are:
They are more relaxed and peaceful together in the vehicle so if you have one pet the tunnel might be better. Alternatively, use a travel crate (maybe borrow one) for the first couple of crossings just in case the dog should decide to eat the inside of the vehicle!

Passport sequence is: Microchip > Rabies jab. 3 weeks later the dog/cat/ferret can re-enter the UK. No blood test necessary. Only dogs need a worming tablet from vet ( more than 24 hours but less than 120 hours of travel/entry TO UK) Not needed for cats or for any animals travelling TO France/Spain.

At French port (on returning to UK) you will be handed chip reader. Pass it slowly down the dogs neck to shoulder blades--you'll hear the bleep as it reads the chip. Don't panic if you can't find it first go!!! It IS there and you will find it. The clerk will check the chip reader against number in pet passport and check that the rabies jab is in date and that the worm tablet has been given. ALWAYS check the vet's signature, stamp, date and time are correct. I've had a vet put the wrong date before today.

In the UK rabies jabs can be given for 1 year, 2 years or 3 years. 3 years sometimes has to be ordered in.

If the dog or cat seems nervous in the crate cover it with a light blanket/towel. The semi darkness will make them calmer.

Enjoy the travel--avoid the toll roads. Use Aires or campsites that suit you/ you family.

Buy a good sat nav--saves a lot of stress, I've found.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thank you ChrisF and Hollyberry - very useful replies. Will file it away with all the other information I am trying to assimilate!

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Dogs in Italy

As a general rule dogs are not welcome on Italian campsites. Please check very carefully with any sites you wish to book ahead.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back