Lights on in Habitation area whilst driving (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
What's people's view on this ?

We did some late night driving last week and the children were up playing some dodgy 80's board games... So you can imagine that they needed to use the habitation lights that were positioned above the main table, they were happy = we were happy:Smile:

As we have no rear view through the van it really didn't bother me although we did get some very jealous looks from passing motorists:ROFLMAO:

Just got thinking later on that maybe you're not supposed to use these lights whilst driving ???

They did not interfere with my vision at all although I could imagine that they would if you needed to see through the vehicle, not the case for me.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Bus's drive with lights on in the habitation/passengers area, Nuff said:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as do some taxis minibusses, limos and coaches, so sure it should be ok if it cant distract the driver or affect night vision

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Buses have their interior lights on all the time. We can't see a problem and do it all the the time also.
Having said that, you need to be sensible and ensure that other road users see no more than a 'glow' rather than a direct light to save confusion and ensure your vehicle shows lights as per its legal requirements.
The 'mood' lighting above our lockers in our van casts a good level of illumination for that purpose.
Of course, if you have a Brit NCC compliant MH, all this is acedemic due to fact everything switches off when you start the engine!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Buses have their interior lights on all the time. We can't see a problem and do it all the the time also.
Having said that, you need to be sensible and ensure that other road users see no more than a 'glow' rather than a direct light to save confusion and ensure your vehicle shows lights as per its legal requirements.
The 'mood' lighting above our lockers in our van casts a good level of illumination for that purpose.
Of course, if you have a Brit NCC compliant MH, all this is acedemic due to fact everything switches off when you start the engine!

Ah yes forgot about that, our Euro van is still live when we drive.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Ridgeway. That's just what I had in my mind when I bought my van,however it's British and no 12 v electrics whilst on move.If anyone knows how to bypass this I would love to know how.
Anyway back to the subject in hand rear lights are not allowed in cars when on the move ,not sure about MHS however when I have this luxury I think I'd have the curtains closed just to be sure

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ridgeway. That's just what I had in my mind when I bought my van,however it's British and no 12 v electrics whilst on move.If anyone knows how to bypass this I would love to know how.
Anyway back to the subject in hand rear lights are not allowed in cars when on the move ,not sure about MHS however when I have this luxury I think I'd have the curtains closed just to be sure
On a 2003 Autotrail, the red/yellow cable at the Sargent unit carries out that function.
Give it the chop and you will retain your habitation electrics on the move!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

fit a switch to cut power to the relay......... trace your 12v feed back towards the battery, find the relay and splice a switch inline so you can choose to override

edit ......or if the same as above fit switch to suggested wire

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not recommended to drive with interior lights on.... at night..:Sad:

A lot of busses & coaches have a concertina type blind that drop`s down, whether they choose to use them is up to them...

But you have your children to think of... so why not....

Get a bit of thin curtain and a couple of bit`s of velcro and fix it behind the drivers seat attached to the bulkhead.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back