Stop needed going south after QE2 bridge (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Overnight spot needed for tomorrow night please!

We'll be travelling south and when we get over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge ideally we want a stop for the night somewhere after that - does anyone know of anywhere to stop for the night to get some kip? May go further down towards the coast if there's somewhere 'nice'! :Cool:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Overnight spot needed for tomorrow night please!

We'll be travelling south and when we get over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge ideally we want a stop for the night somewhere after that - does anyone know of anywhere to stop for the night to get some kip? May go further down towards the coast if there's somewhere 'nice'! :Cool:
If youre heading for Dover go to Marine Drive Dover, good overnight spot, used it many times myself.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Canterbury P&R is open Sunday while the Olympics are on
Must be the New Dover Road one. a lovely stop for £2.50

New Dover Road Park & Ride
New Dover Road
Canterbury CT1 3EJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks guys, but we're not going abroad this time. Blush:

We're going across to the Isle of Wight on Thursday (for a week before returning to go to the Western show::bigsmile:), so are going down a few days early hence why we want a stop just below the QE2 bridge (not literally :Doh:!), or pretty much directly south of it, the idea being that we'll explore the area round there and the English Heritage properties (seeing as we're members) and then will make our way to Portsmouth for our evening crossing.:thumb:

Soooooo, anybody know of anywhere??:RollEyes:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
So if your going to the IOW..why are you crossing the QEII bridge..asuming by you profile your in East Yorks why not come across The M62 onto the M1 go South..come off the M1 at J18 Crick and go down the A43/M40/A34 down towards Southampton/Pompey..however you may have a touring itinery to go elsewhere...Just a thought!!!...

Drop me a PM and I'll send you a route with plenty of places to stop...

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We're going across to the Isle of Wight on Thursday (for a week before returning to go to the Western show::bigsmile:),

HI Minx,
If you need any suggestions on what to do or where to go when on the island , (just ask )as I live on the island , but will be away 10th thro to 20th.
Terry (FIDGET):Cool:

PS might see you at Shepton Mallet show if you go

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We wanted to go down the route we have as we plan to look at some stuff that we haven't seen before in the South East

Yesterday we stayed at the EH (English Heritage) Lullingstone Roman Villa car park and went into it this morning, after which we went to EH Upnor Castle (fort), then into Rochester to see the EH castle there and the cathedral (a very nice chap let us stop in the coach car park for nowt as we couldn't get into anything else due to the height barriers, although we did find out later that there is parking along the river next to the castle). Tonight we're at Canterbury on the P&R 'aire' off New Dover Road (note this is the P&R which is south east, not south west (£2.50 for 24 hours) and very nice it is too.

Tomorrow we'll go into Canterbury on the bus and then tootle along to Deal castle and probably EH Walmer castle and gardens, then end up at Dover for the night and go into the castle on Wednesday along with the EH Abbey and battlefield at Battle (near Hastings), can't remember what we're doing after that - so long as we're on the ferry to the Isle of Wight on Thursday night we'll be fine!:thumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
HI Minx,
If you need any suggestions on what to do or where to go when on the island , (just ask )as I live on the island , but will be away 10th thro to 20th.
Terry (FIDGET):Cool:

PS might see you at Shepton Mallet show if you go

Hi Terry, any suggestions for 'must visit/see' places would be great. Its 9 years since we were last on the island - I remember visiting Osborne House, taking a short bus up to a viewing point for the Needles (brilliant bus driver!), a great beach on the southern coast at which we spent a wonderful hot and sunny afternoon, going to a garlic farm, oh and also visiting a great little fish and chip shop a couple of times :Blush: but not much else.

We'll be staying at 'The Bungalow' CL next to the golf course at Freshwater for a week and hope to be able to see some of the lovely water craft when Cowes week starts.

Is there anywhere to stay near to Fishbourne for the night? We'll be getting in around 10.00 pm so don't particularly want to have to traverse the island to the CL until the next day. We're hoping to be able to stay somewhere near the port - is that possible?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm sure there are some gems that we'll miss otherwise.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
So pleased you like our P&Ride I love it and will stay there when friends stay as they go to the ferries or tunnel.
Im so proud of our council for providing the Aires and wish more councils would copy it.:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
By eck lad you would have seen more of Kent in a few days than I have seen in my life time and I live here:ROFLMAO: Enjoy the Isle of widget:thumb:

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
Yes we love the P and Ride at Canterbury will be using it today but not in the van , I did take the van last Christmas because my daughter phoned to tell me the P and ride was full and the motor home part only had to vans in it :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
By eck lad you would have seen more of Kent in a few days than I have seen in my life time and I live here:ROFLMAO: Enjoy the Isle of widget:thumb:

Widget ... I'm a girlie :lipstick: not a lad :drink:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Went to Dover Castle today - wow what a place! It seems to have 'changed' since we were last there (about 10 years ago). A lovely very full day - we arrived at 9.20 am and were let into the car park at around 9.30 am, after breakfast, we were down the first lot of tunnels by 10.15 am! We only 'stopped' for 30 mins for lunch - land didn't leave until 5.10 pm - lots to see there and enjoyed chatting to a chap 'in character' as a longbow huntsman with a lovely deerhound in tow.

Had we had to pay it would've cost us £15 each but with our EH passes it was 'free' (thanks to Tesco :thumb: ).

We managed to get to see the War tunnels this time - last time it had to be pre-booked and had limited numbers, and as we didn't get there until after lunch, all the tours were fully commited by the time we arrived. We also went into the Hospital tunnels - both lots were very interesting and we would have spent more time down them but with the 'audio/visual' filmshows etc and being hurded by guides that wasn't possible. Had a nice lunch overlooking the English channel - they park motorhomes right at the front of the barracks overlooking the straits and you can see across to France in the distance - great!

We took the dogs for a potter along part of the wall, then went on our own into the Grand Tower (castle) and got lost a few times! :Blush: Found our way out eventually and saw the Roman lighthouse remains and St Mary's church. Finally went into the medieval tunnels and back along the walls. Very tired from all the walking we'd done but we'd had a really nice day pottering around and the weather was quite nice too - very misty for most part but quite warm with it, lovely and sunny in the afternoon and a spot of rain over tea-time.

Rather than stay at Dover's Marine Parade again which was a bit noisy, we've travelled along and are currently parked right up against the sea wall at St Mary's Bay, between Dymchurch and Romney Marsh on 'Coast Drive' all on our lonesome. Dogs have finally had a paddle in the sea and a play on the sand, yes I did say sand - we thought we'd never find any, just load of pebbles/stones.

By this time tomorrow we'll be on the Isle of Wight.:sin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back