Under control? On leads? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Not asking this to upset the dog owning community as I'm a dog owner myself but I'm just curious.
Most sites say to have your dog on a lead at all times. Fair enough. A couple of places have said that your dog must be under control at all times. Fair enough. A lot of the time though I see people with extending leads, up to 8 metres long, walking around with their dog/dogs. I have on a couple of occasions seen people struggle to get their dog back to their side due to the fact that the lead is so long. So although the extending leads meet the "dogs on lead" rule they may not be fully under control. What's other peoples thoughts on this?:Smile:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
We have them, but our dogs are quite small so easy to haul in quickly, mind you Billy will come to heel with one word:thumb:, Pippy seems to think the more I shout the further she has to go:Doh:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Control means that they do as they need to. I get annoyed when people allow their dogs to encroach on my pitch; one even started to cock its leg up the motorhome wheel; short shrift rebuke issued and no apology followed either.:Angry:

We are dog owners and like to think very responsible, even cleaning up after him on public woodland paths where many just leave it to nature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I wouldn't leave Ellie's doings on a path, but if they are to the side on scrubland I don't worry. You have rabbit's, foxes', sheep's, horses' and all other doings all over the place, so I don't think we should be too phobic. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not asking this to upset the dog owning community as I'm a dog owner myself but I'm just curious.
Most sites say to have your dog on a lead at all times. Fair enough. A couple of places have said that your dog must be under control at all times. Fair enough. A lot of the time though I see people with extending leads, up to 8 metres long, walking around with their dog/dogs. I have on a couple of occasions seen people struggle to get their dog back to their side due to the fact that the lead is so long. So although the extending leads meet the "dogs on lead" rule they may not be fully under control. What's other peoples thoughts on this?:Smile:

Couple of weeks ago I was cycling on a path on a site, there was this trip wire across it, tied one end to their caravan, the other end to a big dog. I saw it, they saw me and went into panic mode. Tossers. I could have been one of the many little kids tearing around looking all over the place.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There seem to be more and more places (even including remote woodlands) where 'dogs must be on leads' for no good reason. Having a dog on a lead is no guarantee that it is under proper control (as o.p. mentions re extending leads) or that its owner will clear up its crap. :RollEyes:

Personally, I don't like extending leads and won't use them (altho' I can appreciate their usefulness if you have a dog that has a bad recall). If my dog is on a lead I expect her to be walking to heel not pulling ahead of me. So I much prefer areas where 'dogs must be under control' as she can then run free but is under my voice control. :Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I so wish I had an obedient dog like you Maz. If Ellie is on the lead, she just sits and has to be dragged along like a log. If she is off the lead, she just sits and waits at the car till you come back. It seems that big dogs are better behaved. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I so wish I had an obedient dog like you Maz. If Ellie is on the lead, she just sits and has to be dragged along like a log. If she is off the lead, she just sits and waits at the car till you come back. It seems that big dogs are better behaved. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Ivy is renaming her dog "woodbine" 'cos she takes it out for a drag.

To me, "under proper control" means just that. On a lead.
A lead being a proper one, not one of the extending excuses for leads.
The whole point of a lead is to excercise control,the extending things offer no control whatsover.
How can a thin bit of string 8 or 10 metres long be said to allow an owner to excercise control?
I've seen an out of control dog on one of these strings have a go at a kid.
Kid got bit before the owner could gain control.
The owner then maintained the dog was good and the kid "must have annoyed it".
Owner should have been heavily fined, dog put down.
I am not a dog hater, far from it. I just dont subscribe to this "dogs come before people" way of thinking.
Dogs should be on a proper lead in any public place.

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
My two cockers have extending leads which are kept short on-site or footpaths. I only allow them to go to the full extent if they are not going to bother anyone or get into trouble.

I was going to book to go to a small music festival Link Removed but the camp-site's rules on dogs are too rigid. They are not allowed to poo on-site even if you clear up straightaway. Impossible with two elderly dogs unless I put nappies on them until we are out of the gate!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with John, Dogs should be on non extending leads in any place where the public is present. I have friends who take their dogs on dead end country lanes, the type that only tractors ever go up. I think this is suitable for dogs to run free. But public footpaths, woodland walks and any place you would expect the public to be are not.

I know there are well behaved, well trained dogs out there who respond immediately to every order no matter what is distracting them. But how do we say if your dog is well behaved you don't need a lead? We can't distinguish so the rule should be a blanket rule.. Dogs must be on a lead at all times.

As for people not cleaning up after their dog the fine should be £1000. That might act as a deterrent to the minority who don't.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007

I agree with above comments short leads should be banned in public places also dog mess should ALWAYS be picked up there is no excuse were it is , a friend of mine who was a very good rugby player lost his leg because of someone to lazy to clean their dogs mess up.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Totally agree with the cleaning up of dog mess. But what about cats? They come in to your garden, scrape, do what they have to , flick some dirt at it and leave. Not the best...... Also what about the people that go about spitting or spitting out chewing gum. Not very hygenic practices either.:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Nope! This is all going a bit too far. It is lovely to see people in the park throwing balls and frisbees for their dogs and the children running in among them. It's just all good family fun. Not everybody lives near countryside where they can exercise their dogs off the lead, so are you saying that people who live in towns and have dogs can never let them off the lead? Some dogs are just full of vim, viguor and irrepressible joy and it would be cruel to keep them constantly tethered and not allowed to run free. I really think this country would be losing something valuable if that became law. ::bigsmile:
Ivy

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Nope! This is all going a bit too far. It is lovely to see people in the park throwing balls and frisbees for their dogs and the children running in among them. It's just all good family fun. Not everybody lives near countryside where they can exercise their dogs off the lead, so are you saying that people who live in towns and have dogs can never let them off the lead? Some dogs are just full of vim, viguor and irrepressible joy and it would be cruel to keep them constantly tethered and not allowed to run free. I really think this country would be losing something valuable if that became law. ::bigsmile:
Ivy

Ivy - Can you imagine Rosie on the lead at all times ? :Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I was going to book to go to a small music festival Link Removed

I went to this camp site last year and found the pitches too close together and the facilities dirty and disorganised - the showers gobbled up coins! It may be in a great location, but it was expensive for what it offered, and from where we were pitched we could hardly see the sea! The festival may be good value, hard to tell, but I shan't be going back to Henry's. I don't remember seeing any dogs there, but the hens poo everywhere!

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I wouldn't leave Ellie's doings on a path, but if they are to the side on scrubland I don't worry. You have rabbit's, foxes', sheep's, horses' and all other doings all over the place, so I don't think we should be too phobic. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Don't forget the Itinerants !!!
Not you Pete !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Dogs should be kept on leads even in the Countryside.

We, those that saw it, laughed, at ,

"FENTON!! Jesus Ch***t Fenton!"

But imagine if it were sheep? Or Cows? and there was an angry Farmer doing a bit of rodent control, a 22 under his arm?

He would be legally justified in shooting your Furry Person:Sad:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We love dogs - detest some owners - extending leads on camp sites are not keeping them under control we have had items pee'd on by dogs while the owner is busy jawing and the dog some 6 metres away is doing its own thing . Long wander leads from an awning are also not keeping them under proper control. People often allow dogs to run out of sight and out of control on 'waste' or Moorland and wonder why dogs should be on a lead - a dogs natural instinct is to hunt. Much of the moorland in the UK is a natural habitat for ground nesting birds - some quite rare - many farmers have grazing riights on moorland and therefore young animals are about . The fact there is a public footpath over the area does not mean it is all open for wandering on - a public footpath is generally 1 metre wide and that is the part that truly has public access and that includes the dog. Most times there is no problem and many land owners have no issues but if there is a sign saying dogs on a lead please acknowledge that - there is probably a very good reason for it even though you may not understand or see it.:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Owner should have been heavily fined, dog put down.

other way round in that case!!

Owners of dogs are responsible for the dogs behavior at all times, dogs are animals and can revert to basic instinct for no apparent reason - not apparent to us humans that is

Weve had a number of dogs over the years, all bar one (one of the current ones) were rescues, having no idea about their background we always assume there is a trigger somewhere so keep them on leads, enough length to let them sniff about and the like, but no more than a few feet from us and likewise always assume other dogs have a trigger too. When a Dog is on a lead the flight response is not an option so fight is the normal response if triggered - even if its never done it before

We are fortunate to have open fields etc at the back of the house so the dogs can run to their hearts content, and there is no public access so no worries about another dog being around (cows yes...but not dogs!), everywhere else they stay on the lead, no worries then other than watching out for other dog owners who think there dog is friendly and let it off the lead or dont have it under 'control' on a long lead...and then meeting one of our two triggers something...

The aforementioned current one has a thing about big dogs - typical small dog syndrome, and even thought that Haggers black bear was fair game......theyre mates now though::bigsmile: even friends on facebook:Eeek:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If the site owners have put a rule in, then you have a choice. So the caravan club say for their sites...

a) Owners of pets are responsible for the behaviour of their animals. They must ensure that pets are on leads and under control at all times or tethers of sufficient strength not exceeding 3 metres (10 feet) in length.

so you know where you stand. We were on a CCC site last week and saw the warden speak to an owner opposite us whose dog was not on a lead but was sitting by their van door. The owner got upset, usual statements about what a lovely, quiet dog it is, but the warden stood their ground and basically said put the dog on a lead or leave.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
A pity more wardens/site owners don't enforce thier own rules, we have a Rotty and for obvious reasons we are naturally very carefull with him whilst exercising etc we do use an extending lead but ONLY allow slack when in a safe place to do so I might also add this also means no where near any other outfit or pitch. What does annoy me is when fellow dog owners allow thier dogs to roam free on site (we only use CL / CS type sites) despite the rules, they then stupidly allow thier dogs to approach any other dogs including ours with no possible way of predicting the outcome, luckily so far my dog seems quite tolerant but if another dog that was not on a lead attacked him who knows what could happen ( when he was a puppy he was attacked by three un tethered dogs at a carboot sale). I totally believe that all dogs should be on a lead when in any public place this is for the dogs sake as well as others.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As dog owners we always clean up after them and keep them on leads when appropriate but are increasingly aware that more & more councils are introducing bylaws demanding that dogs are on leads AT ALL TIMES IN A PUBLIC PLACE which basicly means anywhere that we have access to- so beware that when away in your van you're not breaking a new local bylaw.
In fact our local council (SLDC) are trying to pass such a law.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I had to clear the front of my drive this morning to get my car out, some kind sole had dragged a dog from one side to the other dropping it,s shit from one side to the other, just waiting to be carried in the house or over the car if I hadent seen it. Not amused. Pete :Angry::Angry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I find a problem with small yappy dogs that are off the lead or on an extended lead. I have a well behaved large dog who pic's up on aggression from other dogs especially when he is muzzled. I ask the normally 40s school teacher type to keep their yappy dog away, this is usually meet with dangerous dogs shouldn't be here. Even though my dog is on a short heavy metal lead, choker with muzzle. :Doh:

My dog will play with other dogs fine when he is off the lead but the same 40s school teacher type start screaming at me that my dog should be on the lead.:Doh:
I find that some dog owners are very self-opinionated.:RollEyes:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I agree with above comments short leads should be banned in public places also dog mess should ALWAYS be picked up there is no excuse were it is , a friend of mine who was a very good rugby player lost his leg because of someone to lazy to clean their dogs mess up.

My Brother had a new shoulder joint due to the same stuff.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
My now deceased Grandmother said at my wedding to my first wife-"You should avoid people who don't like dogs".
How right she was!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
My now deceased Grandmother said at my wedding to my first wife-"You should avoid people who don't like dogs".
How right she was!

I didn,t say I dont like dogs just the people who dont clear up and cause all the problems.

I have quite a few friends with various sized dogs , who clean up after the pet dog has it should be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back